Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 Legacy Wagon vs. 2007 Outback Wagon

My friend here in SLC (a member, but too shy to post) is about to buy either a 2007 Legacy wagon or a 2007 Outback wagon. Both are base models - manual transmission, smaller motor, etc.

The Outback is about $2000 more. I understand that the Outback has better clearance and that sporty two-toned look, but what additional features does it have that she should consider?

Sounds like there are some pretty good deals on last year's models - the Legacy is $18k something and the Outback is $20k something.

Also, any SLC mags have an opinion on Nate Wade vs. Mark Miller? I bought a used 4Runner from Nate Wade and had a good experience, but have no direct experience with Mark Miller.

Said Subaru will be used for 40-50 trips/season up & down LCC and an occasional jaunt to JH or Silverton.

(I didn't search, get over it.)

Essentially the same car, OB has some additional body cladding, about 1" of additional ground clearance and slightly bigger tires. The regular Legacy will probably have a little less body roll and handle a little better due to lower ground clearance. OB would be marginally better for deep snow busting and dirt road travel.

Personally I would think it's pretty much a wash, go with the one she likes better.

I'd go for the OB.
    Sometimes you have to let your bad self ski...

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Essentially the same car, OB has some additional body cladding, about 1" of additional ground clearance and slightly bigger tires. The regular Legacy will probably have a little less body roll and handle a little better due to lower ground clearance. OB would be marginally better for deep snow busting and dirt road travel.

Personally I would think it's pretty much a wash, go with the one she likes better.
    Bumping an old thread.

I'm picking between the 05 Legacy GT wagon or the 05 Outback XT, both in stick. I've test-driven both and don't mind the handling differences, so now my main concern is snow/dirt road travel. From experience, exactly how "marginal" is the difference? I know it's ~3", but how does that translate into what you can or can't do? Now, I'm not planning on doing any real off-roading but I'd just like to be able to go on the decently maintained kinds of roads you see in national parks/forests that are marked as "4wd recommended." Am I going to be hurting every 5 seconds with the Legacy as rocks get kicked up into my new car's underside?

And another thing -- have there been any noteworthy changes to the Outback XT between the 05 and 08 model years?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Am I going to be hurting every 5 seconds with the Legacy as rocks get kicked up into my new car's underside?
    yes. As to the changes, I can't tell ya.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

I've owned both a legacy and an outback and I found my legacy wagon to be the better allrounder. Given that the OB has slightly higher clearance it proves more handy if your fording the odd stram or creek apart from that, the OB has no significant benefits.
    With the legacy you get better open road handling, cheaper tyres, and better fuel economy.
    I'd say got the Legacy.

I went with the Legacy myself, but a SE (I wanted a sunroof). I like the look of the Legacy better, especially out there, they won't be passing themselves at every light. I also like the lower center of gravity of the LEg SW. The Leg will give 1-2MPG better but that is minimal.

Click. Point. Chute.

I went with a Legacy wagon, been pretty happy so far. There've been a couple times I could've used the extra inch or two of the OB but I made it through (albeit a bit slower and with a scrape or two).

Thanks yall. I completely agree that the Legacy looks way less awkward, and the handling difference would probably become more noticeable once I drive it regularly. I'm currently leaning towards the Outback to be able to go on dirt roads -- I probably won't need it that much, but I'm sure that if I were to get the Legacy I'd shake my fist every time I scraped/got shut out of a dirt road.

I have what seems like a good deal on an '06 XT scoped out in CT, which I'd have to have shipped, and an 05 Legacy GT just showed up for sale in San Jose, which I could check out in person. Tough choices ahead... Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by BigKuba; 12-09-2007 at 10:16 PM.

I looked pretty hard for a local Legacy Wagon without much luck. I definitely would have taken that over the Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I went with the Legacy myself, but a SE (I wanted a sunroof). I like the look of the Legacy better, especially out there, they won't be passing themselves at every light. I also like the lower center of gravity of the LEg SW. The Leg will give 1-2MPG better but that is minimal.

i have this same rig in white. We call it the Manpon but it kicks ass. I also got it at Nate Wade and had the best car purchasing experience I've ever had .
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by birdboatboy View Post
    I looked pretty hard for a local Legacy Wagon without much luck. I definitely would have taken that over the Outback.
    Yep. Not many of these in SoCal either -- my current options appear to be in CT, TX, and one that just appeared in the Bay Area. The last two are within reasonable distance to fly out to to pick up...

I got an 08 Outback 2.5i for 20,500 (all dealer fees included) + tax, and title. There are some good deals out there if you know what you're doing.

Try using this website for some ideas on what to do when you're negotiating.

Personally, I used the fax 35 dealers method, got a price that I wanted, and then dangled it in front of a more local dealer that gave me the same deal so that I could stay local.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this:

OK, let's hear it -- why shouldn't I buy this car?

- 2006 Outback XT LTD, manual
    - 30,000 miles
    - 1 owner
    - clean Carfax
    - black on black
    - short shifter + SPT air intake options, installed by Subaru as options so according to the owner it doesn't void warranty

- Owner has a small business and this is his company car -- he gets a new one every 2 years. He likes cars
    - "The body is flawless…there are a few highway spots as sand hits the front of the car blemishes but really small." The dude claims to wax the car every month with his polisher… I sense that he likes his cars
    - Still under warranty, can get extended warranty from Subaru
    - Used the car for commuting, mostly highway
    - "syncro’s are perfect…never dropped clutch starts…"
    - Original tires…they have about 40 percent tread left…"gives you an indication that I don’t drive the crap out of it."
    - Never off-roaded
    - Subaru recalled the Outbacks for a ECU and the digital readout for temp and MPG and a new ones were installed.
    - Owner has receipts for the Mobil 1 oil and filters every 5k mi… "most of them I think."
    - and the kicker: Only Barry Manilow CD’s played so speakers are like new.

Asking $20,500 + cost of shipping cross-country and associated costs of doing the deal remotely (~$800 below KBB)

I got some pictures here

What else should I ask about?

Thanks for your help -- I'll be giving out rides to Mammoth in gratitude.

Subaru recalled the Outbacks for a ECU and the digital readout for temp and MPG and a new ones were installed.
    ?

Anyone know more about this recall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ?

I'd PM Iceman. His brother is a Subaru mechanic.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

OK, let's hear it -- why shouldn't I buy this car?

- 2006 Outback XT LTD, manual
    - 30,000 miles
    - 1 owner
    - clean Carfax
    - black on black
    - short shifter + SPT air intake options, installed by Subaru as options so according to the owner it doesn't void warranty

- Owner has a small business and this is his company car -- he gets a new one every 2 years. He likes cars
    - "The body is flawless…there are a few highway spots as sand hits the front of the car blemishes but really small." The dude claims to wax the car every month with his polisher… I sense that he likes his cars
    - Still under warranty, can get extended warranty from Subaru
    - Used the car for commuting, mostly highway
    - "syncro’s are perfect…never dropped clutch starts…"
    - Original tires…they have about 40 percent tread left…"gives you an indication that I don’t drive the crap out of it."
    - Never off-roaded
    - Subaru recalled the Outbacks for a ECU and the digital readout for temp and MPG and a new ones were installed.
    - Owner has receipts for the Mobil 1 oil and filters every 5k mi… "most of them I think."
    - and the kicker: Only Barry Manilow CD’s played so speakers are like new.

Asking $20,500 + cost of shipping cross-country and associated costs of doing the deal remotely (~$800 below KBB)

I got some pictures here

Thanks for your help -- I'll be giving out rides to Mammoth in gratitude.
    Where in CT is it? I'm no mechanic, but I can probably recommend one to take a look at it if its nearby.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Essex, CT

That would be great, mang.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ?

it's not the ecu, it's the trip computer (mpg, outside temp, miles before empty)...it doesn't start up fast enough when you turn the key right away, and the readout goes to --:-- for the trip timer. It will work if you insert key and start the vehicle after 1 second.

There was an ECU flash update to address a 'studder' problem (these are electronic throttle, no cables). Word is mixed on whether it helped or not. My studder has gone away, or I have learned to work with the computer on the throttle...electronic throttle on these suck for rev matching.
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 12-10-2007 at 08:08 PM.

- black on black - Best color outback IMHO- short shifter + SPT air intake options, installed by Subaru as options so according to the owner it doesn't void warranty The stock air intake is good all the way up to 300hp, SPT one won't do you much good, could even hurt since it doesnt pull the coldest air

- Original tires…they have about 40 percent tread left…"gives you an indication that I don’t drive the crap out of it." These are Pozeta 92RE's - they suck, if they have 40% left at 30k, that's cool, but I doubt it - do yourself a favor and factor in a new set of tires, they suck

- Subaru recalled the Outbacks for a ECU and the digital readout for temp and MPG and a new ones were installed. see above- Owner has receipts for the Mobil 1 oil and filters every 5k mi… "most of them I think."
    [/URL]

30k, time for all fluids to be changed + spark plugs (manual says 60k for plugs, but I would do it now based on my own plugs). This 2.5 - 3hrs labor + $10-$15 per plug (Lazer Iridium are OEM). I did it on my own in 5hrs, it's a bitch to do.

read up on this website - legacygt.com

I have a 06 OBXT MT with 62,000miles.

Would be a good idea to check the banjo bolt on the turbo once you get one - it's not hard if you have tools. see website above.

edit: The paint chips very easy on the nose and bumper of the car, atleast my '06 has. So if the front is in good shape, good deal.

edit II: 2008 subaru turbo models have recommendation of oil changes every 3,500miles, no matter if they are 'severe service' or not, IRRC. Nothing much is different between 05-08 legacy GT or outback XT's, so factor in more frequent oil changes too. That said, I've gone 3,000 - 5,000 miles between changes with no problems to date, very little metal in my banjo filter (Mobil 1).
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 12-10-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Word. I've heard about the stock tires being crap. I read the recco to ask for different tires if buying new, but beggars can't be choosers. What do the maggots recommend for occasional snow but mostly warm-weather driving?

What's the ballpark damage on the suggested service? I'm a car repair JONG -- have been driving a '96 Honda Accord with 195k miles on it that's ever had exactly 5 things wrong with it.

Thanks a ton, dude

can't speak for dollars on labor, might call your lube shop. You could do all the fluids in an afternoon on your own.

Spark plugs sucked to do on my own - my hands still look like I got in a cat fight. Probably $300+ or so to have someone do that, but really if your under warranty, you could wait until 60,000miles (I did, but only found out about the 2008 model suggested schedual a few weeks ago). Check on legacygt.com and see exactly when the 2008 models are supposed to change plugs, I would suggest following that schedual. They are almost the same car, except there is no cat. in the uppipe.

Solid car, I love it. Did lose 2 wheel bearings in the first 10k miles, but it was covered. Many others had the same issue.

Word. I've heard about the stock tires being crap. I read the recco to ask for different tires if buying new, but beggars can't be choosers. What do the maggots recommend for occasional snow but mostly warm-weather driving?
    Nokian WRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

07 Outback

Yo, Big Kuba,

We have an 07 Outback for sale if you are at all interested in that.

5500 miles, winter package, no trips up I70 in the winter. Comes with the extended warranty (100k or 7 years).

Let me know if you are interested.

TChuck,

Is it an XT? And in stick? Yeah, I know I'm picky.

If not, I still have a question -- Could you tell me about the extended warranty? What does it cover for the period beyond the default 3 year/36K miles? I'm found a 2006 XT with that warranty and a kinda high asking price, (~$2400 above KBB Excellent condition) so I'm trying to get a sense for what the warranty is worth. And if I remember correctly, the seller can transfer the warranty or cash out a prorated portion of it. Can you verify?

Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post
    Yo, Big Kuba,

We have an 07 Outback for sale if you are at all interested in that.

5500 miles, winter package, no trips up I70 in the winter. Comes with the extended warranty (100k or 7 years).

Let me know if you are interested.
    Last edited by BigKuba; 12-19-2007 at 07:43 PM.