Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bump
    Looking for inexpensive rod/reel advise for the 9 yo. He's never been fishing. I haven't been in a long long time. We'll be parking ourselves in a small backcountry alpine lake basin for a couple of days. I'm thinking about lures. Should i be considering an inexpensive telescoping pole; maybe an inexpensive "backcountry kit"? If he gets into it, i can see his two younger siblings doing so too. We're good with that, but need to keep cost down.
    Cheapest / easiest option is probably a Ronco Pocket Fisherman at 20 bucks total. For about the same price, you could get an Ugly Stik package that has everything but the lures but won't be as compact. It will, however, serve your family for years and probably will never break. For about $40 you could get something like an Okuma Voyager travel kit... which would be great as a backpacking setup.

I got into fishing because of my kid. He's way into it and it's pretty addictive and cheap once you have your license and setup. For lures, it's always a good policy to just hit the bait shop / general store nearest your destination. A lot of times you can get some free advice and some tackle specific to your location. Or, if you're going to keep the fish you catch, you could always just use power bait... Have fun.

right here is all you need. My 3 year old dominates with it:
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

I bought my wife a spinning rod and reel on the weekend.

It's been a few years since I've been out fishing, and I haven't used a spinning rod since I was 12. Bought her some marshmallows and Velveeta to use as bait in the little trout pond near our house.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Thanks for suggestions.

With limited time, i found a cheapo ugly stik with spincast reel at kmart. It did the job great. Unfortunately, the unstocked alpine and subalpine lakes in the sierra are hurting pretty bad from the drought. We had some bait nibbles and that was it, our bait hooks were too big i think. We also loss a few lures and i loss two flies. It was good to experience that for him. The kid had a great time and good times were still had. My guess is that the love affair is starting. My boy takes joy in the fact that we are near the same place in the learning curve and im willing to untangle his bird nests.

Get your son a Tenkara rod! Easy to learn and wicked fun, plus it will train him to be an expert fly fisherman by the time he's 12!

You should fly to Alaska and come fishing with me.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

They have "all-in-one" setups with a rod, reel pre-strung with line, and a sampling of lures for $14.95 to $19.95. Hard to beat that price.
    Agreed. But the line is usually garbage and will tangle just by looking at it. Definitely worth putting some better line on the rod - for your sake.

And x2 to removing the barbs from the hooks. Better for everyone involved.

How Hard Can It Be?; Avery Crushing It!

"this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

My buddy's kids have a known hog trough in the backyard. They think all trout fishing is like this.

They have no idea.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Fucking. Awesome.

That might be the best thing I have ever seen in the interwebs
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by timothywpothier View Post
    Taking kids along while going for fishing is a great fun. They show great interest and inspires me to do the fishing for longer time. But I lost concentration over fishing due to manage my kids, because they're in so rush all the time.
    When fishing with kids, it isn't about me. I reserve my "me" time. Taking kids fishing is about the kids having a good experience. This ensures I can manage them and make it enjoyable
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

kenv Guest

hi

Happy kids, happy family!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    When fishing with kids, it isn't about me. I reserve my "me" time. Taking kids fishing is about the kids having a good experience. This ensures I can manage them and make it enjoyable
    +1
    ...BUT I agree with the Dad, not quite 4yo is still a little young to actually do the casting, maybe cast/mend for him then hand him the rod. Just get him out in the great outdoors OFTEN...in forests or along an unpolluted coast, near troutstreams/rivers, etc, ....especially where there might be a chance of seeing some wildlife...and interesting terrain..
    Last edited by steved; 01-06-2016 at 12:09 PM.