Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Raising the Bar by Gary Erickson

A little different than I anticipated, but an interestingly good read in relation to running a small business and that type of practical application.

I also spew a good dose of Dr. Suess each night to the kiddos..
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

i sympathize with anyone reading "guns, germs and steel" and/ or "moby dick".
    completely agree, that guns and germs is redundant and pedantic. moby dick is just the worst in the most childish i don't like this book and can't state my reasons sort of way.

satanic verses=awesome, as is sometimes a great notion.

recently finished

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep- Phillip K. Dick (freaking awesome and any PKD book recommendation would rule minus The Man in the High Castle (read)).

No Country For Old Men- Cormac McCarthy. Another incredible book. The movie should be great as well, but book is Ghostface Killa for realz.
    reading:

Some F Scott Fitzgerald Short Stories. Not a huge fan of Fitzgerald's prose/ style, but i think he can write the climax of a story better than anyone. and yes, that goes against the first statement.

Faulkner- Collected Works. Awesome collection of a bunch of stuff already read and some i have not read. Really cool as it is a chronological look at Yoknapataphua (spelling?) County, regardless of when the stories were written. It includes a map of the county drawn by Faulkner which includes where the stories took place (location dots) and which i want to tatoo on my stomach. Also some incredible introductions to the sections and stories themselves. Taking me a minute, but i read too much of this dude anyways.

My daughter has AP English lit. next year, so she has to pre-read most of her books this summer. So I picked "Waiting for Godot". I had read bits and pieces of it, but could never get all the way through it. I managed to get half way through the second act yesterday, but faltered again. I will try and finish it

reading two at the moment:

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid and

Stalin: The Court of The Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

For my Tom Clancy fix: The Bear and the Dragon....

Also, I just came across this book and would highly recommend it to the TGR crowd: The Zurich Axioms by Max Guenther

I thought this one quote was especially true for this crowd:

Major Axiom #1: ON RISK - Worry is not a sickness, but a sign of health. If you are not worried, you are not risking enough. Adventure is what makes life worth living. And the way to have an adventure is to expose yourself to risk.
    Me, I want to live with my feet in Dixie
    and my head in the cool blue North
    - Jimmy Buffet (Nothin' but a breeze)

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

For some unknown reason, the dialogue and Burrough's unique way of writing is making more sense now than ever before. If I wasn't incredibly sick right now, it would be extremely difficult to put down this book.

This is the 2nd copy I've bought and it includes a wealth of background information as well as original versions of many of the chapters. Never did I know this was a work that need nearly 10 years to be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c View Post
    i sympathize with anyone reading "guns, germs and steel" and/ or "moby dick".
    completely agree, that guns and germs is redundant and pedantic. moby dick is just the worst in the most childish i don't like this book and can't state my reasons sort of way.

Out of respect for your otherwise excellent taste I will wait in silence until you can state your reasons.

I'm still reading this. It's very interesting. This chick kicks some serious ass in this book.

Roughing It - Mark Twain

http://www.amazon.com/Roughing-Signe.../dp/0451524071

Great book, awesome details about how the west used to be

"God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens. Almost done with it. He makes a ton of sense, I challenge people of faith to read and rebut it. Plus he's a smooth and lucid writer. A good read.

Book 6 of the most kick-ass Fantasy series ever: The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Thumbs up

I'm enjoying the novel Diary by chuck palahniuk. Crazy...and totally recommended!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I really hope there is no nuclear war because his discription of a post apocoliptic world makes me shudder.

"The last place on earth"
    About Scott and Admunsen racing to the south pole.

'golf is not a game of perfect' Rob Rotella

ya, no kidding!!

just finished

A Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo
    Lone Survivor by Marcus something
    Inside the Machine by * *, book about processor architecture

reading now
    Someone to Run With by David Grossman (great book so far!)

I go through 2-4 books a week on average, I'm addicted to good books.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Just finished: Running with Scissors and Water for Elephants
    haven't started anything new yet.

Started "No Country for Old Men"...gotta read it before the Coen Brothers attempt to do it justice...which I trust they will.
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

Just finished Harry Potter on the flight back from Argentina and now it's back to reading articles for work, sigh... Probably won't be able to read another book for pleasure until Christmas since the fall is going to be really busy.

Just finished "what is what" by Dave Eggers...far cry from his other books since it's a serious topic, but very well written and not a weighty book for such an intense subject (the Lost Boys, and no, not the 80s movie).

Have a Sherman Alexie book sitting around (Indian Killer) but I haven't started it yet...love his short stories but haven't read one of his novels...

The Predator's Ball

Nothing says fun like reading about bond trading
    Decisions Decisions

Last of the breed
    louis l'amour

i have like four books going right now

the road by cormac mcarthy
    focault's pendulum by umberto eco
    next by michael crichton
    road work by mark bowden

Last night I finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - a year of food life by Barbara Kingsolver, who also wrote Pigs In Heaven and some other good reads. This one is about living a year on a local diet, and no, it's not all hippie granola-y. I've been trying the as-much-as-possible local thing since June so this was inspiring. It was an interesting & quick read, I went through it in 3 days, and I recommend it to just about anyone.