10 3.94%
  • Montana

76 29.92%
  • Northeast

8 3.15%
  • Other (explain below)

10 3.94%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    JB, just call up Bridger (phone # in link) and BS (phone # in link) and ask for group sales. They'll give group lodging info too. Even if it is Bozeman. And Bridger has a ton of super cheap ski/lodging packages, I think they have more than what is on their site right now.

Random thoughts:
    --Ask about the on-slope houses at Bridger, not that everyone can fit in one....but there are some sweet retro A-Frames hidden out there that sleep 10+.
    --There happens to be a strip bar on the highway between Bozeman and Bridger.
    --They call it Boozeman for a reason, start training now.
    --Remember there's a decent hostel in BZN.
    --If someone is going to rent a car, which would be nice to get to BS, look at flights into Billings. It's about 1.5 hrs from Bozeman and flights are cheaper.
    --Conditions and snowfalls from storms in BS and Bridger are often completely different.

Yeah, random.

Quote Originally Posted by slippy
    JB, just call up Bridger (phone # in link) and BS (phone # in link) and ask for group sales.
    Wilco. I'll be in town on-location starting late this week. Figure I'll go pester Doug Wales in person maybe?

Bring it, bitches!!!

--If someone is going to rent a car, which would be nice to get to BS, look at flights into Billings. It's about 1.5 hrs from Bozeman and flights are cheaper.
    Couldn't the same be said of Helena or Butte? Missoula possibly as well, but that's like 3 hours or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Couldn't the same be said of Helena or Butte? Missoula possibly as well, but that's like 3 hours or so...
    Helena, Butt and Missoula are about 1.5 hours away too.

The titty bar is good.

Edit 4 - FWIW, the original Shot Gun Willys is just outside of Billings........
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Pow, I was talking about airfare, but whatever.

Looks like we'll have a new lift to play on too! Sheddy gets some company...

Big Sky to install new lift

By WALT WILLIAMS, Chronicle Staff Writer

Big Sky Resort is building a new triple-chair lift that should be ready for the upcoming ski season, a resort spokesman said Friday.

The new Dakota lift will be 3,100 feet long and have a vertical rise of 1,210 feet once finished. Ride time should be eight minutes.

Big Sky spokesman Dax Schieffer said the new lift will significantly improve access to popular ski areas on Lone Mountain.

Big Sky is one of two major resorts with ski runs on Lone Mountain. Together the two resorts, Big Sky and Moonlight Basin, provide access to more than 5,500 acres of terrain.

The new lift is under construction on the south face of Lone Mountain, below Liberty Bowl, according to a written news release from the resort. It will be a fixed-grip lift, and will load below Hippy Highway. The top station will be near Gate 2 of the Bavarian Forest ski area.

The lift will improve access to the Bavarian Forest area and the recently opened 212 acres known as the Dakota Territories, which is primarily open bowl skiing at an intermediate angle.

The addition of the Dakota Lift will bring Big Sky's total lifts to 21, providing access to more than 3,800 acres of skiable terrain.

The new lift is the first half of a proposed two-lift system providing a second access point to terrain on Lone Peak currently serviced by the Lone Peak Tram. The second lift, planned for construction next year, will take skiers up to the Yeti Traverse, accessing Big Sky's above tree-line runs such as the Marx, Lenin and the Dictator Chutes.
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 08-19-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Jumper, I don't think Doug deals with reservations at all. And I don't think Helena or Butte is cheaper, as they are small towns too, but who knows. Billings is used heavily by Bozeman peeps.

And that new lift is going to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Missoula is about 1.5 hours away too.
    Maybe in a Ferrari in August.

Alright, Big Sky starting on Saturday Feb 23rd. JB let me know if any help is needed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    JB, just call up Bridger (phone # in link) and BS (phone # in link) and ask for group sales. They'll give group lodging info too. Even if it is Bozeman. And Bridger has a ton of super cheap ski/lodging packages, I think they have more than what is on their site right now.

Random thoughts:
    --Ask about the on-slope houses at Bridger, not that everyone can fit in one....but there are some sweet retro A-Frames hidden out there that sleep 10+.
    --There happens to be a strip bar on the highway between Bozeman and Bridger.
    --Remember there's a decent hostel in BZN.
    --Conditions and snowfalls from storms in BS and Bridger are often completely different.

Yeah, random.
    When and if this shindig goes down, I'm staying with you.

Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    When and if this shindig goes down, I'm staying with you.

Bitch.

If Blurred is going I am NOT going.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    If Blurred is going I am NOT going.
    You'd better burn some skis this Fall so I have a reason to hang out with you and Conun longer this Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Maybe in a Ferrari in August.
    If you bring it in Feb. I'm riding with you More like 2 hours? I remember Missoula being about an hour west of Helena. Eitherway, I'd guess flying direct on Untied in to Bozeman or Billings from Denver is going to be the cheapest. Coming from the west, I think Delta has direct flights from SLC to Helena.

Nice stoke pix slippy.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

So rather than reading all 9 pages, who's in charge? I have a few connections in the area for stuff to do after skiing. I'm thinking I'm in as long as I can convince my wife that I need to ski MT twice in the same month. Might work, she and the kids are coming along on the other trip.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Maybe you should read the last page or two.

