Thread: MTB Advice

MTB Advice

I'm a MTB rookie (JONG?), but want to get into it in order to keep the fitness up. Not sure what I should be looking for in a ride. I don't think that I will be doing anything too crazy for a while, mainly riding around town, some trails, etc. Any suggestions?
    I went out there in search of experience. To taste, and to touch, and to feel as much as a man can, before he repents.

What do you want to spend?
    Full suspension, just front?

Any suggestions?
    How tall are you, Canuk? I've got a couple of frames and a bunch of parts in the garage, if you want something to get started with let me know. The only key part I'm missing is front forks, so could build something up for pretty cheap.

Otherwise, Sport Chek carries some Iron Horse bikes that are pretty good for <300 - HT.

Telephil - duh...probably should have included that info. I want to spend as little as possible, without buying crap.

Tap - thanks for the link...I will check it out.

PlayHarder - I'm 6'3. Do you have anything that might work? Let me know....PM me if you want, and we can discuss privately.

Thanks guys...
    I went out there in search of experience. To taste, and to touch, and to feel as much as a man can, before he repents.

Giant Ranier - great all around entry level hardtail. It runs about $700, but you could probably find an '03 model for a steep discount.

LX/XT componentry, AVID mechanical dics brakes (very nice). The Weinmann rims are crap, but you can replace those rather inexpensively if/when you break them.

I'd definitely go with a hardtail if you are not willing to spend a good amount of money. There are some cheaper full suspension bikes (Giant Warp comes to mind), but you will get WAY more for your money with a hardtail.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

I think the main question is how much you want to spend. It's hard to get a good, new full suspension bike for less than US$1,200 or so. Full suspension bikes for less than that tend to be REALLY heavy and filled with crappy components. I wouldn't recommend them.

If you want a hardtail, there are lots of good hardtails for under US$1,000. You can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers (Specialized, Trek/Gary Fisher/Klein, Giant, GT, etc.). They are all relatively equivalent. The main issue will be how well the bikes fit you, 'cause different brands have slightly different dimensions. Try out a bunch before you buy. Also, look for a good local dealer who'll spend time with you.

There's also the used bike route too. There are good deals out there, but none of the stuff will be warranteed which can be an issue for suspensions and forks. Those tend to be expensive to fix.

One more thing, MTBR is a great resource, but I find the discussion boards a little more helpful than the ratings. People there either LOVE their stuff or HATE it, so sometimes the ratings can be a bit skewed.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SLCFreshies; 03-17-2004 at 11:08 PM.

Smile 5 Helpful Mountain Biking Tips For Beginners

Get your bike set up correctly.
    Keep your body loose and springy.
    Remember the momentum is your friend.
    Shift early and shift often.
    Look where you want to go.
    Ride with the people who are better than you.
    Learn how to track stand.
    Take control of your bike.
    Last edited by RiderR; 12-06-2022 at 04:33 AM.

Look at the Jong that can't count, says "Five" tips and posts Eight.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

If Canuk hasn't managed to figure things out in 18 years, then I think he should probably just take up a different sport.

-get an emtb
    -get more travel than you think u need
    -dont grab the front brake in the corners
    - go have fun
    -send me ma $

Thats 5

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

OP asked about MTB advice to help with fitness, not moped advice to piss of non-motorized users.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    OP asked about MTB advice 18 years ago to help with fitness, not moped advice to piss of non-motorized users. And ebikes didn't even exist when this question was posted.
    FIFY.

Ah so its working as i planned.
    Pay up $$$

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    FIFY.
    Haha! D'oh.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.