Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Skiing this fast took place on a groomer day at alta. No offense take Inspector.

Like I say...I'm sure I can clock at least 80 again with the speed gun. For those of you who have skied with me on a groomer day, know i like to haul ass.

Edit: why is it so difficult to go this fast on mid-fats dexter?
    Last edited by altachic; 03-28-2004 at 04:19 PM.
    you sketchy character, you

last year i was a second year JII, and this year i couldn't go back to finals because of HS lacrosse, so i couldn't make it to any post season USSA or FIS races, during the season i hit up the eastern cup series at Sunday River for FIS but didn't do as well as i had hoped...

It's tough to go that fast on skis that are made for stuff like that. Check out the speeds that DH racers get when they're going straight, and then consider that they've got everything going for them speed-wise: wax, skis, snow, speed-suit...I'm pretty sure I've never hit 80+ even on big race skis. But I never used a GPS or radar gun, so who knows.
    I was just pointing out that in this particular instance, dipstik isn't completely living up to his name.
    [quote][//quote]

i agree with dex... wax is so crucial, and the speed suit def gives you an extra 5-10mph

It's doesn't feel like you're going that fast. When i looked at it, I was surprised...the dude who's GPS i was using then turned to me and said "holy shit! Ummm, you ski fast." He said that without knowing what my max speed was.

This is doable. We'll have to wait and see come saturday. I am done posting in this thread until we see what speeds we clock.
    you sketchy character, you

I saw altachic and DTM at Alta last week and attempted to chase them down on a groomer...She can hit 80.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    10-bucks gets you a day of economy speed reading from Endless. 20 and he'll give you the executive plan. Buy him a home karaoke machine and you just might hit 450mph.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Again, who knows.
    But if she did hit 80 on G4s in regular ski clothing, it would be pretty interesting to see what she could do if she were really set up to go fast.
    [quote][//quote]

Talking

Dex's secret plan finally revealed!

AC + Lycra Speed suit

Oh and what kind of wax? Brazillian?

Shhhhh!
    Her signature really got me thinking, though.
    [quote][//quote]

Blurred Elevens Guest
    I was wondering if since you are skiing downhill as opposed to moving on something flat, does this effect the accuracy of the GPS readings of speed?

Also, I hope you guys have a good run to speed down that doesn't jepardize the lives of the visiting Griswalds...

Talking

Do I need a "codpiece" with my GS suit? Does it come sewn in? Does the aerodynamic properties of said "codpiece" affect my overall race time?

Only if you're planning on racing through 3-4 ft trees.

Powho and I went out with endless a few days before the official speed trap day last year to get the gun dialed. He was hitting 60+ just cruising down chip's and big emma, low angle runs where he wasn't trying at all to go fast. 80 is very doable.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Dantheman
    Powho and I went out with endless a few days before the official speed trap day last year to get the gun dialed. He was hitting 60+ just cruising down chip's and big emma, low angle runs where he wasn't trying at all to go fast. 80 is very doable.
    Yeah, but that's at least partly attributable to the fact that Powho always skis in a GS suit.

Go Powho!

*shaking his head*

Those silly downhill racers, wasting their time on windtunnels, speed suits, wax technicians, race stock skis...

All you need is some G4's and a groomer at Alta, huh? Wow. Who knew... I'm sure Daron, Stephan, Hermann, et al. will be calling asking for tips any day now.

Puhleez, Wiggas. There's something here that doesn't add up. I'm not doubting that you BELIEVE you went 81mph on skis, but if only the best in the world hit that # (none of them women, BTW - they mainly hit the 70's) I honestly don't think it's "doable."

We'll see what goes down, but regardless, going 60+ is no thang for any good skier on fast snow.

A gps is very accurate, we use them in aviation all the time. Yes, the military did make the signal "dumber" for civillian use, it was called selective availability. However, they basically turned it off a couple of years ago. Most gps units will tell you the position error for your location. With the dumber signal I belive the error used to be around 100' = 300'. The other day I had an estimated position error of 13', not too shabby. Radar gun or gps, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Originally posted by dipstik
    Well if you were going so fast before you even tried, didn't that make you a little skeptical?
    Of what, hitting 56 after he warmed up?

Originally posted by Tippster
    I'm not doubting that you BELIEVE you went 81mph on skis, but if only the best in the world hit that # (none of them women, BTW - they mainly hit the 70's) I honestly don't think it's "doable."
    Time will tell.

I think it will also kick you in the nuts when a bunch of us post speeds in the 70's and 80's.

Seriously, I straightlined Alta's No-Name from the top and I actually hit Warp 1.1 near the bottom. Pulled the paint right off my helmet. Damn.

Originally posted by phUnk

I think it will also kick you in the nuts when a bunch of us post speeds in the 70's and 80's.

To be honest, I'll still be skeptical, even with the use of a radar gun, if you guys post speeds in the 80's and claim you did so skiing on a groomer with fatties and baggy clothes.

all i know is that i want video proof!! i want to see video of the person coming down along with footage of the radar gun for me to believe you guys hit 80

Originally posted by Showtime06
    all i know is that i want video proof!! i want to see video of the person coming down along with footage of the radar gun for me to believe you guys hit 80
    and i suppose you want a video of santa claus coming down my chimney too

yea they're pretty much in the same category^^^^

We are talking about doing it switch, right?
    [quote][//quote]