• Montana

76 29.92%
  • Northeast

8 3.15%
  • Other (explain below)

10 3.94%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Can you call it a 'mini' when it's attracts more mags than the last summit?
    by the way (and this doesn't disprove bklyn's point), those who did show up to the last summit had a good time anyway.

i feel compelled to point that out. there's so much noise about how nobody showed up.. but those who did, had fun.

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    No because those are at the end of the season, when most of the mountain is shut down.
    Oh, sorry, I never saw that rule.

Why don't you go ahead and organize another mammoth mini earlier in the year, since theres interest, everyone will vote on where they want the summit to be, and some people will go there, and if theres interest anywhere else, people will organize some other minis (or megas or quasis or whatever) for whatever part of the season they want.

I'm not sure why its so frustrating, my apologies if this is difficult for you.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    by the way (and this doesn't disprove bklyn's point), those who did show up to the last summit had a good time anyway.

i feel compelled to point that out. there's so much noise about how nobody showed up.. but those who did, had fun.

-steve
    Yeah, I was pretty damn bummed my injury kept me from getting down to the Western Colorado meetup, mostly 'cause I knew it would be a fun time. Plus, after laying down $175 for Silverton, Red Mtn Pass Hut, and the Observatory Lodge (plus kicking into marshal's hookers & blow fund) and then not being able to partake kinda made me sad in the pants. I am glad MrZach was able to pick up the slack, though.

I'd like to see the MT thing come together, especially around the Bridger Gully Freeride date - ideally, it could give the folks who are entering some pre-running time on the hill to gather beta. If we wanted to keep it in one general area, I'd agree BS/MB would be a good main venue, with a foray to the Bozone and BB.

Seein as how y'alls innerested in these here hills, i figgure,as such, welll I'd holler atcha bout 'er,

a Bozone resident, Bridger passholder, and MLB/BS occasional skier, I'd love to see a Maggot Summit around these parts. Specifically, Moonlight/Big Sky would be a great choice: Awesome terrain, always SOMETHING holding good snow on a mountain as big as Lone Peak, plenty of accomodations, +/- 1.5hrs from airport (BZN), bar-scene/music has improved, and liftlines almost non-existant.

Tyrone's idea of holding it around the same time as the Bridger Gully Freeride would be sweet: plenty of talent.

I'll volunteer to help organize, if MT is the choice.

You'd be hard-pressed to ski the terrain this place has in any less than 3 days,

Moonlight Basin/Big Sky Resort Terrain Statistics

2006-2007 Season
    Total lifts 24

Total skiable acres 5,512

Summit Elevation 11,166'

Base Elevation 6,800'

Mapped trails, glades and bowls 220+

Vertical Drop 4,350'

Longest run 6 miles

Average annual snowfall 400"

Also, the Tram is pretty fucking bad-ass.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    a mammoth summit could be fun..
    I concur. Ive never skied mammoth and Id get 50% tics off with my whistler pass. Ive never met yodachick, but Im willing to bet she'd organize the fuck out of it and it'd be a rockin time. Id also like to nominate hairy as lead tour guide.

My vote also goes to Mammoth. I'll probably only be in CA one more year and have yet to make it there. Shameful, I know, but trips there always seem to fall through. Definitely need to hit it before I leave. Was just talking about that with one of my ski buddies the other day.

Close 2nd and 3rd votes would be for BC or Utah. MT seems to be winning so far. Would actually really love to head there, but I know it's just not going to be a feasible travel destination for me next year.

Just a thought based on past summit experiences

This most successful summits have been in Utah and Tahoe. The options for airport to resort proximity, available accomodations, plus the multitude of resorts to ski played a big part in the satisfaction of all attending. Also, Whistler was nice, given the mountan and village, but with those new border crossing rules and passports required, it might reduce the numbers of who could attend.

It's nice to move it around, but it's hard meet those kind of criteria in very many places.

Whistler = $$$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    This most successful summits have been in Utah and Tahoe. The options for airport to resort proximity, available accomodations, plus the multitude of resorts to ski played a big part in the satisfaction of all attending. Also, Whistler was nice, given the mountan and village, but with those new border crossing rules and passports required, it might reduce the numbers of who could attend.

It's nice to move it around, but it's hard meet those kind of criteria in very many places.
    Good points. While it would be ideal to move it around to differnet places every year, there are only so many places that have the combination of access, terrain and infrastructure that are required to make a successfull summit.

