Surfing in September?

A slightly earlier version of comish's post...

Let me preface this by saying that I am a complete and utter surfing JONG. Neither my girlfriend nor I have ever surfed before, but at 25 and 26, respectively, it's about goddamn time that we learn. We're looking to take a trip somewhere warm and tropical for about 5-7 days in the middle of September, with the main goal being to have as much surfing time as possible. SCUBA access would also be sweet, but not necessary. Accessibility from Atlanta (read: relatively cheap airfare) would be a bonus, but we want to leave the country. It seems like a surf school is probably a good bet, but I have no idea. We're not looking to spend too much money, but it doesn't have to be super budget either.

With that as a backdrop, where should we head? Costa Rica? I hear it is the rainy season there. I assume that would hold true for Nicaragua as well. Baja?

Any advice or suggestions from the collective would be very, very much appreciated.

you won't come close to surfing in 5-7 days so just sit on a beach
    Elvis has left the building

So, to be clear, I won't come close to surfing in 5-7 days because it's not possible to surf anywhere in September or because 5-7 days isn't enough to become a "less than mediocre at best" surfer? If it is the former, then thank you for the ambiguous, but helpful answer to my question. If it is the latter, I don't need to be Johnny Extremo or even Johnny Extremo's mentally and physically handicapped cousin, I just want to start giving surfing a whirl before it is too late.

If anybody has any helpful information, that would be great.
    Last edited by Switters; 07-12-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Switters View Post
    So, to be clear, I won't come close to surfing in 5-7 days because it's not possible to surf anywhere in September or because 5-7 days isn't enough to become a "less than mediocre at best" surfer? If it is the former, then thank you for the ambiguous, but helpful answer to my question. If it is the latter, I don't need to be Johnny Extremo or even Johnny Extremo's mentally and physically handicapped cousin, I just want to start giving surfing a whirl before it is too late.

If anybody has any helpful information, that would be great.

Eh KOOK. If you don't surf, don't start. Plenny Kooks in da watah already. Unless you want me to use your head as punching bag den stay outta da watah Barney.

It took me 2 full weeks going every day before I was able to stand up and make a decent turn on the wave. WMMV, but unless surfing is all you will be doing in that 5-7 days my guess is you'll be doing a lot of paddling but not much "surfing". It's the hardest thing I've ever learned to do - period. You don't just "give it a whirl", you have to commit.

Boarddad, you put forth a very excellent point, and one that I fully anticipated and recognized. On the other hand, you have to start somewhere, and that's what I am looking to do. Surely, if I had three months right now to do nothing but surf, I would love to do it, but that is not the reality of my life at this juncture (although possibly soon). I mean, if I had listened to somebody tell me (or my parents) that I shouldn't bother going to ski for a week when I was young because all I would do is fall and be on the bunny slope, then I wouldn't have developed the passion and moderate skill that I possess for that sport today. Same with mountain biking. I just want to add another passionate and soul-driven sport to the life quiver, you know?

Costa Rica or Sayulita. (from what I have heard, haven't been) Don't worry about the rainy season in CR, a non issue. Find a break that is more mellow/long board oriented, rent a large board, get some lessons, and get pummelled for 5 hours a day and you will be standing up if you are remotely athletic / coordinated and understand the ocean at all.

Its a blast, but you will get pummelled. I would check out Tamarindo for CR as its full of Jongs/kooks and the break in town is pretty mellow. Otherwise check out Mal Pais where the crowds spread out a bit more and there are a bunch of surf camps. Mal Pais is a stronger wave, more deserted, with surf camps dotting a dirt road up the beach a ways with no central town. Tamarindo is a bustling town that has grown massively and has a fun party scene. Lots more people in Tamarindo and prolly more $$$.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Don't listen to 'em, Switters. They probably think resort skiing is hard, too .

You can have fun even if you never wind up standing up. Just being in the water in a cool place is fun enough. And if you're able to ride something, even if it's whitewater, then all the better.

