Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to Surf in November...

Lets play where should Comish and Mrs. Comish travel for Thanksgiving.

Seriously thinking of taking a surf trip although its not definite yet. Would go for about 10 days. Looking for something that isn't fully 3rd world this time, but not super schwanky either. Thinking chill, palapa hut on beach with friendly local town vibe, not overly commercial with ginormous resorts.

Looking for consistent, fun surf that an intermediate would enjoy. Mrs. Comish is not looking for No. Shore Hawaii and is comfortable in some size as long as its not super heavy/steep/barreling. Both goofies that predominantly surf longboards... A mellow left point with no people would be perfect. Ok, I will keep dreaming, but trying to paint the picture here...

Ideas???

We are currently leaning toward a Brazilian traveling trip with some beach time, but lately have been thinking a trip oriented more around the surfing would be better.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Australia
    Indonesia - try Lombok (can fly direct from Singapore)

I believe you've been to:
    Peru
    Chile
    Elvis has left the building

Does Indo get surf in Nov? I'm probably wrong, but kinda thought they were a So swell place. The other concern on Indo are the shallow reefs. Are there breaks that a bit more user friendly? I don't think Mrs. Comish + 1 foot of water over sharp reef would get along too well...

Comeon - the mrses doesn't want to watch the fishes as she surfes? Shallow reefs go hand in hand with steep barreling waves, and most of the breaks on Lombok are pretty tame with the exception of Desert Point and Mawi. They are pretty much dry season waves anyways, but you might get lucky. Indo does get swell in November according to the locals, just not big swell, and not the consistancy of the dry season. You probably wouldn't want to surf a big dry season swell. I sure as shit didn't.

No its not prime season for swell and not a prime island for swell, but still better than CA, fun and relatively uncrowded. Accommodation wise it definitely isn't fully 3rd world, you can get most of the comforts you want (except high speed).

I dunno, with 10 days you've still got the potential to be skunked most anywhere if you are going for a surf vacation, especially at that turn of season time. Maybe Africa? It's a haul from LA though. Europe's going to be crowded. Central America will have crowds. Maybe S. America? Decent flight times to Lima & Santiago if you fly LAN. Japan might have surf, mostly not so gnar, and decent flights, but cold. Otherwise Australia or New Zealand?
    Last edited by cj001f; 06-21-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    I dunno, with 10 days you've still got the potential to be skunked most anywhere if you are going for a surf vacation, especially at that turn of season time. Maybe Africa? It's a haul from LA though. Europe's going to be crowded. Central America will have crowds. Maybe S. America? Decent flight times to Lima & Santiago if you fly LAN. Japan might have surf, mostly not so gnar, and decent flights, but cold. Otherwise Australia or New Zealand?
    Yep, I'm aware of the shallow reefs = steep barrels, hence the question.

You his the nail on the head above though. Hence why we are having a difficult decision. Sorta shoulder season everywhere. A lot of cold water places which doesn't really get me excited. Who knows, might just end up checking out Brazil and drinking Caipirinas on the beach and checking on the brazilian asses. Definitely worst things in life...

My buddy just got back from Costa Rica. Said it was an amazing trup with the only bummer being was that it was all lefts...

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    My buddy just got back from Costa Rica. Said it was an amazing trup with the only bummer being was that it was all lefts...
    Your buddy didn't travel very much then. A shit ton of waves go both ways, and then there are both lefts and rights. Costa Rica is definitely nice, but Mrs. Comish and I have been there, done that. (lived there for 6 months) Looking for something new...

Figured I would elaborate here a little: Witches, Ollies, Playa Hermosa, Dominical, Mal Pais, Playa Grande, the points just so. of Corcovado and opposite Pavones, etc etc etc are all either beach breaks that go both ways or rights. The only true straight up lefts are Pavones and Boca Barranca, and this reef by Cabo Blanco. Ok, I'm sure there are more and I'm obviously just skimming the surface here of the many many breaks, but CR is definitely not just a Left.
    Last edited by comish; 06-22-2007 at 10:40 AM.

The caribbean has swell in November, and is a step up from 3rd world ( or ultra expensive exclusive). I'm sure there are waves that go both ways, they call 'em bi waves I believe
    Guadaloupe ,Jamaica, Domincan Republic and many more...

of course there's spring skiing in the southern hemi in November and N swells come December...just another option....

You could fly into Acapulco and roadtrip up to PV sampling Nexpa, Ticla, Troncones, Saladita (awesome longboard left), and Punta Mita.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    You his the nail on the head above though. Hence why we are having a difficult decision. Sorta shoulder season everywhere. A lot of cold water places which doesn't really get me excited. Who knows, might just end up checking out Brazil and drinking Caipirinas on the beach and checking on the brazilian asses. Definitely worst things in life...
    True. I forgot you'd been to that bit of Chile.

Morocco? Canary Islands? Tahiti/Fiji/S. Pacific Islands(not the best for the mrs likely, but easy to get to from LA)?

Thumbs up

In November things just start cranking in this island west of Hawaii and east of Indo, the only problem is that all the spots: a) are predominantly right, b) break in 3 feet of coral, and c) eats longboards for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    In November things just start cranking in this island west of Hawaii and east of Indo, the only problem is that all the spots: a) are predominantly right, b) break in 3 feet of coral, and c) eats longboards for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I figured you would have a suggestion along these lines. Looks pretty schweet.

Carolina Islands.
    If I had a nickel for every wave I caught, I would have a shit load of nickels.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    .. Looking for something that isn't fully 3rd world this time, but not super schwanky either. ..
    Looking for consistent, fun surf that an intermediate would enjoy. ..
    Just something very different from what was mentionned:

The French basque country at that time of the year has a very mellow vibe (entirely different from say the summers), the waves are at their best and the water temp is still decent (think 3/2).

Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT View Post
    The French basque country at that time of the year has a very mellow vibe (entirely different from say the summers), the waves are at their best and the water temp is still decent (think 3/2).
    i've been in october and november and i think november is too late. it is mellow because it's cold. not just cold water but the sun is getting low and weak and it can be overcast and grey. so not only is time in the water cold, but on the beach or hanging out it's cold. and many restaurants and bars are closed for the season, so not much to choose from on where to hang. the waves however, can be quite good. i've pretty much given up on cold water surfing since then. i find the downtime in the cold too un-relaxing, i need my vacation time to be well spent nowadays. i'm just not as core as i used to be.

november is dicey coz it's transition time, you can get skunked anywhere. i'm thinking something like brazil, mexico, maldives, or indo coz you have beautiful warm tropical climate to occupy yourself in the downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    You could fly into Acapulco and roadtrip up to PV sampling Nexpa, Ticla, Troncones, Saladita (awesome longboard left), and Punta Mita.
    Saladita is a perfect option, but it is more of a south swell joint.

Try Nicaragua - cheap, uncrowded, offshore and picks up plenty of North swell. And it is warm water - if that is a factor for you!

Or just put on a wetsuit and head up to the Santa Cruz/NorCal area. Yeah SC is srowded, but way nicer than SoCal - and we always have waves around Thanksgiving - only problem is we are all rights (except 2 spots) come north swell time.

Another cool water choice is New England. You can get skunked there, but that is the peak of their season. Maine (no crowds except for Oguinquit) and New Hampshire (some crowds) are just a series of fun pointbreaks spectled with reefs and beach. And there is plenty to do if you don't surf.

california gold coast >> santa cruz

[QUOTE=Ottime;1324467]Saladita is a perfect option, but it is more of a south swell joint.

Try Nicaragua - cheap, uncrowded, offshore and picks up plenty of North swell. And it is warm water - if that is a factor for you!

Nicaragua in November 05 was good for a few days,ok for a few days and then pretty small.Mixed bag,but super cheap,super nice folks and if you are up for exploring you can have miles of beaches and breaks to yourself.Just don't follow the herd.

[QUOTE=TBski;1342170]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Saladita is a perfect option, but it is more of a south swell joint.

Nicaragua in November 05 was good for a few days,ok for a few days and then pretty small.Mixed bag,but super cheap,super nice folks and if you are up for exploring you can have miles of beaches and breaks to yourself.Just don't follow the herd.
    Been there and done that. Mrs. Comish and I bussed through Nicaragua for a few weeks back in '96 when we went from Panama to Belize and then I returned 2 years ago to surf for a week.

Nico is definitely cheap. I was there with a buddy who knew the place pretty well having lived there for a few years and had surfed all over and was in the process of buying some land there. I wasn't all that blown away by the breaks. Warm water, yep. Cheap, yep. offshore, yep. Fun, yep. Good rum, yep (flor de cana). Enjoyed it, but wasn't in love. Not sure i need to return.
    Looking for something a little less 3rd world for this trip, but good idea.

Come to South Florida:

nice video link there, sergey
    fine

All you have to do is click the picture twice, Jakob Nielsen.

Here, try this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-4PiOqHVQ

Late October, November warm water surfcation

My husband and I worked hard all summer teaching others to surf and freezing all summer in abnormally cold water for SoCal. We have never taken a honeymoon and We want to relax, surf rights and lefts, and be able to trunk-it. This is probably the only vacation we can afford for for the year and my husband gets nervous about third-world country safety when it comes to me. We are thinking south coast Costa Rica, but are we going to get rained out? Any suggestions??

Pretty sure my accountant hits Porto Rico every November and the guy just raves about the country and the surf. I am thinking warm water, tropical, but good surf from the North Atlantic swells.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I come down to Puerto Rico for a few months in the fall and few in the spring before the snow hits and when its corn. Good place to look into. Also maybe check out northern Peru. Can trunk it sometimes or just a shorty