The mammoth mini is so succesfull as a mini, I don't see why we just don't leave it at that. Maybe a rotation should be set up every 3 years so that we go to Utah and Tahoe every 3 years, then throw in a different location every 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    The mammoth mini is so succesfull as a mini, I don't see why we just don't leave it at that.
    I think the mammoth mini is memorial day weekend or later. it would be nice to ski mammoth at mid season conditions rather than slush season.

summits wont go off unless locals step up and play host, which takes some time & effort on someones part. not sure who is willing to step up in montana, but mammoth is guaranteed good times.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I think the mammoth mini is memorial day weekend or later. it would be nice to ski mammoth at mid season conditions rather than slush season.
    Precisely my point.

oh, and, the mini is always the first weekend the lift ticket price goes down, and it goes way down because the mountain shuts down about 2/3.

Mammy!..

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk43 View Post
    we should have it in Lebanon.
    Assuming you mean Lebanon, N.H., I'll take issue with the "hot chicks" part. The rest is true, though.

Assuming you mean Lebanon, the country, that would be pretty cool too.

Agreed on NH. Referring to the country indeed. The talent in Beirut will give you whiplash.
    Last edited by Spdfrk43; 06-26-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

I know there was a Lebanon article in one of the mags (or maybe it was a TR?). Did you ski when you were there? Are the resorts decent or do you have to tour? Actually, I guess the question is whether you are allowed to tour.

Just have it so it doesn't mean that we end up driving all over hell. Let's just keep it in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I know there was a Lebanon article in one of the mags (or maybe it was a TR?). Did you ski when you were there? Are the resorts decent or do you have to tour? Actually, I guess the question is whether you are allowed to tour.
    A few of the resorts are a bot too close to Israel, so touring is not adviced... Unless you're into getting shot at.

Most resorts only have prepared groomers like in Yurp, but some touring will get you to the goods. Mostly mellow (tree) skiing...

For bigger lines (and higher altitude), Iran is a top choice... Though not certain if it is the best destination for most of you peeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Most importantly, we need a dedicated organizer. I'd be down for Mammoth or Montana (haven't been there yet, would like to go), it may pay dividends to wait until the early season starts and see how the snow is shaping up. Both places have huge potential for boom or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Nah, I was there last summer. I got to check out the terrain when I went hiking at the Cedars, which I beleive is their 2nd biggest resort. The place left me drooling terrain-wise -- moderately steep w/ just a few trees and lots of cliff bands -- it'd just be a question of hitting it at the right time snow wise. As far as infrastructure, the Cedars has a couple rickety old doubles, but the ridgeline up top looked traversable enough. As far as Faraya, I haven't seen it, but have heard that the chairs/infrastructure are quite a bit further along and there's lots more terrain.
    I'm pretty sure there would be no problems with touring (I'd stick to stuff that is lift accessed though) as people hike all around these lifts in the summer with no problem.
    I've been tossing around the idea of going back this winter, but that'll probably depend on the job situation...and of course the Lebanese political situation.

www.skileb.com

Edit: The main resorts in Lebanon (Faraya, Cedars, etc.) are in the center/north --that's where the 9-10K elevations are -- and nowhere close to the Israeli border so no worries about getting shot at (but the new Syrian "resort" is apparently going in on the backside of an Israeli resort near Golan though -- that one should be interesting).
    Last edited by Spdfrk43; 07-14-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

I see Owens voted 'other'.
    Wonder what he's thinking?

Mammoth has the Davidson House which could be rented if its still available.22 beds for $831.00 a night total.
    http://www.mammoth-guest.com/groups-retreats.htm
    Last edited by TWINS; 07-14-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I see Owens voted 'other'.
    Wonder what he's thinking?
    AK

. . .

Really?

Would that be the first Heli Summit, Owens?

what about people who voted for something other than california?
    how do they feel about mammoth?

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Oh, sorry, I never saw that rule.

Why don't you go ahead and organize another mammoth mini earlier in the year, since theres interest, everyone will vote on where they want the summit to be, and some people will go there, and if theres interest anywhere else, people will organize some other minis (or megas or quasis or whatever) for whatever part of the season they want.

I'm not sure why its so frustrating, my apologies if this is difficult for you.
    Minis are only a long weekend, whereas summits are a full week of debauchery. Mammoth surprisingly works for a mini, but it's not really a prime mini candidate due to its accessibility. It's really ideal for a week-long summit because it takes a while to get there, and the long trip is more worth it when you get more than a weekend's worth of skiing in. I guess I don't understand why you think it shouldn't be a summit candidate.

I like Mammoth and Montana. I also would like to throw out the idea of a Jackson sequel (think Empire Strikes Back rather than say, Father of the Bride 2): a) it's the home of TGR, b) it's Jackson Hole, c) 2005 was awesome, but I think it could be even more off-the-hook given another try