Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4frnt STLs???

4frnt STLs???

I have a chance to get some 177 STLs for cheap, but I dont know anything about the STLs.

My info:
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 170 lbs

A big mountain skier(ex racer) by nature, but need something a little less wide for the days in between the powder.

I have no experience with 4frnt at all. I know the STLs are a park specific ski but Im also wondering how they perform all mountain. I do some park (tables, hips, step up, and booters) but not much and this will mainly be for all mountain use.

How are STLs? How are 4frnts in general? Do they measure long/short/right on(thinking these might be a touch short for me)? How they ski if anyone can provide.

Some skis Ive owned that might be comparable:

176 Mojo 90s - Found them good AM, a bit stiff sometimes.
    182 04/05 (88 underfoot) Scratch BCs - Good. Soft tips.
    175 Trouble Makers - Fun. But they fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle (no offense meant, just a sayin)

If anyone can provide any info Id appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post

A big mountain skier(ex racer) by nature, but need something a little less wide for the days in between the powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

As Far as I know, the STL is a damn soft ski, and I'm not hating, I tend to like soft skis.
    But chances are that if you ride hard you'll overpower them.

The Line Chronic/Chronic Wide/Chronic Blend might be a good ski for you, along with the Karma, but the STL is a pipe and park ski by nature, and FYI, I've heard the guys at 4FRNT (Sterbenz, in particular) can be real douchebags about warranty issues.
    ON3P
    "a simple equation:

force of impact + force of steeze = 0

the two negate each other. for Eric, stomping a 60 ft cornice switch is like jumping on a really soft hotel mattress." - NS member ChronicF explaining why Eric Pollard still has knees.

soft and very, very light ski. Hand flexing it, the ski gave almost no resistance to a soft hand. Great park ski (low swing weight), but I'd doubt it'd do well for you if you'd be skiing it AM.
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

Ok I ski the stl in a 183, and I have it mounted at -1.5cm from Core center, the ski is a great park ski, light and very stable on landigns, it will be similar to the scratch bc you skied only slightly softer, good in all smooth surfaces, ie corn, but fairly weak in crud, I like the ski but it is my park ski only. I have my squads for all mountain.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Ok I ski the stl in a 183, and I have it mounted at -1.5cm from Core center, the ski is a great park ski, light and very stable on landigns, it will be similar to the scratch bc you skied only slightly softer, good in all smooth surfaces, ie corn, but fairly weak in crud, I like the ski but it is my park ski only. I have my squads for all mountain.
    Squads sound like cool skis, I've never seen anyone with them because I thought only pro skiers have them like Hugo Harrison. Do you have any pics of your Squads?

oh and 177 would be way to short.

Thanks Phill, suprised you came through after the first post. haha.

Anyway, I dont think Im gonna be grabbing these. I was just very interested cause I could have gotten them for $200 Canadian and they were brand new; this years. They seem too much of a park ski for me. I just need something to balance out my other skis cause I have nothing under 98 underfoot (except for my race skis). Certainly not a bad thing but I like to have at least some diversity in my quiver.

Any suggestions for some good midfat (85-90) underfoot skis that arent too soft and could be used for both park(about only 20% of my skiing) and AM?

I need something to balance out ANTs, 189 and 179 Seths, and long stiff GS and other race skis.

Thanks.

Any suggestions for some good midfat (85-90) underfoot skis that arent too soft and could be used for both park(about only 20% of my skiing) and AM?
    Public Enemies. Cheap, too.

You're welcome.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 06-19-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Squads sound like cool skis, I've never seen anyone with them because I thought only pro skiers have them like Hugo Harrison. Do you have any pics of your Squads?
    Is this a joke?

Check the quiver pic thread in tech talk, tons of people have squads.

They're WAY easier to ski than head im103s

EDIT:

To answer duderinos questions, look at:

4frnt MSP

Armada ANTs

Volkl Karma

I think theres probably some others, but thats all I can think of for now.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 06-19-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Is this a joke?

