Thread: Loose Fork

Loose Fork

I have an old (7 years) Trek 4500 nearly all stock.

This past weekend while riding in the Gallatins my fork loosened up pretty badly, as in I could move the fork with my hands quite a bid back and forth (never happened before). When I got back I loosened up the stem and then tightened the top screw (name?) It got it pretty tight but it is still not perfect, still kind of loose.

Any idea as to what might have happened? Should I be worried about anything and/or take it to a shop? The bike has been abused pretty badly in the last two years. I'm hoping this is serious enough that I will have to buy a new bike.

Oh, I almost forgot, the bike was on a roof rack (fork mounted) for a 1300 mile journey across the country a few days before the rides.

You probably lost some bearings and will need a new headset.
    For that bike, just get a $20-30 hs, it'll probably be $20-30 labor to install it, and start saving your $$ for new bike.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

How would I have lost them? I haven't taken apart the bike or headset anytime within the last few years. Is the only way to know for sure mean opening it up and seeing?

Probably the cage that holds the bearings is broken and something either fell out/is off kilter/is partially ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by wanghoeby View Post
    How would I have lost them? I haven't taken apart the bike or headset anytime within the last few years. Is the only way to know for sure mean opening it up and seeing?
    What crashnburned said.
    Once it got really loose, the cage was probably mangled. The bearings are small, once any fall out, the symptom will be that you will never be able to get the hs adjusted correctly.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

If it is your headset simple get it replaced with a sealed bearing headset. If you tightened the headset and all bearings are there you should check the pressfit on the steerer tube and crown. i have broken 2 fox forks at that point. It is not catastrophic when it breaks you'll turn your bars and your fork won't turn. If the fork is creaking when you ride worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    If it is your headset simple get it replaced with a sealed bearing headset. If you tightened the headset and all bearings are there you should check the pressfit on the steerer tube and crown. i have broken 2 fox forks at that point. It is not catastrophic when it breaks you'll turn your bars and your fork won't turn. If the fork is creaking when you ride worth checking out.
    This might be an issue, I'll have to check.

If you've got a good LBS, take it there. That's what they're for.
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.