Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm pretty sure the trails on Moran are closed to bikes in the summer, but I've also heard that they're "soft" closures... I have never been up there to bike so I have no idea. White Chocolate has been there a bunch so he might know.

SJI has some pretty user-friendly biking in the DNR land by the alpaca farm just south of British Camp (if you're driving from town, turn right on the gravel road just before the white picket fence and park by the gate 300m up. It's about 1/4 mile past the westside road intersection). Just watch out for the nettles and blackberries on the side of the trail.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Wow. A lot has already been said but I wanted to let you know what I did...

I climbed Mt. Adams two summers ago and then met up with a friend in Seattle. We didn't have a car so we took a ferry (The Victoria Clipper, I think) up to Friday Harbor. From there we bought food at the grocery store and a map at one of the kayak rental places before getting on the ferry to Lopez Island. After getting off of the ferry we hitchiked to Lopez Kayaks where we rented our kayaks (they had the best prices). We stored our extra gear with them and then did a 4-5 day paddling trip and it was awesome.

You'll have a great time up there: it is an amazing place.

-fool

Oh yeah, if you're going to do ^^^ I recommend not shopping on the island, or at least not shopping at King's.
    Marketplace is an easy walk from town and usually considerably cheaper, not tot mention they have a much greater natural/hippy/organic food section.
    Better yet, shop on the mainland.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Marketplace is an easy walk from town and usually considerably cheaper, not tot mention they have a much greater natural/hippy/organic food section.
    Better yet, shop on the mainland.
    While I don't miss island prices, there are a few things at hippy foods at marketplace I can't find over here.

Yeah, the bike trails at Moran are closed in summer, and they will give you a ticket. Hit up Mitchell hill on San Juan instead. Of course if you did get stopped in Moran you could always drop my name with the head ranger...
    Living vicariously through myself.

Just got back. What a sweet place, nice laid back vibe for sure.

We were lucky enough to see a couple pods come together with perfect weather. Probably saw about 40 altogether, one even went under our boat. Intense!

Last edited by Yonder_River; 09-11-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Any tips on B & B's out this way?
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Quote Originally Posted by skimoore View Post
    Bump...looking for a different place to stay...we're going up there for my GF's birthday and had booked a room at the Rosario resort on Orcas, but having read many negative reviews, I'm thinking we should stay somewhere else...

Any recs? We just want a clean, nice, quiet, beautiful place that will be plenty relaxing...
    I highly recommend Doe Bay. They are up the road a bit from Rosario, and can be on the granola/soy side, but their location is top notch and they do have some very nice accomodations (as well as some very scaled down accomodations). I wouldn' send my parents here, but I have gone with girlfriends and family and we've always liked the vibe, the yurts, the view, the quiet, and the kick ass restaurant.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I heard Doe Bay has changed in the last few years and isn't as hippyish as it used to be but I haven't been over there in a while. I can't think of any B&Bs over here other than Edenwilde in Lopez village, I don't know who owns it now but my gf liked it when we stayed there. I'll look in the phone book and see who's doing that now.

We did a last minute float plane trip up to the Rosario two years ago. It was a little dated, but I thought it was a pretty nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    Any tips on B & B's out this way?
    Yeah, hop's house.

B&B's are expensive in the islands. Will you going on foot or taking a car? Which island(s), or do you care? Do you want to stay in town or out on the view side?
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Yeah, hop's house.

B&B's are expensive in the islands. Will you going on foot or taking a car? Which island(s), or do you care? Do you want to stay in town or out on the view side?
    My house is more of a "floor and grill" vs. a "bed and breakfast".

But unless you're coming before the end of August, I'm outta here.

On SJI I'd recommend Juniper Lane Guest House for a reasonably central (outskirts of Friday Harbor) and reasonably priced place.

The Bonin Petrels

Mackaye Harbor Inn down here on the south end (of Lopez) also has a B&B, much quieter than in the village if thats what your looking for. There's not much going on here like there is on Orcas or San Juan, everything closes at 7:00 (exept the 2 bars) and the roads are empty by 8:00. If you want touristy stuff to do go to San Juan, Friday Harbor is our big city. Orcas has lots of artsy types and gallerys. Lopez is just Quiet and slow, too slow for most people.

Thanks all. We'll have a car, and a dog, which limits us. Right now i'm looking at Blue Heron Bed and Breakfast on Orcas west bay.

We'll be there sunday and monday, the 17 and 18 of August.

I will check out the suggested places. Thanks!
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

If your going to Orcas, hike up Turtleback Mountain on the west side for great views of the San Juans, Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island.(its OK to bring the dog.)
    If you kayak, I recommend a guide. The currents in the San Juans , esp. when combined with an opposing wind, can make for conditions that can easily put you in over your head--and the water is hypothermia inducing cold. Check out Body Boat and Blade -excellent outfit with great guides and gear.

Have fun, its a giant playground out here!
    I can smell it

The Stecklers by Hummel Lake on Lopez used to have a pretty open policy as long as you contributed (clean the house/dishes/weed the garden). Class old style hipsters. Best juggle fests evah.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Nothing but good things to say about these guys Sea Quest Kayaking. My wife has used them to put on corporate events and we've done a few longer trips with groups of friends.
    A deeply shitty experience over the weekend on a family trip with one of their co-founder/owners. Worst guide/outdoor leadership/instruction I have ever seen.

Day completely saved by the pleasant professionalsim of the junior guide our group was assigned to.

Ask whether Sam will be on your trip - if he is - run away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A deeply shitty experience over the weekend on a family trip with one of their co-founder/owners. Worst guide/outdoor leadership/instruction I have ever seen.

Day completely saved by the pleasant professionalsim of the junior guide our group was assigned to.

Ask whether Sam will be on your trip - if he is - run away.
    was that with Martin or Mark?

Sea Quest has gone downhill in the past few years. I was able to recommend them last year because I knew some of the guides, but now that all of the ones I know have left the company (over shady company policies) I can't recommend them.

Outdoor Odysseys and Discovery are the only two I can deal with now, with the nod going to OO.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    was that with Martin or Mark?

Sea Quest has gone downhill in the past few years. I was able to recommend them last year because I knew some of the guides, but now that all of the ones I know have left the company (over shady company policies) I can't recommend them.

Outdoor Odysseys and Discovery are the only two I can deal with now, with the nod going to OO.
    Sam.

Guy almost had a nervous breakdown at the roundabout in Friday Harbor and was shouting at clients and his other guides by the time we got to the beach.

He was snippy with my 12 year old neice while getting her fitted with a PFD.... but quickly realized this course of action was going to be extremely bad for his health.

Our group ended up with one of the very cool younger d00ds guiding us on the water and we ended up having a good day.

No orcas though. Please can you return the check I sent you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........