INTRO TO DOWNHILL (DH): CULTURE, ETIQUETTE AND SAFETY

With all the DH questions lately this seemed appropriate. Found it on the Mountain States Cup website while looking for other things.

INTRO TO DOWNHILL (DH): CULTURE, ETIQUETTE AND SAFETY
    By Nate McKay, DH Discipline Manager, Bigfoot Productions
    SECTION 1: Intro
    SECTION 2: FAQ
    SECTION 3: Etiquette
    SECTION 4: Safety
    SECTION 5: THE CHAIRLIFT
    SECTION 6: Summary

So, you’re considering stepping into the world of gravity assisted mountain bike racing. Tackling on of these monstrosities of a course is enough of a challenge, not to mention all of the “unwritten rules” that are associated with the sport. To compound the whole thing, those out there who seem to have some experience are mostly covered in gear, looking similar to a storm trooper out for battle. Sometimes they’ll have music playing in their helmet, so when you go to ask a simple question, they seem to not listen or not care, but don’t be put off – that’s usually not the case. Most DH riders are a bunch of skinny, bony dudes that just don’t want to get injured out there. Most of ‘em don’t mind answering questions or giving advice, you just might have to repeat yourself at a high volume in order for them to understand you through all of their protective gear. The following paragraphs contain some answers for some commonly asked questions for first timers to the sport. Spending a bit of time going over these simple things will help keep everyone safe and having a great time out there.

DH FAQ
    Why do they have all of that gear?
    Although it may look ridiculous for just riding a bicycle, once you’re on the hill you’ll understand why. Even if you have been riding or racing bikes for years, but haven’t had a lift assisted DH experience, you’re gonna want to get some gear. It’ll save your hide. Literally. Your first couple runs may be timid, but it won’t take long before you find yourself going faster than ever before. A moderately experienced downhill racer will be going much faster than even a motorcycle down the same trail. Even a little extra protective gear can mean the difference between dusting yourself off and continuing or the end of your weekend. This can be a lot to invest in at first, so get what you can and borrow anything else. Most guys accumulate extra gear through the years, and are willing to help someone out. An average amount of protection will include:
    - Full face helmet - because a helmet is cheaper than a dentist.
    - Chest and shoulder protection - the collarbone and shoulder is the most common injury in the sport of cycling.
    - Elbow and forearm guards - some riders don’t use them, but we recommend it.
    - Hip and “sensitive area” protection - does this even need an explanation?
    - Knee and Shin guards - who among us doesn’t have lumpy shins and sore knee from an occasional rock or tree?
    - Comfortable, reliable shoes - with toe guard and easy to hike in.

Do I really need a downhill bike?How should I set it up?
    Honestly? Yes. DH rigs are designed specifically to handle the rugged and vertical nature of the discipline. It’s inevitable that sometime in your past you have ridden a bicycle downhill. But what exists on downhill trails are meant to test rider and equipment to the maximum. Steep sections, large rock gardens, jumps, drop offs, and very high speeds will threaten your wellbeing every moment. Here are some things to consider while getting a bike set up for your first time.
    - Good body position - this is one of the most important parts of getting down the hill. When you sit on this bike, first off, make sure you can touch the ground while sitting on the seat.You’ll want a low center of gravity so you can carve turns and handle bumps.
    - Second, make sure you can comfortably reach the handlebars, you’ll want to be fairly upright. While holding the bars, look down to the front axle of the bike. Most riders want the axle to appear to be directly under the handlebars or just in front of them. If the handlebar appears in front of the axle the stem is to long.
    - Next, reach out with your first two fingers to see where the brake lever is. You may need to make some adjustments so they are easy to reach, also make sure they don’t hit any other knuckles when activated. Lots of suspension is helpful, but not as important as good body position.

What about components?
    On any given day at a bike park or downhill race there are a few oddballs out on bikes with no suspension, but there are a few things that are common on all gravity fed bikes.
    - First thing to check is the tires, you will want big, fat, two ply tires. Even if you have all the best equipment, if you don’t have good tires all of that will be useless. And don’t pump ‘em up to 60PSI thinking that this will make you faster because of less rolling resistance. This is the weak-minded vanity of many XC riders (that high tire pressure means less rolling resistance). While this is true in the short term, you just can’t maintain your speed once you sacrificed all the traction that proper tire inflation gives you. Hard to go fast when you’re laying in the middle of the trail, right?
    - Sitting in a close second is brakes. The added mass and traction of heavy tires will handle considerably different and be much harder to slow down. Disk brakes are imperative, and if possible get some larger rotors for added power. Also check the width of the handlebars. You’ll want nice, wide, heavy duty bars, that have enough rise to keep your body upright.
    Aside from these key things, check the general condition of the bike. Are the wheels straight and the spokes tight? Is all of my cable and housing intact and sliding smoothly? Is my derailleur straight and adjusted correctly as to not go into the spokes or off the bottom gear? Are all my bolts and bearings at the correct torque? Is my bike clean and structurally sound for a day of abuse? If all of this checks out, go for it! Be sure to check your equipment throughout the day and give a good inspection at the end of the day when you clean your bike.

