Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Arrow 2nd Annual Radar Speed-Trap Day ! !

By request, I'll be bringing the gun out to the Boid next Saturday for those who want to get their speed checked.
    Let me know if you're interested.

This could actually break the weather pattern. If ya'll remember last year, every time we scheduled it last spring it snowed.

altachic here-

w00t w00t!!...i'm in on this one! let me know what time you want to meet. I'm pretty sure you have my cell. Thanks for offering the speed gun dude
    vapor lock - bitch.

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Phunk is DanTheMan, and AltaChic? Wow, Phunk is definitely Iceman.

What run are you thinking of using for the speed trials? Early morning 'roy on Regulator Johnson might be a good choice: long, steep, consistent pitch, and buttah smooth in the morning.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

A-N-D-E-R-S-O-N's..

I plan on running what I think the downhill course on friday was then use the stats from the fis (slope length) to calculate my average speed
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

just wondering...what kind of speeds did you guys end up logging?

Originally posted by dipstik
    just wondering...what kind of speeds did you guys end up logging?
    It was socked in and snowing there today (again ) so I'm guessing it didn't go down. However, altachic skied witha friends GPS the other day and topped out at 81 mph

Originally posted by Dantheman
    81 mph
    hot damn! was she on DH boards?
    Last edited by dipstik; 03-27-2004 at 09:48 PM.

I've seen some pretty ridiculous speeds clocked on gps.

I mean 81 is pretty tough to do for the average (or even above average) skier to pull off.

i had some kid on the chair trying to tell me he hit in the low 90's on a snowboard riding lazy m at red lodge. I cant believe for a second this kid could have survived something like that.

But i also dont know much about gps. How do they measure speed, i know change in position / time is most of it, but how do the gps units actually calculate this and how accurate are they?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

yeah, i was hauling ass...but it really didn't feel like i was going over 80 mph, pretty cool. Now i want to go faster.

Talked to endless-this will go down this coming saturday.

Edit: I was on g4's
    Last edited by altachic; 03-27-2004 at 10:10 PM.
    you sketchy character, you

Originally posted by altachic
    Edit: I was on g4's
    80 on g4's? Hmm, I think it's doable. That ski is ridiculously stable at speed. Me thinky I would like a longer length than altachic's though.

radar gun? the bird? sounds interesting/a way to hurt myself. Are you going to set up a time and a place? i'll try to make it, but holy shit 80 plus on skis? at what speed does your shit explode?

Originally posted by powderhound
    i'll try to make it, but holy shit 80 plus on skis? at what speed does your shit explode?
    88 MPH and 1.21 jigawatts. Be careful, G4's can't handle that.

if she broke 80 on skiis that weren't race stock i'm not sure how comfortable i would be going that fast with a big tip in the front...i've gotten clocked at 77 at the sugarloaf downhill last year, but i was on 212cm fischer downhill skiis, with the low aerodynamic tip and was also wearing a speed suit which makes a huge difference...at that speed the tips and aerodynamics make a huge diffence, you can bail just by lifting up your ski a slight bit and the air pushes them right up...becareful

You just admitted that you got your ass paddled by some girlie on midfats. Sucks to be you.

Originally posted by powderhound
    at what speed does your shit explode?
    Depends on what you eat for breakfast. Avoid oatmeal.

Just like last spring, scheduling the Speed-Trap day (even in the midst of record high temps with no end in sight) resulted in too much snow to run it. Since Altachic's the only one I had heard from, we talked Friday night and decided to reschedule to next Saturday (anyone who's been hoping for snow next weekend might want to take this into consideration ).

Yesterday was interesting. Despite dumping all day and delivering more than 20 inches in this latest storm, it wasn't enough to restore the pleasurable, consistent base we spoiled Utards are so accustomed to. It wouldn't have been possible to safely reach even 70 MPH anywhere on the mountain.

Most of the usually reliable facings were nothing more than death slides as the new snow could not find purchase on the refried ice base. I have never seen Silver Fox, Great Scott, STH, Baldy, lower TT, Gad Chutes, Wilbere Chutes, and Mineral Basin, ALL in such horrible shape at the same time. It's either going to take a lot more new, wet snow or a heck of a lot of dynamite to get an acceptable new base formed.

There were little stashes of a dozen or two powder turns here and there, but the watchword of the day was CAUTION off-piste.

Better luck next week...

Wink

Originally posted by Ski Monkey
    80 on g4's? Hmm, I think it's doable. That ski is ridiculously stable at speed. Me thinky I would like a longer length than altachic's though.
    That's funny, she was just saying how she would like a longer length than Ski Monkey's...

Originally posted by bad_roo
    You just admitted that you got your ass paddled by some girlie on midfats. Sucks to be you.
    hey i don't want to make excuses if she beat me then she beat me, but it's alittle different if she's bombing down a huge face and i'm getting clocked going through a turn...

I don't think GPS is a reliable measure of speed... does it definately take into account the drop in altitude etc... I'll believe it when I hear the results of the radar gun.

Excuse me for being gnarly today. I'm pissed cause I can't ski til some torn muscles heal a lil more......... BUT..........you proceeded to say you didn't want to make excuses, then came up with one that was the equivalent of saying 80 mph in NJ would be the equivalent of 60 mph in Utah.
    Or were you trying to say you were clocked while killing speed in a turn as opposed to altachic straightlining a bowl?

don't let that mean roodude make fun of you.

edit: I don't know enough about gps to address the issues, but if altachic knows of a steep road on a pass with snow on it, I'll clock her in my car.

Showtime - just kidding. I think balls out straightline speed might just be the only possible way I'd get one over on altachic.

I was a Sun Peaks during their speed comp. With speed suits, helmets and long, long skis they were clocking 160 km/h (100 MPH) after ~700' of vertical. The runs only lasted 5s. Skiers who fell still slid through the trap at +100 km/h (62 MPH).

As far as a GPS goes I would assume it calculates a simple distance travelled over time and the direction of travel doesn't matter.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

We routinely average around 79mph down the 923m length of Signal in Alpe d'Huez. It's not too difficult to clock up circa 90mph peak speeds if you're determined.