best/durable XC wheels??

I have been reading around trying to find a good wheel set or rim/hub combination that can stand up to some abuse. Problem is that my shite mavic x139's constantly need truing. I don't ride hardcore, don't race, just like to ride XC agressively. Wondering if anyone can suggest a wheelset or rim/hub combination that is not too heavy cause i still do lots of climbs, not super expensive. I am toying with the idea of building my own, as involved as that may be.

So if you have some advice or knowledge to share about wheels, spit it here.

thanks

EDIT:rim brakes, i have Avid Single digit 7's that I am very happy with.
    Last edited by Crinkle; 03-17-2004 at 03:05 PM.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

rim or disc brakes?

I have mavic 517s on XTR hubs that ran near-flawlessly for a while of heavy riding/xc racing. got 'em for about $250. The back page of the nashbar catalog had a nice assortment of closeout wheelsets, check it.

Don't get anything less than an XT hub if you get shimano, lx is crapola.

I'm going to be running mavic crossmax sl's on my new bike...hope they hold up. they retail for as much as my previous bike.

If you can hold out until veloswap in the fall, there are insane deals on wheelsets there.

This could definitely start an argument between the Mavic and Sun crowds. My vote for a durable XC (read light) wheelset is:

Cheap - xt hubs laced to Mavic 317 or 519 rims. The 317s will be lighter. The 519s can take more abuse.

Moderate - XTR hubs laced to Mavic 317 or 519 rims.

Expensive - Chris King hubs laced to Mavic 317 or 519 rims.

That said, I also have a set of Onyx hubs laced to Sun Rhyno-lites and, while heavy, they have withstood a massive amount of abuse and never gone out of true. I even ditched the bike mid air and landed, feet first from about 5 feet up, in the middle of my rear wheel spokes. I was expecting to rip a few spokes out or at LEAST knock the wheel out of true. Not even a slight indication of a wobble in the wheel.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing
    cheap and durable don't always go together in wheel-land.

for cheap, your best bet is check out nashbar or performance for pre-built wheelsets on sale. probably with shimano/mavic combo. one of these wheelsets won't do everything (ie: be cheap AND durable AND light) really well, but will work for a while and will be machine built so they should stay true longer.

for durable, i recommend WTB hubs. they aren't cheap or light, but they will last 5-10years depending on your abuse level. WTB rims are ok also, but you might consider sun or mavic higher end rims too. for spokes, i like wheelsmith double-butted but that's kind of a personal preference thing.

as for building your own wheels, its a great thing to do! until you do a few of them, they might not stay true as long as a machine or probuilt wheel but what the heck? you can say you built them yourself, and if you like it/get good at it you can build them for other people too.

this guy has a great website with everything you need to know to get started...
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet

"Cheap, light, strong...pick two" - Keith Bontrager
    Last edited by homerjay; 03-18-2004 at 01:39 PM.

Originally posted by el_jefe
    cheap and durable don't always go together in wheel-land.

this guy has a great website with everything you need to know to get started...
    yeah i said "not super expensive" i know better than to buy cheap. but thanks for the response. There are a few sites and Sheldon's is one that i have already checked out.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing
    yeah sheldon has some good basic info there. most people who really ride know not to go too cheap so i figured you had that covered.

a little more on the rim stuff - i've dented/broken sun, mavic and WTB rims of comparable weight/burlyness so everyone is pretty much equal there. if you want lightness and you're building your own wheels, then get a nice (moderately expensive) lightweight hub and choose a lighter rim and just replace the rim when it breaks.

kewl.
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet