Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Berlin Diary by William Shirer - Good stuff. 1941 Best Seller. Spooky. "First-hand account of the rise of Nazi Germany and its road to war, as witnessed by the American journalist William L. Shirer.[ Shirer, a radio reporter for CBS, covered Germany for several years until the Nazi press censors made it impossible for him to report objectively to his listeners in the United States"...........wikipedia

Attachment 302813Attachment 302814
    He later wrote "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," which is also fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Beneath A Scarlet Sky
    Yup. Great book.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I picked that up from a hostel "leave your old books here" shelf and found it way more interesting than I expected.
    I wanted to like it but found it repetitive and pretty boring. For each their own.

I just listened to Commander In Cheat by Rick Reilly, narrated by same on a long road trip. A 12hr+ listen. Kinda interesting that makes sense of the mindset of tRUmp. Amazing how much a countries golf proclivities factor into some of his "decisions".
    Yeah, not a read, I know.
    This is the winter I knock some of my books out, if nothing to appease the wife cuz of how many I have stock piled.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Lonesome Dove - should've read this years ago. Pretty sure Gus is someone I've met many times before and enjoyed his company every single time.
    a truly great book. I ignored it for a long time because of the cheesy name and cover that made it look like a western romance novel. But the character development is simply fantastic. By the end of the book, when things happened, I knew exactly how the characters would react to those events, because I deeply knew and understood them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

that’s one of the best books ever
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    a truly great book. I ignored it for a long time because of the cheesy name and cover that made it look like a western romance novel. But the character development is simply fantastic. By the end of the book, when things happened, I knew exactly how the characters would react to those events, because I deeply knew and understood them.
    Oh man, those are the exact same reasons I put it off. But hey, better late than never. I can already tell it's going to be one of these books that I don't want to see end.

Just finished Buried by Ken Wylie. Sobering read, felt like it went a little off the rails at times, but I didn't expect to relate as closely as I did to the emotions/thoughts/insecurities that he chronicles. Highly recommended if you can track a copy of it down.

Starting Winners Take All by Anand Giridharadas next.

I'm juggling Freedom Found, Warren Miller's memoir along with my other reads. It's nice for a little levity sometimes. He was a funny guy.

A Trappers Journal, by Osborne Russell
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dog Star...read it before, enjoyed it again. Dystopian survival story with a very personal aire about it.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. Just started it last night and I can tell it's going to keep me up late nights till I finish it (which shouldn't take long). I'm a sucker for these kind of books.

What book are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Just finished Buried by Ken Wylie. Sobering read, felt like it went a little off the rails at times, but I didn't expect to relate as closely as I did to the emotions/thoughts/insecurities that he chronicles. Highly recommended if you can track a copy of it down.
    Got a copy today; read it straight through in one sitting. Wow, what a read; it goes far beyond a simple story of a tragic avalanche. Wylie is a gifted writer, unafraid of baring his soul. Recommended.

Edit: I rarely keep books; if anyone wants my copy, pm me: $5 shipped. Worth it.
    Last edited by Flyoverland Captive; 11-30-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    A bit more skepticism is what our world needs.
    swing your fucking sword.

Helter Skelter, again.

English Creek / doing
    "Can't you see..."

I found Fear sitting on the kitchen table so I started reading. I'm 40 pages in. However it disappeared later in the day. Turns out my wife had borrowed it from the neighbor for her dad to read and yes away for two weeks. It has been returned and I am not sure it's compelling enough to pick back up if I get my hands on it again. Woodward's style grates on me. So do the characters.

How To Safe An AR And Find Friends and Admirers....

By you know who
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

"The Art of Trolling the ECRC Thread"

By Benny Profane
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm trying to get through Dune before the remake hits theaters/home streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I'm trying to get through Dune before the remake hits theaters/home streaming.
    Dune is one if those epic books that should never be made into a movie because you can not do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Dune is one if those epic books that should never be made into a movie because you can not do it justice.
    I keep hearing that, but I'm not flying through it like I would with other sci-fi titles I've read. Maybe it's the density or that it's several decades old now? In any case, I remain committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I keep hearing that, but I'm not flying through it like I would with other sci-fi titles I've read. Maybe it's the density or that it's several decades old now? In any case, I remain committed.
    I flew through it. What's your issue? Of course I was 13 the first time I read it.

I just read the English Creek trilogy by Ivan Doig. I'd read the first book a couple times but never the others. A great read. Doig is pretty unmatched at painting a picture with words.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I flew through it. What's your issue? Of course I was 13 the first time I read it.
    Not flying through it? Writing style? Dunno. It isn't the page-turner I was expecting, Then again, it's a 55-year-old sci-fi epic. I like it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I just read the English Creek trilogy by Ivan Doig. I'd read the first book a couple times but never the others. A great read. Doig is pretty unmatched at painting a picture with words.
    My aunt keeps recommending The Whistling Season. It's on my list.