Check the quiver pic thread in tech talk, tons of people have squads.

They're WAY easier to ski than head im103s

EDIT:

To answer duderinos questions, look at:

4frnt MSP

Armada ANTs

Volkl Karma

I think theres probably some others, but thats all I can think of for now.

You totally fail at the internet

SSD, Ive looked at PEs. I dont know if Ill like them that much though. Ive only had one run on them, a friends, and they didnt seem that fun.

Thanks for the suggestions leroy. Ive got ANTs though and thats what Im trying to balance out. MSPs seem too wide.

Get an im.88

or the xrc 1200, thats what I'm getting next season as my hard snow ski

I need something to balance out ANTs, 189 and 179 Seths, and long stiff GS and other race skis.
    Phil is gonna roll his eyes at this (he hates them) but I suggest mojo 90s then if you're looking for a stiffer AM ski that can dabble in the park. I have mine mounted at the line though and if I cared more, I'd probably mount them -2 from the line since I only ski them ~30% in the park.

If you can, see if you can try them first before buying. Most people I have met love them, but some don't.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Phil is gonna roll his eyes at this (he hates them) but I suggest mojo 90s then if you're looking for a stiffer AM ski that can dabble in the park. I have mine mounted at the line though and if I cared more, I'd probably mount them -2 from the line since I only ski them ~30% in the park.

If you can, see if you can try them first before buying. Most people I have met love them, but some don't.

mojo 90's suck. Too stiff in weird ways short running length and a fuck lot of tail. combination of flex and sidecut do not work together well.

Check out the 187 Chronic Wides, or the older 186 Eric Pollard Pro models, I think they are both 86 underfoot (or there-abouts) and have a med flex throughout. Super nice skis.

He may be on here too, but J.D._May on NS has some of the Wides for sale, I believe.
    ON3P
    "a simple equation:

force of impact + force of steeze = 0

the two negate each other. for Eric, stomping a 60 ft cornice switch is like jumping on a really soft hotel mattress." - NS member ChronicF explaining why Eric Pollard still has knees.

mojo 90's suck. Too stiff in weird ways short running length and a fuck lot of tail. combination of flex and sidecut do not work together well.
    Except that 186's have a running length longer than 191 ANTs. 157cm vs. 155cm with bases pressed together.

And your idol skis them and loves them.
    Last edited by Dug; 06-20-2007 at 01:09 AM.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Had Mojo 90s. Like Phill said too stiff and just didnt work.
    I already have good slalom skis for hard pack.
    Im looking into some older Chronics.

Völkl Karma, 'nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Fujatives...

Fujatives...
    ....are going to suck out side the park. But can be found dirt cheap so yea.

What I'd do if I were you is get a very cheap park ski for jibbing (stl or fuja) and then buy a cross ski which works well on hard pack and crud w/ a firm base under and then break out your ants if there is more than 4" of pow/crud. Oh yea, sell your slaloms.

Yeah. I might do that. I can get some cheap Fujis with bindings and then can get some Line Moships or Chronic Wides for the inbetween.
    What I use the ANTs for is not the problem, its finding something else that I suck at. I know nothing about park/midfat skis... or very little.

OMG UR SO CORE.

Wow, never heard of many people disliking the Mojo 90s this much before. I have a pair I loved, they were mounted -2 or so and were a great everything ski, to much pow and they'd dive a bit but what can you expect with a ski like that. IMO one of the great quiver of one skis. I'll agree taht mounted at the line they're not great, I have em mounted on the line now with Naxos and only skied em twice or so this winter, but mainly cause I found they felt like noodles compared to my everyday squads.

What am I getting at, if you ahve a chance try a pair of Mojo 90's mounted back from the mark, they're killer for AM.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

It's a real hate it or love it ski, some of the guys I ski with, including one who is the best skier I know, LOVE it. Myself, and others, absolutly despise it.