I am.

I'd like to set the dates from February 21st to March 2nd - that's a thursday to a sunday. I want to give the potential competitors some time to ski Bridger and choose their lines/get familiar before the comp on the 23rd. Plus it gives the working crowd weekends for travel days on either side; so it only costs 5 days of vacation time or so.

Maybe you should read the last page or two.

I am.

I'd like to set the dates from February 21st to March 2nd - that's a thursday to a sunday. I want to give the potential competitors some time to ski Bridger and choose their lines/get familiar before the comp on the 23rd. Plus it gives the working crowd weekends for travel days on either side; so it only costs 5 days of vacation time or so.
    See, that's what I get from starting at page one, usually things get all cunted up by about page 5 or 6 but this tread just got going at that point.

So JB, if there is anything I can do remotely to help you out I'd be happy to do so. I have quite a number of friends in the area who are non-mags but could help out as well.

Thanks for taking on this important role, you'll be well abused for your effort.

Jay

No problem. I hope I don't suck.

Biggest thing is PRAY FOR SNOW! Feb should be fine, but you never know...

It's possible I'll be MIA over the next several days, maybe week or two; that's because I'm moving, so I may be in a 'black hole' so to speak. If anybody's got some solid ideas, leave 'em here, or on my myspace...a couple mags know it.

Anyway, peace out!!!

Jumper, if you get the high hat from Big Sky Group sales, drop me a PM. I can have some Moonlight Sales types get in touch with ya.

Congrats on the move.

Yeah Big Sky tends to get absurdly crowded (by BS standards) on 3-day weekends, because everybody in No and So Dak and MN load up in the cars/buses to come ski there...or so it seems. Douches up the tramline something fierce since they go up for sightseeing...

I think going from the 23rd to the 2nd or whatever would be great. Question for the working mags though - from a vacation days/time off standpoint, is it better to schedule something with weekends as the start-stop days - since they might not count as vacation days used? Eg, sat-week-sunday, only burn 5 vacation days.

I ask because it might be nice to start things up a bit earlier than the comp, maybe like thursday or friday, to give those competing a chance to ski/recon Bridger and dial in their lines...
    It all depends on how long the summit is going to be. If you are going to make it a week/8 days long, the a Saturday to sat/Sunday would be best for working people. If you are going to organize it for 5 days or so then I would start on the Thursday or Friday before the comp., and end it Tuesday or Wednesday. Scheduling it with the comp. is a great idea.

I would suggest starting on Thursday, but keep it as a low key day. I suspect most people would show up on Friday, so big parties Friday night and Saturday night. Another big day of skiing Monday, then a low key day Tuesday. That give people the chance to ski/party 6 days, but makes it easy for people to hit the biggest 4 days with out having to take too much time off.

What I mean by low key day, just ski at the neast hill to the airport, maybe arrange ticket discounts, maybe a casual gathering at a local restaurant/bar.

Just some ideas, take them for what they are worth, which ain't much. I hope to make it, but for me planning anything that far in advance just never works.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Oh hell yes, finally, a summit I might be able to get to!
    There's a comp and BB? when? I'd love to watch
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Feb Summit in my town ...... very nice
    Jumper if you need any help let me know I am back in town, don't know what i can do on discounts but, as L J said i can at least offer some floor space

I'm here now too. PM me, I'll shoot you my number and we can rally for beers.

Yeah Big Sky tends to get absurdly crowded (by BS standards) on 3-day weekends, because everybody in No and So Dak and MN load up in the cars/buses to come ski there...or so it seems. Douches up the tramline something fierce since they go up for sightseeing...

I think going from the 23rd to the 2nd or whatever would be great. Question for the working mags though - from a vacation days/time off standpoint, is it better to schedule something with weekends as the start-stop days - since they might not count as vacation days used? Eg, sat-week-sunday, only burn 5 vacation days.

I ask because it might be nice to start things up a bit earlier than the comp, maybe like thursday or friday, to give those competing a chance to ski/recon Bridger and dial in their lines...
    Depending on flight prices this could very well be doable.

For me personally I like the idea of a Thursday - Wednesday type time frame. Makes two work weeks shorter and getting everyone together could be less of a hassle when its not so busy like a weekend would be. Plus flights may be cheaper mid-week rather than a weekend.

As far as vacation days for working maggots. I usually have plenty of vacation days so that wouldn't be a concern for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Depending on flight prices this could very well be doable.

For me personally I like the idea of a Thursday - Wednesday type time frame. Makes two work weeks shorter and getting everyone together could be less of a hassle when its not so busy like a weekend would be. Plus flights may be cheaper mid-week rather than a weekend.

As far as vacation days for working maggots. I usually have plenty of vacation days so that wouldn't be a concern for me.

Grange,

I spent the weekend with some friends from Bozeman and I'm really leaning on going as well. Where in WI are you, I'm fresh out of FF Miles so I've been thinking about driving. Should only be about 14 ish hours from the Cities, if you can't work the flight you could come this far, crash here and we could take off the next day. That goes for any midwest mags, my wife is ok with this being a rally point.

Jay

I just moved to Green Bay from the Eau Claire area, so taking STH 29 and I-94 into the Twin Cities would be pretty easy.