I've only surfed a handful of times and am no where as extreme as CJ or Vince, but I sorta know my way around the water. IMO the hardest thing is paddling and knowing where to be to choose and catch waves. If you dink around on waves big enough to push you, but small enough to not overwhelm you, you'll have fun, as I have now that I'm near the water again (woo).

j-
    Last edited by jayfrizzo; 07-12-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Eh KOOK. If you don't surf, don't start. Plenny Kooks in da watah already. Unless you want me to use your head as punching bag den stay outta da watah Barney.
    Mmm, warm and fuzzy. Love the positive energy.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mo View Post
    Mmm, warm and fuzzy. Love the positive energy.
    VALLEY GO HOME!

Shit. I just wrote a long, helpful reply that just got erased cuz I hit the wrong button.

Summary -

No worries, go for it. Take a lesson first time out. Switch from the giant barn door squishy board that you'll probably start with to a more normal longboard (hard-bottom, at least) after a day or so. Less stable, but infinitely faster and easier to catch waves on. You'll basically never catch anything w/ the barn door board.

I went from almost-never-ever to being able to paddle in, stand up, turn, and generally have fun in about 7 2-hr sessions over a 2-week period last summer. Granted, these were small waves (maybe waist high), I was on longboard, and my turns were simply that, changes of direction, not anything remotely resembling what a real surfer does. But it was great fun.

I have no idea what these people are doing that can't stand up after 2 weeks of daily 4-hr sessions.

Ignore the bro-brahs, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I have no idea what these people are doing that can't stand up after 2 weeks of daily 4-hr sessions.
    I would imagine they are surfing at a faster break not some uber-mushy break that's been commandeered by a bunch of toolbox surfschools.

but then, you are another expert from inland

pick a place you would like to go on vacation. enjoy it. if you want to ride a board and think you are surfing so be it.
    Last edited by cj001f; 07-12-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Didn't mean to discourage - just wanted to give a feel for what they are in for. I should have added, I learned to surf on the Central Coast in CA on a short board - no instruction other than the school of hard knocks.

go to costa. float in the water. stay out of the way. you'll have fun.

mal pais for a little more punch. good diving around in montezuma. or gor to tamarindo for town and gentler surf.

if you do not expect much in 5 days, you'll have fun getting pushed around in tropical water. Might even stand up, might even turn.

do it.

Texas seems like the perfect foreign country for what ails you.

listen hear kook if u wana learn to surf go to mavericks its the easiest place to learn.

Altantic Hurricane season sooooooooooo hot.
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"

Quote Originally Posted by sea2ski View Post
    Altantic Hurricane season sooooooooooo hot.
    True but nothing is happening yet.......Where you around for Ernesto last year?
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

What a dick....eat shit asshole....hawaii is full of fat fags and ice heads...

Second the Mal Pais suggestion. I've been there and to Tamarindo as a surf JONG and had a great time in both places, just really depends on what you're looking for. Mal Pais is a great place to go if you just want to hang out, surf and go to bed. If you want the party, Tamarindo is much better for that.

They both have fairly mellow beach breaks that are good to learn on, and will give you consistent waves you can learn on. In Tamarindo, I found going North past the estuary, and away from the resorts, got more consistent surf and far less crowds. Spent four days in a row on that beach in early Oct and never saw anyone else out there, even when the break in front of the resort was packed.

In five days you should be getting up no problem. Lessons are good, but I rode a couple waves my first day just trying it out on my own.

Captain Obvious to the rescue....this thread is almost 5 years old, timing is everything.

Hi, Dear possibilities of browsing in September are not that excellent, with October probably the season when the sea is smooth most times. Cocles Seaside Crack is excellent if there is a browse and there are several locations very close.
    aged care community
    Last edited by Brad52; 09-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Don't be so cheap! Go to OZ and surf Kirra point, and then hit all the spot's south of there. Trip of a life time. OH YEAH, I forgot you can't surf. BUMMER, oh well at least there's nude beaches.