I hope that answers some questions about “needing” a complete downhill bike. It is not absolutely necessary your first time, but as you continue enjoying lift assisted mountain biking, all components not built for the abuse, will quickly crumble and fail. Eventually you will find yourself riding a fantastic gravity sled having the time of your life. I like to compare this sport to downhill skiing: it won’t be long until you put your free-heel cross country skies in the closet and sharpen the edges and lock in your heel on your new gravity sled set up.

GRAVITY ETIQUETTE
    DH Start-The start of a downhill trail can be kind of confusing when you roll up for the first time. Some basic guidelines to follow will help you.

1. Pull to the side and check your equipment before you start. Do not wait until you are in the gate to put on protective gear.

2. Put your equipment off to the side while waiting.

3. Always be aware of mountain vehicle access. Resort vehicles can be on any road at any time.

4. When racing, always be aware of your start time! Always give yourself a 30min minimum to be on the chairlift at the bottom. Some chairs can have as much as a 20min ride.

DH SAFETY ON-COURSE
    Once you have made it on the trail, more guidelines to help the run go smoothly. These rules keep you and everyone else around you safe, so pay attention and try to put them into practice on each and every run whether it’s a foot-inspection or a full-on race run.

- Stay out of the middle of the trail if you’re inspecting on foot or if you’ve crashed. By its very nature DH is a velocity-lover’s sport and it’s hard to shut it down sometimes, especially when encountering riders or spectators where they’re not supposed to be. Here’s what Pro Downhiller Matt Thompson has to say about rule #1:
    I would add something in the dh section about riders needing to inspect technical sections of trail. Of course this must be done, but they need to be aware of and sensitive to oncoming traffic down the track. Too often at MSC races, I have approached a technical section of the track, come around a blind corner, and encountered people standing in the middle of the trail. Not only is this discourteous, but it is dangerous. On more than one occasion, I have actually collided with racers just standing there inspecting the line. Again, I know it must be done (I do it myself), but I've had many practice runs ruined and many altercations that could have been avoided with a little etiquette education. Honestly, this has been my single biggest complaint with attending any MSC races in the past. I believe the combination of separate practice times, rider education, and perhaps a designated time for track-walk (like what happens at World Cups) would greatly minimize this problem.

- Be aware of the trail in front of you. If you’re unsure of a technical section in front of you, pull out of the way in a controlled manner, set your bike outside of the course, be aware of traffic coming down the hill and inspect the trail on foot. ALWAYS PRACTICE RULE #1 WHEN FOOT INSPECTING!

- If a crash occurs, the first thing you need to do is assess your condition. Don’t panic and think you will have to get out of the way if you feel very injured. To an extent riders need to all be aware of traffic in front of them on a crowded trail and sometimes an injured rider can’t move quickly enough. This is acceptable, but if you’re able to move YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU AND MOVE. Once you have established that you are OK, immediately collect all of your equipment and get out of the way. Check your bike and yourself to see if you may need some assistance, if so flag someone down to send messages to the bottom, for first aid or other assistance. If all is well go to somewhere were you can see up the trail a ways, wait for a gap and merge back on trail.

- Now at the bottom the ride is over. Resort base areas are often crowded and full of other riders, vendors and spectators. Control your speed and get back in line.

THE CHAIRLIFT
    - Much like skiing, the lift line can be the biggest catastrophe. Hopefully this will help.
    - If it’s your first time, stand to the side and observe how everyone’s bikes are being loaded.
    - Always listen to the people operating the chairlift. They have a very physical job and it must go as smoothly as possible.
    - Have your equipment attached securely to yourself and get on the chair.
    - Keep your stuff secure while riding the chair.
    - At the top, get off the chair, down the ramp and out of the way. Be ready to collect your bike as soon as it arrives.

SUMMARY:
    Being new to the sport of downhill is a bit intimidating your first times out. Everyone is suited for battle, nameless and faceless like a bunch of imperial storm troopers out for defending the death star, but underneath we’re mostly a bunch of skinny dudes afraid of getting hurt. Communicate with the other riders about your ability, no one wants to force you off the trail or cause an accident. Most of us are friends you just haven’t met yet, and are more than willing to be helpful and accommodating. We were all beginners once...

You forgot one thing. Always remember limit your beers the night before a race. I nice low number like 10 is a good place to start. This can be adjusted for 3.2 or real beer depending on what state your in.
    Don't make me come get you....

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    You forgot one thing. Always remember limit your beers the night before a race. I nice low number like 10 is a good place to start. This can be adjusted for 3.2 or real beer depending on what state your in.
    And don't forget to factor in the elevation when drinking excessively before a race in Brianhead.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    limit your beers the night before a race. I nice low number like 10
    I like that you think 10 beers are on the low side. But I guess drinking 10, 3.2's is just like prehydrating yourself before a race.
    A gay-rage full of toys. You can guess em.