Thread: 7 speed to...

7 speed to...

Hunted around on MTBR but thought I'd ask around these parts as well. Older 7 spd Stumpjumper that needs a new cassette after I shattered my chain mid ride this weekend. Can I throw on an 8 spd (I already run 8 spd shifters) cass and a new derailleur? Sizing of the cassettes the same?
    If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix...
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Re: 7 speed to...

Originally posted by CougarHunter
    Hunted around on MTBR but thought I'd ask around these parts as well. Older 7 spd Stumpjumper that needs a new cassette after I shattered my chain mid ride this weekend. Can I throw on an 8 spd (I already run 8 spd shifters) cass and a new derailleur? Sizing of the cassettes the same?
    yes you will need a new cassette, and a new chain. However, it is kinda tough finding 8 speed stuff these days.
    smoke crack and worship satan

I don't know about mtb, but you should be able to go from 7 to 8 without problem. As far as finding the parts, do a web search. I can check for you at Velo and Bike Central here in PDX- they stock lots of older parts.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

TinV, thanks for the Jenson link, money. Grease monkey by my house claims "it i'll probably work, you just need a new wheelset, blah, blah, blah, $300." We'll just see about that.
    If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix...
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Might not hurt to take some measurements, the grease monkey may be onto something. I had an older ('92) frame & 7-speed wheel set that wouldn't take an 8-speed cassette.

Yeah, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new wheelset. I'm hard on stuff (6'2", 215) so it's probably time to upgrade.
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing

Question well...

if you're already getting this stuff:
    wheelset
    derailleur
    chain
    cassette

you should just get this also:
    9 speed shifter pods

and upgrade to 9 speed. not worth it to spend all that $ and only end up w/ 8 speed, man.
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet