Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I don't know what to think about this article. I don't know much about my own generation. I don't even know if I'm considered part of Gen-X or Gen-Y. I've heard people call me both. Which generation do I belong to if I'm thirty? I'm not twenty-something. But I certainly don't FEEL thirty-something. The majority of my coworkers are work-aholics and certainly don't fit into this generalization of the article. Then again, most of them are the same age as me or a bit older. It's an interesting article for sure, but I haven't seen evidence of it myself to be honest
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That's nice if you have resources and a safety net for that attitude. It's flippant if you are unemployed when competition for work is fierce. In Oregon circa 1983 unemployment was approaching 20% statewide and people were dieing to be "exploited". The governors address 1983: "And we were tested in the midst of a recession so deep that --- to all but a few --- these are the hardest times in memory"

Why do you think you can't pump you own gas in Oregon? It's a remnant of the 1983 recession when the loss of those jobs would have hurt the economy.
    It's not flippant and has nothing to do with any safety nets. If you think of yourself as a hired gun, you get that power but like spiderman, you also have more responsibility. You have the responsibility to track where the economy is going, where your industry is going, what skills are in demand now and what are going to be in demand in 5 years. It is your responsibility to develop your career to make sure that when the economy tanks, you are still in a position of power.
    Take me for example. I am a software engineer with little experience in the "hot" programming buzz words (all those random web programming buzzwords like Ajax, sox, etc). The outsourcing people get educated at the equivalent of ITT or Univ of Phoenix. They are good programmers working in those buzzwords. I recognized this and carved a niche for myself (embedded programming, digital audio/computer music). I have worked with the best and am among the best in this specific area and that area is not big enough for the outsourcers but has a decent demand so I will always be in demand.
    But even with that I still research and recognize the future trends. Which is why there is a good chance I will be getting a Professional Science Masters in Bioscience (and probably going 50k in debt to do that). That is because I have read the government studies that show that 3 million new biotech jobs will be created in the next decade and that this century will be driven by biotech development like the 20th century was driven by physical sciences based development. I will be in demand because I manage myself correctly.
    Last edited by LegoSkier; 05-18-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I had a really interesting conversation with my recruiter recently. We were discussing my recent firing, and I was griping that one of their major points in firing me was that I didn't come in at 9:00:00 am. Instead I was coming in at 9:05:34, and I guess that doesn't count. Especially considering the fact there was no need for me to sit at my desk at that exact minute, and I almost always stayed later.
    I guess I just don't understand why people don't take a personal level of pride in showing up on time. I know that stuff happens and people can't always be there, but (especially in my industry) your work depends upon making appointments. Why should a generation of 20 year olds not be in at 9:00 because they want to oversleep their alarms.

I haven't had a job in the last 4 years that I wasn't expected to show up on time, and for me I consider waking up at 6:30 am a benefit over my last job's 4:30 in the morning call.

Flex time to me has always been showing up at 10 or noon and working till 7 or 9. I have had jobs where I was expected to be at work at a specific time and if I wasn't there, than I didn't work. Part of the sense of entitlement that I see comes from being spoiled rotten.

It is impossible to work white collar your entire life and even remotely understand what it is like to be a laborer or a hand or anything blue collar.

I have always been disappointed in the "anything goes" direction of alot of the hippster/new age 20 year olds that I have met. I guess that will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That's nice if you have resources and a safety net for that attitude. It's flippant if you are unemployed when competition for work is fierce. In Oregon circa 1983 unemployment was approaching 20% statewide and people were dieing to be "exploited". The governors address 1983: "And we were tested in the midst of a recession so deep that --- to all but a few --- these are the hardest times in memory"

Why do you think you can't pump you own gas in Oregon? It's a remnant of the 1983 recession when the loss of those jobs would have hurt the economy.
    I've created additional resources and a safety net. I work 60+ hour weeks on my own accord to do so. I also make more money now from other income than from working, but I continue to showup everyday because I don't want to be dependent on begging for a job. I think this is based in my determination and will continue to lead to success. In Oregon in '83, there were people who were begging to be hired and there were those who were being begged. I'd rather be asked for a job then asking.
    That being said, I have nothing but respect for the people who have been so important in getting me here and it started with my parents who work their butts off (dad's a steelworker and mom is a PT), teachers along the way, and people who I work along side. I do my best to make sure that the next generation has it even better by giving to charity, paying my taxes, being active in my community and thanking my folks everyday.
    Last edited by gonehuckin; 05-18-2007 at 12:42 PM.