Cool A CO TR: Another long day on sick lines. 6/3/07

I must say that this is the longest I have pushed the season in the backcountry and it has been a mixed bag. The first long day on 2 classics was like a dream, the next 2 trips for me were less like a dream but more like a nightmare (Pacific, and Ice). So upto this point I kinda got a little burned out on the spring, and took last weekend off from skiing. This weekend I got talked into skiing again only cause I had some sick lines in mind and some eager partners so it was pretty much for sure a go.

The lines were accessed from Mt. Evans and were pretty nice, with pleanty of options abound.

I first wanted to ski the diamond or the skinny line to the lookes left of the sunshine couloir. Both looked like bad options apon arrivle, as the diamond had a mandatory air in the first 20 or so feet and was tight and steep, and the other line (possibly called the pencil) was just looking scary considering it would put me on my heel edge on steep tight terrain for the majority of the curtial turns and I am more likely to blow a heel edge turn than a toe edge turn.

Anyway we all met up on evans leaving a car at echo lake for a possible extra credit line. I got a look at the extra credit line first thing while scoping all the other lines and noticed it was un-skied and in the sun. All the other lines above summit lake had for the most part been skiied out and the other options the haden't been skiied out looked meager. We rallied up at the top and burned heavily waiting for the snow to soften up as it was pretty bullet proof at summit lake. Around 9:30 we decided to start hiking but I knew the line we all wanted was still in the shade but I didn't care cause I wasn't here for the tourist line anyway. I told them all I was skiing it if it was icy or not (they were not thrilled) cause I new the extra credit line was going to be the sickness, and he had to get it before the storms came in.

Apon approaching the entrance I was excited because as I thought the entrance was pretty technical due to steepness, rocks, and ice. I could see into the line form a vantage point and knew that once I got in to the chute it would be all over. Everyone else was like I don't think you can ski into it.....

I told them yes you can, just watch me, and follow me slow and safely once I give the signal. I went first and tried to ride it as clean as possible, with minimal side slippage. I got into the chute with no event and only about 15 feet of side slipping. Once in the chute it was pretty cruiser except that it was frozen icy ski tracks that here pretty hard on the legs.

I got down to a good stopping point where I could shoot pics mostly out of the way of debree and gave the signal to those up top. My friend nathan went next also on a snowboard, he made it down great and was stoked!

Pics:

Next went my friend steve on skis, he got through the nastiness alright but lost his ski only a few turns in.
    Before shit went wrong:

It launched off the clliff, disslodged a rock and wasn't stopping. Lucky for him it stopped and didn't go all the way down. Mean while his brother was having some fun on the rocks above.

This pic sums it up pretty good:

That's why I don't ski!

Anyway here are some more shots of them:

Steves brother david lost a ski at the bottom, here are some shots just after that:

We got to the bottom and discussed what to do as weather was moving in, steves knee was shot for the day and we had to burn one. We made a plan of action and I raced off for the extra credit line, as steve went over to the saddle that drops into chicago lakes with my camera to hopefully get some shots of the Extra Credit line: The Goldfinger Coulior..........

The line with no tracks what so ever:

We high tailed it up and over spaulding to the goldfinger as evans got socked in and to the west it was looking dark and moist near guenilla pass. I arrived first and scoped the line from the side as I waited for my partners david and nathan. The storm was rolling in as nathan arrived (last to arrive) and david was getting scared to get moving as it started to snow or hail or something.

I offered him to go first while we were waiting for nathan but he didn't want the honor of first tracks. Instead I had to lead the way again, there was a really steep roll about 50 feet or less in. once at the roll I came across on my heels at the steep part and realized that once I got on the steep section the snow was really soft and I decided to do a ski cut over the roll. I proceded to rip the first turns of this year in the line, unfortunately it was socked in and steve didn't get pics of me or nathan who went second. The snow was so good that I had to stop 2 times to let the slough go by cause it could have taken me out. It was like powder almost! This made it totally worth the entire trip.

