Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Originally posted by dipstik
    he claimed he did it in 31 seconds though, so that would be 65mph.
    READ!
    Originally posted by bad_roo
    900m track, standing start, 26 seconds to finish. You do the math.

Did it in 31 seconds on a pair of friggin' Motherships without even tucking this January...
    one of my friends claimed that you need some sort of license/permit to train DH. Is this true? Showtime06? Alkasqauwlik? [/B]
    Yes. You need a License To Thrill.
    vapor lock - bitch.

Arrow Meeting time and place------------>

Anyone planning on attending will either need FRS set to the regular maggot channel or my cell phone number as we may be changing locations throughout the morning.
    PM me if you need this info.

Re: Meeting time and place------------>

Originally posted by Endlessseason
    Anyone planning on attending will either need FRS set to the regular maggot channel or my cell phone number as we may be changing locations throughout the morning.
    PM me if you need this info.
    Your PM box is full, Endless. Could you PM me your cellie?
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

edit: on an unrelated note, but since were on the subject of DH, one of my friends claimed that you need some sort of license/permit to train DH. Is this true? Showtime06? Alkasqauwlik? [/B][/QUOTE]

you don't need a permit/license to train downhill, however when you're a J3 you need to go to super-G camp, being from jersey, we can only run sl and GS so when i went and did my first DH i had only done super g prior to that so you don't need any certifications

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Originally posted by altachic
    I'll be happy if i reach 70mph...I'd be stoked. That's all i'm going to say for now.
    Ever hit 70 mph on skis before?

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Originally posted by Dexter Rutecki

As for the speed you think you achieved, I'd go back and check the math...
    Go ahead dumbass. Keep checking the figures. He skis twice as fast as YOU SWITCH, DOUCHEBAG!!!

No, you read!

Since were not talking about doing it on GS sticks, I took the second speed, which was achieved on non-racing sticks.
    IMO, g4's are a lot closer to gs skis than motherships. Her bases are in pretty damn good condition too.

Let also not forget that was an AVERAGE speed, Roo started at zero, so there was a faster speed somewhere in there.

and you are exempt from rule number 1 because....?
    I'm not. I got slightly but measurably dumber from posting that.

I really wish I was in Utah now so I could participate. Last year we got pow days every time the gun came out. For which I can't really complain, but it would have been cool to get a real reading.

Originally posted by Dantheman
    Not much wrong with Roo's math:

(0.9 kilometers)(0.6214 miles/kilometer) = 0.56 miles
    (26 seconds)(1 hour/3600 seconds) = 0.0072 hours
    0.56 miles/.0072 hours = 77.6 miles/hour

It's not quite 79mph, but pretty damn close.
    And when you include the conversion factor to European mph...

Originally posted by flykdog
    Let also not forget that was an AVERAGE speed, Roo started at zero, so there was a faster speed somewhere in there.
    I was hoping someone would point that out.
    Unfortunately, without a radar gun, we can only quote the average speed & guesstimate as to what the peak was. Either way, it's quick.
    01001001001001110110010000100000011100100110000101 11010001101000011001010111001000100000011000100110 01010010000001110011011010110110100101101001011011 100110011100101110

Blurred Elevens Guest
    I can personally guarantee to all you naysayers that I can ski over 80 MPH on my fat Kneissl T@nkers. Come to Colorado with a radar gun and place your bets. Put your money where your mouth is.

Do any Colorado maggots have access to a radar gun?

Straight from the mouth of TGR's marketing department: "See Black, Nobis, and Jones ripping classic Alaskan lines at over 70 mph".

That's on fat skis on ungroomed terrain. So, I would say that 80 on groomed is certainly possible. Then again, we're talking Black, Nobis, and Jones.

Interesting that they're suggesting that Jones is boarding as fast as Black and Nobis. I'm thinking that maybe there becomes a steepness where skis aren't faster than a board, particularly in loose snow.

Talking

Originally posted by shmerham
    "See Black, Nobis, and Jones ripping classic Alaskan lines at over 70 mph".
    The groomer stuff doesn't play so well with the kids.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    GPS requires altitude to determine position, along with multiple sat fixes. Therefore a GPS would be off when changing altitude at a rapid pace.

Whoever the dude was who said he had 3 chartplotters with GPSs, he had to set the height above sea level when he first set them up, which I'm sure he forgot (unless they were dGPS's... then they set themselves)

Not that I give a shit about anyone doing 80mph on skis, I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing that or more while being chased by an avalanche a few years ago, but I was more interested in staying above the snow than how goddamn fast I was going.

Yeah, but, uhhh, we are interested in how fast we're going. Not being chased by avalanches and all.

Yeah, but, uhhh, we are interested in how fast we're going. Not being chased by avalanches and all.
    Pussy.

Talking

Want to see who's king of the straightlines in January?

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    I'll bring the charges.

Can iceman still be king of punchlines?
    [quote][//quote]

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Originally posted by likwid
    GPS requires altitude to determine position, along with multiple sat fixes. Therefore a GPS would be off when changing altitude at a rapid pace.

Whoever the dude was who said he had 3 chartplotters with GPSs, he had to set the height above sea level when he first set them up, which I'm sure he forgot (unless they were dGPS's... then they set themselves)
    That was I...they are all driven by dGPS units. Setting them up? I'm lucky to remember where "power on" switch is.

Actually, they are were all pre-programmed by a tech. I simply have to enter waypoints....challenging enough for me.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Stay tuned for some practice run readings...

So when, where, and how we going to avoid the Patrol?

Really, where is everybody meeting up. I'll try to drag myself out of my kitchen remodel, put skis on for the first time in 3 weeks and do this.

Of course, I can't go plaid like the rest of these guys. Endless, what is the slowest your gun registers?

If I can do it, I'll be in normal ski clothes, as GS suits don't keep people very warm on Utah Powder days. And most likely, on Explosives and Freerides.

Who's on this list?
    French Fries!

LCC----->we're meeting for first tram if it's not snowing on Saturday.

I know that Bum Z and I will be there. I've heard powho and phUnk will be there as well.
    you sketchy character, you

If the weather cooperates, I'll ditch the kids and come play with the big boys and girls. If the weather spells P-O-W-D-E-R, then I'm looking for face shots at The Canyons.

A win-win either way you look at it.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein