Thread: Body Armor

Body Armor

What do you use?

Comfort?

Weight?

Price?

Recommendations?

Complaints?
    Last edited by CaddyDaddy77; 03-17-2004 at 11:27 AM.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Last edited by CaddyDaddy77; 03-17-2004 at 11:27 AM.

This is the set I'm getting... Backplate, mostly mesh, shoulder and elbow guards. Retails for about $190 I think. You can get it from broform or JensonUSA...
    Last edited by BakerBoy; 03-17-2004 at 11:56 AM.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I wear a Dainese Waistcoat and Short Protector Plus. I hardly even notice that I'm wearing them. The Waistcoat is a vest with a plate back protector and soft protection around the shoulder blades and ribs. Except for the padding they're a mesh material so it doesn't really add any warmth... which is a good thing in my opinion. I got them as a gift from my parents so I don't know what they cost.

I recommend one of the following

and one of these:

sorry i couldn't help you here, I dont wear body armor, just a flint SC and a mouthgard when im goijng big...

Even better....

"I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Don't forget one of these:
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Saw a lot of inferior armors at SIA and ispo this year. Cheap POS's that are held together with materials that look like they will rip and fall apart just through putting them on and taking them off. Found nothing I liked, but missed some ofthe top brands.

Re: Body Armor

Originally posted by CaddyDaddy77
    What do you use?

Dainese Multisport '02

Comfort?
    Very....not as comfortable as some of the other fleece/vest/jacket integrated things I've seen, but pretty damn good considering theirs plastic all over it.

Weight?
    negligible.....

Price?
    Dainese is expensivo....this jacket runs around $300 (I think), but I found mine on close out last yearfrom some UK online store (can't remember name)

Recommendations?
    I'd buy again. Stitching, workmanship, etc. are all top notch.

Complaints?
    Looks a little robo-cop-ish and it makes me feel like a linebacker...but I guess that can't be avoided. Other complaint is price....could have probably found a very close alternative for mush less $$$.

Thar she is:

Thumbs up

Skeletools shorts. Wear them every day I ski, and sometimes on day's I don't ski. Removable/trimmable pads. I never even notice they're on.

Skeletools looks pretty good, always did, but especially after seeing some of the thin knock-offs that showed up in Vegas. You should be wearin the spined top, phunk.
    So should I.

Re: Re: Body Armor

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    What do you use?

Dainese Multisport '02

Comfort?
    Very....not as comfortable as some of the other fleece/vest/jacket integrated things I've seen, but pretty damn good considering theirs plastic all over it.

Weight?
    negligible.....

Price?
    Dainese is expensivo....this jacket runs around $300 (I think), but I found mine on close out last yearfrom some UK online store (can't remember name)

Recommendations?
    I'd buy again. Stitching, workmanship, etc. are all top notch.

Complaints?
    Looks a little robo-cop-ish and it makes me feel like a linebacker...but I guess that can't be avoided. Other complaint is price....could have probably found a very close alternative for mush less $$$.

Thar she is:

And here I was thinkin you been hittin the gym. So very dissapointing.
    steezarific!!

All this time I just thought The Shoe was buff, too. I bet he wears that under his street clothes.

Originally posted by splat
    All this time I just thought The Shoe was buff, too. I bet he wears that under his street clothes.
    But how comical would it be to see what Walter Sobcha, Arty, Lego, or I would look like while wearing the armor....
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

<- Note the avatar
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Arty's Avitar made me laugh, Telenater's is freaking me out.

Originally posted by CaddyDaddy77
    Arty's Avitar made me laugh, Telenater's is freaking me out.
    Agreed

the best thing is you can use it skiing and biking, does armor actully do anything while skiing? I can see while biking where you can keep your chest/arms and shoulders from getting scraped up, but hucking cliffs to pow you don't run into that problem (or do you?)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

AK, the armor is not for hucking cliffs into powder, its for ragdolling through said powder, which can hide rocks and other nasties. Also for landing drops or airs into or onto something slightly less forgiving than powder. Oh yeah, and for fast tree skiing where you are bashing branches it can really come in handy. Better safe than sorry, which reminds me, I should really pony up from some of this stuff.

-Ben

hell yeah, armor does do it all!!!
    as the master already said, it will help you avoid injuries when hitting something you didn't expect to hit.
    some years ago a friend of mine hit a rock beneath the powder surface and took a forward roll onto the next stone.
    he busted his shoulder and finished the season right there.
    for my part, i think these protective shirts (as seen above, btw dainese rocks!!!) are a bit too much, considering you will be wearing underwear a transceiver and a pack, but at least a back protector should be helpful.
    beause the shoulder will be well at some point, but once your spine is damaged, that skiing career will be over.
    so go ahead and put something similar on the list for next x-mas and don't forget the helmet;-)

Any of the ECers using body armor? I ponied up for a full face which is great, especially at jay...and after being clotheslined by a really thick branch right across the chest(that literally knocked me right out of my skis) those protectors dont sound like a bad idea.

Originally posted by funkstar
    hell yeah, armor does do it all!!!
    as the master already said, it will help you avoid injuries when hitting something you didn't expect to hit.
    some years ago a friend of mine hit a rock beneath the powder surface and took a forward roll onto the next stone.
    he busted his shoulder and finished the season right there.
    for my part, i think these protective shirts (as seen above, btw dainese rocks!!!) are a bit too much, considering you will be wearing underwear a transceiver and a pack, but at least a back protector should be helpful.
    beause the shoulder will be well at some point, but once your spine is damaged, that skiing career will be over.
    so go ahead and put something similar on the list for next x-mas and don't forget the helmet;-)
    You'd prefer to take a chest shot in your transceiver? What if your pack slides? I don't keep mine super tight so I can ditch it if I have too. I haven't been wearing a pack at IFSA events, so the back plate is key!
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I'm still in the "I get beaten by branches because I'm manly" stage. I'll probably do this for another year, as when I have things armored, I just bash with em, and thus technique suffers. Only got a few nasty bruises this year, so no need quite yet for it.

Originally posted by phUnk
    Skeletools shorts. Wear them every day I ski, and sometimes on day's I don't ski. Removable/trimmable pads. I never even notice they're on.
    Does it make your ass look big? If so, might have to upgrade to size large pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal King
    "Is there any piece of clothing on earth uglier than a baseball cap?"
    Grant Gunderson is fucking gay

i got some sweet shin / knee guards at play it again sports for liek ten bucks. bought them after beating the hell out of my shin on a tree.

knee guards? hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha
    "Is there any piece of clothing on earth uglier than a baseball cap?"
    Grant Gunderson is fucking gay