Pics of david :

Me and Nathan and our lines:

Sorry that the pics kinda suck, I will have to make up for it next year.

Enjoy!

AWESOME - those clouds that rolled in were nasty ...

Great skiing, for June!

kachow as my two year old says.

strong work!

however:
    first turns in goldfinger of the year --> maybe
    first turns in goldfinger of the season --> no
    see http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68447

Nonetheless a very sweet, steep line!

Nice pics/lines, although maybe you need to fix the exposure on your camera?

You should make a giant animated gif with the goldfinger sequence....

yea I guess I chose my wording wrong I even read that prior to this trip. Anyway it was the first set of tracks so.... it was really good.

Anyway I don't think it's the camera as it was being used on auto, however the polarizer filter might have had some affect, and the fog and bad weather more than account for what your seeing on the goldfinger shots.

Damn I have recieved way less comments then the other 2 mt. evans threads and I got a fresh line........ Wassup with that?

I must be long winded and my pics must suck..... I know the line didn't.

Shameless bump!

actually its very good but ski season is over/the number of posts has dropped across

and you probably could use a longer telephoto

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

sledneckripper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox View Post
    Damn I have recieved way less comments then the other 2 mt. evans threads and I got a fresh line........ Wassup with that?

I must be long winded and my pics must suck..... I know the line didn't.

Shameless bump!
    Dude, quit being a faggot and don't worry about your response count. Are you that insecure? Looks like a sick line, but most of your pics suck ass. Congrats on hitting some gnar, but to be honest it is not the greatest line in that area. I ride my sled up around there every winter and have scoped some sick shit on some of the other terrain. Spaulding, Rosalie, Logan, etc.

Just keep posting.... with practice the TR's and pictures start to get better as well.
    People also start to get TR'd out a bit and think more about mountain biking.

After you know a few CO maggots the count usually goes up and you get a few more comments.
    I know how it feels...... it's kind of nice to get a few responses when you already invested all the time to put a TR up.

(There are just way to many lurkers around here who do not contribute anything.)

I love the super zoomed out shots that really convey the enormity of the line. Pretty badass.

yea I am just a bitch sledneck you sure know me. I woulden't even have the balls to ride whatever the lines you are supposedly scoping anyway.....RIGHT!

Lets see some proof as I know there are no roads that go up most of those mountains and you are full of shit unless you are a person with no ethical perception or moral obligations to obay the rules.

Anyway if you really want to know why I care it's because it helps to have positive encouragement when you put your ass on the line and spend alot of time, effort, and sometimes money just to share some info with others and help contribute to the progression of the community. sorry if that makes me an insecure pussy.

Thanks Iridepow I appreciate the understanding.

I just found my telephoto lens yesterday but yea it would have been nice to have.

forum8fox: Don't feed the troll.

sledneckripper Guest
    yea I am just a bitch sledneck you sure know me. I woulden't even have the balls to ride whatever the lines you are supposedly scoping anyway.....RIGHT!

Lets see some proof as I know there are no roads that go up most of those mountains and you are full of shit unless you are a person with no ethical perception or moral obligations to obay the rules.

Anyway if you really want to know why I care it's because it helps to have positive encouragement when you put your ass on the line and spend alot of time, effort, and sometimes money just to share some info with others and help contribute to the progression of the community. sorry if that makes me an insecure pussy.

Thanks Iridepow I appreciate the understanding.

I just found my telephoto lens yesterday but yea it would have been nice to have.

Chill man. You can't take feedback, can you? I bet you get all pissed off when your boss gives you feedback at work. Can't handle it, can you?

I do ride my sled up around there in the winter. I'm not harming shit. I'm riding on snow, not on the tundra. I leave no trace, nobody knows I've been there. I too spend lot's of money, more than you can imagine on taking my sled to those places.

So, relax, don't worry so much about how many people post in your stupid threads, and chill the fuck out.