Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ray Allen?! are you joking!?

i mean did that just happen?

fuck you danny.

Unbelievably bad trade. He is old and his contract is long. The celtics wont sniff the playoffs for the next five years.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Fuck that they suck anyway. Ray Allen is a top 15 player for a couple more years still. After that we have a shitload of cap space (Pierce and Allen gone). Big Gay Al, Pierce, and Allen could make the eastern finals with 2 stiffs from Sullivans Tap playing pop a shot
    Decisions Decisions

hahaha, i laughed at that one.

3 gators in the top 10. shit, florida should've just moved to the nba.
    fine

God, I love Ainge. Ray freaking Allen, you've got to be kidding me. Also, to mention the NBA Eastern Conference champion as a contender versus the Western Conference winner is a complete joke. So what Iverson made it to the finals.

Why does Stephen A. Smith still have a job? Stop yelling at me.

Bill Simmons ought to have a field day with this one.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 06-28-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Well, the reactions to the (still not officially announced by David Stren) deal for Ray Allen are pouring in, and so far it has been 100 percent against this deal. Not a single person so far in favor. Even reaction to the Telfair trade last year wasn't this one-sided. Knee-jerk or nail-in-the-coffin for Danny?
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...as/green_room/

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Also, to mention the NBA Eastern Conference champion as a contender versus the Western Conference winner is a complete joke.
    Like Detroit? Or Miami? Eastern Conf champ has been the underdog at least the last 4 years, and they have won last year and 2 years before. Once youre in the finals...its a crapshoot, as both teams are going to be good enough to win
    Decisions Decisions

Yep, 2 of the last 9. Way to make my point.

10 of the last 20. What was your point?

I guess my point is that Ray Allen might make a difference in Boston getting to the playoffs but it won't amount to anything close to a Finals victory. Which is what Ainge, I guess, thinks he's accomplishing with this trade. Teams from the east can win but for the most part it is a JV division when compared to the West.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 06-28-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Seattle did kill it with Durant and Green

Would you rather have
    Oden
    or
    Durant and Green?
    Last edited by renoenvy; 06-28-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I've had sangria, and I felt the 'and' needed italics

Durant and Green. Probably gets them a new arena as well.

So basom, should I take back your welcome to NYC gift?

its a throwback
    all the kids rock em &
    allen and Pierce together wil be the best team y'all have seen in a long while.......
    for 2 years

Like what the Jazz got in Almond. Stevie Franchise Wrecker for "head case" Zach Randolph. WTF?

I was just arguing this with peeps at work- they were saying it was a bad trade to get rid of Allen. I was saying it was a great deal for us (seattle). It's good to know that random people on the internet agree with me.

Great trade for Seattle, bad-but-necessary trade for the Cs. They needed to do something to improve immediately, or Pierce would have been demanding a trade by midseason. They will win more games this year than they would have won sans tanking last season; it's not a building move for the future but one made to appease a guy who signed an extension after being told his team wasn't in rebuilding mode.

It was either trade Pierce and wind up with two nickels for a dime, the #5, and a twelve win season, or make the deal, mortgage the future a little, get into the playoffs (which they will), and keep the franchise from dropping off the NBA map.

You guys can just imagine the hand-wringing going on on EEI about this. I got to Boston a few days ago and it was bad with Celtics related draft stuff, but now it's crazy.
    Thank God the Sox are back tonight.
    [quote][//quote]

I can. not. wait. to listen to The Big Show today. It is going to be out of control.

I expect my EEI to be all Sox all the time...which it usually is, and which probably isn't so good for people who listen to it all the time, but since I only hear it when I'm around Boston I'm amused (yes, easily amused yet again). It just occurred to me that having Danny Ainge GM the Celtics is like having some random EEI listener GM them, and this Ray Allen thing falls right into that scheme.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to muster much enthusiasm for the Celtics since they lost to the Hornets in the 93(?) playoffs.
    [quote][//quote]

I listen to it every day and I hate Pete Shepherd. Knows absolutely nothing and cant make a cogent point, whether I agree with it or not.
    Decisions Decisions

Like what the Jazz got in Almond. Stevie Franchise Wrecker for "head case" Zach Randolph. WTF?
    I agree
    a coachable shooter, just what we need.
    our team is loaded for bear, but the window will be small as the spurs/mavs/suns decline and the blazers and warriors just got better.
    and Randolf is a perfect Knick, loud abrasive, scorer who couldnt defend a 12 year old on a dunk hoop
    I actually will enjoy watching him next year.

Stevie Franchise Wrecker for "head case" Zach Randolph. WTF?
    Correction: Francis' contract for Randolph. We did it because Steve will leave after one season, thus putting us $20m under the cap in time for the Lebron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes, while also freeing up enough to resign Roy and Aldridge the next year. Franchise will barely see the light of day.

I'll admit that at first, I was like "what the fuck?" But after you do the math, it's a win-win for both teams. Oh, and Zach will be in Riker's by 2009. The guy found more trouble in Portland than a sex offender in Bangkok. Just imagine him in NYC!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Just imagine him in NYC!
    I'm officially terrified. No strip joint in the city is safe now.

Pete Sheppard hates Hingham.

Interesting take from si.com:

NEW YORK -- It has been quite a roller coaster ride these last two months for Danny Ainge. The beleaguered Boston Celtics director of basketball operations oversaw one of the worst seasons in the Celtics' storied history and saw his only chance at redemption -- landing the top overall pick in the NBA draft -- lost with a fateful bounce of a Ping-Pong ball. His frantic attempts to acquire the type of veteran talent that would appease franchise player Paul Pierce while not gutting the franchise of its youth fell short. Kevin Garnett wouldn't play for them. Shawn Marion would, but only if Boston agreed to pay him like Garnett. It seemed hopeless.

So how did it happen that in one night Ainge somehow came up smelling like roses? For starters, Boston's acquisition of Jesus Shuttlesworth, er, Ray Allen was a stroke of genius. In Allen, Ainge picks up arguably the league's best perimeter shooter whose presence alone will open up huge driving lanes for Pierce. Despite playing in just 55 games for the floundering Sonics last season, Allen averaged 26.4 points on 43.8 percent shooting. Granted Allen is owed nearly $52 million over the next three seasons; but at 31 (he will turn 32 next month), the UConn product is still capable of averaging 22-25 points per night in the Boston offense, where he will benefit from playing with a slashing scorer (Pierce) and a legitimate low-post presence (Jefferson). For all of Rashard Lewis's wonderful talents, he was neither.

And the truth is, Boston didn't have to give up that much. Other than adding to a growing collection of players named Green, Jeff Green didn't have much to offer the Celtics, who are committed to developing 2005 top pick Gerald Green at the small forward position. By jettisoning Wally Szczerbiak, the Celtics rid themselves of a locker room lawyer who never meshed in Boston and Delonte West's departure hurts a lot less than it would have -- had Boston been forced to include Rajon Rondo in the deal. In the second round, Ainge continued to stockpile talent. Former USC point guard Gabe Pruitt steps in as Rondo's backup, while many scouts rated Glen "Big Baby" Davis, who came over as part of the Allen deal, as a first-round talent. Boston can now boast a Jefferson-Kendrick Perkins-Davis frontcourt rotation with Ryan Gomes filling in at both forward spots and the possibility of Theo Ratliff returning to provide depth at the center position. Hey, never underestimate a player with an expiring contract.

The draft-day dealing almost certainly puts Boston back in the playoffs, though it's tough to pinpoint exactly which team drops out. The injury-riddled Celtics were nowhere near as bad as their 24-58 record suggests; and with a healthy roster, they would have to be considered a strong candidate to win the Atlantic, which is unlikely to get more than two representatives in the postseason. Boston would also have the opportunity to dangle Ratliff and his expiring $11.6 million contract at the trading deadline, though indications are, if the oft-injured Ratliff sits out the season, the Celtics would elect to let him play out his contract (the bulk of which would be paid by insurance) and use the financial flexibility to lock up Jefferson long term.
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths