Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    1260...not bad. Of course they rescaled the tests since I took them, but still not bad. I don't think I called you stupid. Ignorant, arrogant, humorless...yeah, maybe.

So what happened at the end of "The Road to Perdition"?

Just a note from the cheap seats.

I do have a GPS, I ski with it frequently. It once showed me skiing 428 MPH. As others have pointed out I'm not sure if it picks up the altitude difference. Plus the fact that you are in a mountain environment, you lose signal. I'd suppose that when you lose a signal you pop up in a different place.

I'd imagine you had the GPS in a pocket, doing 80 while holding it out front upright could be quite dangerous. My GPS loses satellite lock quite frequently in my pocket.

Whether it factors in time differences between popping back up somewhere? I don't know. But, what I do know is that mine shows screwed up MPH's quite frequently. Yeah, driving down a road on a flat surface it's spot on. But the mountains seem to be a bit different.

That aside, I figure Altachic could probably do it.

BobMc

Originally posted by iceman
    I saw it a while ago, and all I remember is that Tom Hanks' character gets shot, but not before shooting some other guy that had glass in his face.

Then the little kid then sit's with Tom Hanks as he dies.

I had a Plymouth Satellite, it was faster than the speed of light.

(B52'SFNR)

Originally posted by dipstik
    I saw it a while ago, and all I remember is that Tom Hanks' character gets shot, but not before shooting some other guy that had glass in his face.

Then the little kid then sit's with Tom Hanks as he dies.
    Yeah, I figured Hanks had to die and the kid had to see it, thanks.

I wonder who the guy with glass in his face was? I didn't see that part either. Maybe Rooney's son? He was the one who ordered the hit on Hank's family, it would seem to figure.

Oh well, it's be nice to dipstik week again, I'll see if I can do it.

Originally posted by phUnk
    ... and postulating.
    Speaking of postulating; I'm really torn between my 218 Kastle downhills and my 178 AX4's. Given the choice, which would you choose for Saturday's showdown?

A long time ago, I entered one of Steve McKinney's Camel Sprint Speed Skiing events. In practice many of us were clocked in the mid to upper seventies. Race day came along with flat light and new snow that was pretty slow. My top speed on race day was a tick over 67.

I don't have the foggiest idea how accurate the speed function is, but my CicloSport returned a max speed of 62 mph one day when I was out cruising.

Is 80+ possible? I'm sure there will be plenty of fun to be had finding the answer to the question. Until then, I'm all for letting the skis do the talking.

Road to Perdition:
    After watching Tom Hanks die, the kid goes to live with the older couple that took them in while Hanks was recovering from his wounds.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 03-28-2004 at 11:31 PM.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by iceman
    1260...not bad. Of course they rescaled the tests since I took them, but still not bad. I don't think I called you stupid. Ignorant, arrogant, humorless...yeah, maybe.

It had a happy ending--the guy and the girl get married.

1260 equates roughly to 1160 on the old scale. Probably doesn't hurt an ordinary guy applying to BU, but if your last name is Bush it gets you into Yale.
    [quote][//quote]

Speed skiing is for pussies. I'm wondering if 2 feet of snow is enough to make Pyramid Gap doable...

I guess it depends if you're gonna Kush it or not.
    [quote][//quote]

Holy ! 1800 views on this thread??!! You mean to tell me there's more interest in how fast maggot amateurs can ski than there is in the Summit photos I've been working on for days? My photo thread didn't come close to this one.

Here's the deal on the radar gun. It's a Bushnell model I paid more than $300 for last year--incredibly accurate for the price. The thing is accurate to +/- 1 MPH even at 200 MPH.

I've skied with guys whose GPS readings have been quite a bit off (perhaps due to some of the points brought up in this thread), so it will be fun to get some definitive speed-reads this Saturday.

This thing is dead-on accurate. Although I already believed both the specs and the tech department when I was learning about the gun last year, ColdSmoke and I did dozens of field and road tests last season to see how good it was. I even used two guns together one day just to see how they compared to each other.

A couple of people made the point earlier in the thread that even an amateur should theoretically be able to ski a straight line faster than a pro making turns. I'm proof of this.

I've never had race training. I started skiing as an adult. Years ago, I entered an amateur speed skiing competition that was open to the public. A few of us actually reached 90MPH while practicing for it. I was skiing on 213cm Fischer RC4 Vacuums. I weighed 200 pounds at the time and was wearing a poor man's DH suit consisting of leotards I bought at a second-hand store and a motorcycle helmet. I didn't know enough at the time to be embarassed about how I must have looked. I just knew I wanted to ski fast and that I loved it. (Wouldn't it have been cool to look like a total gaper and win it?)

Unfortunately, the speed skiing event was removed from the games before it ever had a chance to debut, but it made me fall even more in love with speed.

If the conditions and viz are safe enough to do this Saturday, we'll likely see some people break 80. It's probably good I'll be holding the gun. Otherwise, I think I'd be really tempted to ski faster than I should eight months post-surgery.

Oh--and yes, I would welcome any monetary assistance to help offset the cost just a little bit. We talked about doing that last year, and I really appreciated the help from Lumpy and GT.
    Any other one-time donations to the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Originally posted by phUnk
    Speed skiing is for pussies. I'm wondering if 2 feet of snow is enough to make Pyramid Gap doable...
    The "soul of skiing' is in wearing skin tight ass huggers and wearing 220 straights.....JONG!

Originally posted by dipstik
    I got a 1260 on my SAT's...I'm also not the dumbass you think I am.
    1) If you have to defend your smartness, you're not smart.

2) Smart and knowledgeable are two different things.

3) I beat you by over 200 points -- and they've pumped up the scores twice since then.

4) You still haven't taken my bet.

5) "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." -Kenny Rogers

First one to radar at 80 on Spatulas?

Blurred Elevens Guest
    If you guys can raise the funds, I'll be out to Utah to prove y'all wrong.

$1000- 90MPH.

$1500- 100MPH.

Bring it.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Any distinct categories this year? DH boards, mid-fats, fatties, sheep suits, large-goateed men in second hand leotards and minibike helmets, fastest with 12 Busch Lights in the system (Bob)?

Garts got 29-buck Power Mambas...dig out the Spademans and rear-entry Hansens for the scariest setup over 50mph...

My personal setup is comprised of custom de-cambered Pr's sporting numerous 2cm+ ptex keels strategically hanging along whats left of the bases. Looking to hit 35 with a methane fueled burst of green gas. Chili- cheese, broccoli casserol for pre-event dinner the night before...washed down with a Mickey's 40.

I'm bringin' it.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

I once clocked 150 km/h (93 mph) on my XXXs. On dry concrete!

This was right after the magnetic roof rack flew off the car. A pair of Arno Adams also achieved the same speed.

I saw clear evidence (in the rear view mirror) of the fact that the humongous tips made the skis very unstable at that speed.

(This was Swiss speeds, measured on the speedometer of a Citroen Xsara by a Norwegian en route to the French part of the Geneva airport).

Originally posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Check out the speeds that DH racers get when they're going straight, and then consider that they've got everything going for them speed-wise: wax, skis, snow, speed-suit...I'm pretty sure I've never hit 80+ even on big race skis.
    So where do speed skiers who also have the wax, the skis, the snow and the speed suit get an extra 75mph from? I know. It's all down to the polystyrene calf spoilers and the helmets.

Could it be because they're not making any turns? Just could it?

The reason why I've got so little time for the doubters is that I've clocked an average of 79mph down a 900m course in normal ski gear. I know it's completely doable to top 80mph on a groomer. To me there's no discussion - I've already proven it. The naysayers obviously don't believe me. They don't trust the judgement of Dantheman, phUnk or altachic either - hands down three of the best skiers on this whole board. Endless - the guy with the radar gun FFS - believes it's possible. And yet these 'flat earthers' still don't think it's even a remote possibility. Irked.

You Utards had better sack up now.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 03-29-2004 at 07:15 AM.

Originally posted by bad_roo
    So where do speed skiers who also have the wax, the skis, the snow and the speed suit get an extra 75mph from? I know. It's all down to the polystyrene calf spoilers and the helmets.

Could it be because they're not making any turns? Just could it? ...
    Simply for arguments' sake, and really I am filled with admiration and respect for the skiers involved in this venture (PowHo - no breaking the face, por favor) BUT...

There are manymanymany factors involved in why speedskiers go so fast:

-The length of the skis is one - they track better.

-Speed Skis do not have ANY sidecut, and the racers actually ski on the inside EDGES. Lower coeficient of friction than the bases.

-Roo, as an automotive journalist, you know about drag. Due to the helmet, leg foils, little pointy caps on the poles, and speed suit, their drag coeficient is better than an F1 car.

I can't find the numbers anymore, but there was a really cool article years ago in Pop. Science about speed skiing. This was just before the Albertville Olympics, where speed skiing was an exibition sport. The article attempted to answer the question why these skiers were exceeding terminal velocity (~130 mph) without any propulsion other than gravity. It all came down to drag and friction.

AC - I hope you prove me wrong. That would kick serious ass, and you would be drinking free for a Happy Hour at the GMD next Feb. when I'm back in LCC. I'd even let your "boyfriend" (probably Fiancee by then.. ) mag in on the liquid goods.

Also, why are we talking about GS? Downhillers turn, but they specifically include speed sections to impress the TV audience, just like they build in jumps. If a WC Downhiller barely breaks 80mph in these sections, well, then...

(Tippster is done flogging this deceased equine)

phUnk can't participate in your special olympics 'cause he'll be helping out the real Special Olympics at Brighton Saturday.

Endless, bring your gun over to Brighton and see who can clock the fastest speed on their S-Rail.

J-

Talking

Originally posted by Lumpy
    Any distinct categories this year? DH boards, mid-fats, fatties, sheep suits, large-goateed men in second hand leotards and minibike helmets, fastest with 12 Busch Lights in the system (Bob)?

My personal setup is comprised of custom de-cambered Pr's sporting numerous 2cm+ ptex keels strategically hanging along whats left of the bases. Looking to hit 35 with a methane fueled burst of green gas. Chili- cheese, broccoli casserol for pre-event dinner the night before...washed down with a Mickey's 40.

I'm bringin' it.

900m track, standing start, 26 seconds to finish. You do the math.

Did it in 31 seconds on a pair of friggin' Motherships without even tucking this January...

Direct looker's left of draglift.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 03-29-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Roo ====> So fast right now.

Originally posted by bad_roo
    900m track, standing start, 26 seconds to finish. You do the math.
    That equals roughly 77mph.

Did it in 31 seconds on a pair of friggin' Motherships without even tucking this January...
    Which equals roughly 65mph. THAT I can believe. It's that extra 15mph that's the trick...

Goddamn it, posted again. Note to self - stop being so fucking argumentative! Like I said before, all respect to all ivolved in these shenanigans...

I wish. More like Roo: So 'cranky sitting in London knowing that the next time he sets foot on snow is in all likelihood 27th December' right now.