Thread: Off the couch?

Off the couch?

So, how long of a ride do you think I can do "off the couch?"

Okay, I haven't exactly been sitting on the couch, but have been busy skiing, and it looks to stay that way through June 17th. I have 7-10 days I can road ride (weather permitting), a few days I can spin, and then I want to do a long organized ride on July 7 - I'm thinking 200 miles on road . . . am I crazy?

Discuss.

yes you're crazy. but its a good crazy

Kellie - You should talk to G. She is doing the exact same thing, except she has no real biking experience to speak of. I am trying hard to convince her that her mt bike is not what she wants to be on for the "race" (they are not racing per say). If I was ever in town for summers I wouldn't have sold my roadie and would do this race every year, plus the Kincaid 24 solo and the Soggy 100 (you should do this race!).

Mostly - make sure your bike fits well, get as much saddle time in as you can between now and then or your bum will be sore. You have the base athleticism to do this "off the couch" without to much problem - just eat and hydrate well before, during, and after.

Oh - I want to ride Lost Lake again with you - this time both ways. Maybe I'll take a squishy bike this time and see how fast we can go! Alright I'm off for a ride of my own, in Nome.

Well, getting confirmation of craziness is nice! Maybe I'll have to do it!

W, tell G (ooh, listen to me talk in code!) that I have an extra roadie if she wants to borrow it from now through the race/ride. It's a 54cm aluminum tri bike with carbon fork . . . I can drop in off in Anchortown on Tues.

My bike fits pretty well - I figure I can get in a few rides on it when I'm in town, but it'll be fairly off the couch. I figure the worst is that I don't make it . . . no big loss, really!

Count me in for a Lost Lake repeat . . . I love that trail!!! The hardest part of that ride will be getting us both in town!

mntlion's suggestion is a good one. And while I don't want to be a wet blanket, I think the double century is a bit, shall we say, optimistic.

Ride well.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    I'm thinking 200 miles on road . . . am I crazy?

Discuss.
    Yes. Crazy. I think the 50 mile ride (2.5 hours) would be a much better and realistic goal. 200 miles = (optimistically) 10-11 hours in the saddle.

The problem is not only getting in the miles you need, but getting the proper RECOVERY time in between now and then.

L
    This is the worst pain EVER!

yeah, you can do it. You won't be fast, leg burn will set in quicker than normal. but i think you can crank out the miles.

and like you said, you aren't really going from 'the couch' you have been skinning and hiking, you are in good shape, you know how to road ride and you know how to pace yourself.

Of course this is assuming it is a flatish ride.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post

Of course this is assuming it is a flatish ride.

Divide by 2 and you have the 200, the 400 does a round trip. Hardly any hills right...
    At least it end with a nice long downhill from Thompson Pass to Valdez!
    Kellie if you are riding it then it won't be so bad, if you are racing you will hurt plenty by the end of it.

I may actually be in town during this race, if so I will run support for the peloton lovely ladies I know in this event!

You should do this mt bike race on Sep 1. 100 miles of singletrack...

Plus it begins and end at the Sea View Bar

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Good luck with that. Even if your legs can take it I'd say it's highly doubtful your ass, back, shoulders or neck will. It's a lot of time in a saddle. 100 miles should be doable. Either is a matter of eating right and well.

I've done that sort of ride and one thing that would have helped is getting used to eating the way you need for that ride. My body just wasn't prepared to take it in and use it well. Regardless the last 80 km I spent thinking of how my ass hurt even though my legs were out of gas. That just meant going slower which of course did nothing for the ass situation.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Hmm, I'll have to give this some more thought - maybe I'll do it as a 2-person relay . . . I can definitely handle 100.

It's 200 miles and roughly 7000' of climbing . . . I actually think hills make things easier though cuz it mixes things up - the hardest ride I've done was all flat. My brain sees no point in being tired if there are no hills and therefore revolts. It's a decidedly stubborn little thing!

Stay tuned . . . got other big things to think about now, so I may have to hold off on this decision!!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Does that stuff really work?

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    I don't have any science to back it up, but I think it helps.

Kellie - My concern, as noted above, is more about the time you'll spend on the saddle than your overall physical conditioning.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Well, I think you could do it virtually off the couch. The ass will be a big challenge. General fitness (when it is on the level you are), will take you a long way. That said, if something, like a knee, started to hurt then you should stop. Chances are it wont, but if bike fit was a little off, and you dont have the base miles, you could get injured.

July 7th is a long way off.....if you can get various 50 milers in, then you can totally do it (but that doesnt count as off the couch).

Start sitting on a bike seat at your desk.
    Last edited by Huckwheat; 05-28-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    Donjoy to the World!

I think Sportslegs really does work. Not hijacking the thread here... but I notice the difference every time I remember to take them.
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Start sitting on a bike seat at your desk.
    Maybe the best advice here, but you'll never know if you don't try, but it does sound crazy... the ass, the shoulders, and the neck...ouch.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Kellie....here are some good training tips from our old friend, the Auburn Century

http://www.auburncentury.com/training.html

7 grand.

Yes.

You can do that.

Like huckles said, I'd be more worried about the lack of ass calouses than anything. Couch puts them in a different spot. But then again something tells me your 'couch' is filled with several 4 grand skin tracks in a day.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

both skibee and I tried some from a free trade show pack skiing a few years ago. both went into it with Ya, right, won't doa damn thing. Then 30 minutes later both our legs felt a bit better (this was ski day 3, and 3 hours into the day)

try a small sample pack and see if it works for you too?