Page 494 of 729 FirstFirst ... 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 ... LastLast
Results 12,326 to 12,350 of 18222
    The Russell 2000 is unchanged since September 2017

The Dow Industrial Average is up 3% since January 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The Russell 2000 is unchanged since September 2017

The Dow Industrial Average is up 3% since January 2018.
    Sp500 is up 30%+ since Sept 2017 and up 25% since Jan 2018
    Naz is up 70% since Sept 2017 and up 51% since Jan 2018

Stay safe...stay diversified my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Sp500 is up 30%+ since Sept 2017 and up 25% since Jan 2018
    Naz is up 70% since Sept 2017 and up 51% since Jan 2018

Stay safe...stay diversified my friend!
    That's the opposite of diversity. Concentration of gains in a few sectors risks mean reversion and underperformance.

It is diversifying. Spread your money to different sectors.

40% sp500
    10% madcap
    10% russell 2000
    10% foreign
    20% tech (naz)
    10 % europe

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    It is diversifying. Spread your money to different sectors.

40% sp500
    10% madcap
    10% russell 2000
    10% foreign
    20% tech (naz)
    10 % europe
    FAANGM is 20% of the sp500 and bigger percentage of the nasdaq.
    Last edited by mcsquared; 09-23-2020 at 08:34 AM.

sp500 down YTD. Going to get interesting.

You don’t actually lose the money until you sell. That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Buy the rumor, sell the hype!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Just as the EV bubble "majors" deflate EV and alt power nano caps are rocketing.

SPI, PECK/SUNW arb, JE, OEG etc. No options tradeable on those

Edit. I covered NKLA too soon
    Edit2 I couldn't resist. Started NKLA short again 19.20. IB has borrows. Rate dropped to reasonable from 60%

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    You don’t actually lose the money until you sell. That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.
    Every day you don't sell you are essentially buying at that price. If you found some money would you buy those same stocks?

I am not in Leelau's league but I have puts on GLD, QQQ, and calls on UUP. All are in the money right now after this sell into the close.

What a surprise. The Alt Energy pennystock scams are all simultaneously imploding

Anyone notice ACB also imploded. Black market cannabis wins

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Every day you don't sell you are essentially buying at that price. If you found some money would you buy those same stocks?

I am not in Leelau's league but I have puts on GLD, QQQ, and calls on UUP. All are in the money right now after this sell into the close.
    well, that isn't going very well.

Playing the upcoming US Civil War with LMT calls and ootm SPY puts expiring post election. Although history does show wars provide economic stimulus.

no matter. cbmc huh.
    plenty of pasty white fucks all lost and shit today.
    plenty..

Feds charge Seattle-area Amazon employee with insider trading

Laksha Bohra, a former manager in Amazon’s Tax Division; her husband, Viky Bohra; and father-in-law Gotham Bohra, have agreed to pay back the stock gains, as well as another $1.2 million in penalties and interest. The U.S. attorney simultaneously filed criminal charges against Viky Bohra.

While vacationing in Europe in April 2018, for instance, Laksha Bohra logged in remotely to Amazon’s network to view the company’s preliminary first-quarter earnings statements. The same day, betting Amazon shares would rise after the company announced its earnings, Viky and Gotham Bohra purchased options to buy Amazon shares at a specified price, the complaint alleged. The shares did rise after the earnings report — by 3.6% in one day, netting the Bohras nearly $600,000 in profit on the stock trades.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...sider-trading/

My TD Ameritrade account was approved for a margin account. Still reading about the concept, (like I said earlier I’m new to this stuff.) seems kind of a no brainer to use their money to make money? (Minus interest and what not.)

Iffin I’m reading right I don’t want to be in super risky stuff with the borrowed shares? I have 11k in, not sure yet how much I’ll be able to use on the margin. I’m assuming I don’t want to use it all and leave some in the account?

My account was approved today but the totals are kinda wonky, my buying power show differing things between the laptop and app. My costs/share all halved and my gains all went to positive, except one I was far down on?

Switch to IB if you're going to trade on margin. Tough to make money paying 9% interest

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=44427

Bob, are you doing this with play money? (Which is kind of the spirit of a lot of this thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    My TD Ameritrade account was approved for a margin account. Still reading about the concept, (like I said earlier I’m new to this stuff.) seems kind of a no brainer to use their money to make money? (Minus interest and what not.)

Iffin I’m reading right I don’t want to be in super risky stuff with the borrowed shares? I have 11k in, not sure yet how much I’ll be able to use on the margin. I’m assuming I don’t want to use it all and leave some in the account?

My account was approved today but the totals are kinda wonky, my buying power show differing things between the laptop and app. My costs/share all halved and my gains all went to positive, except one I was far down on?
    Bro. Just.... No.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do not do it.

Have you ever been at the card table and thought, “I have a great idea, instead of using my money, I’m going to use Vinny the loan sharks money.”? No? Because that is almost exactly what you are doing. Sure if you win you win more, but if you lose you lose more.

seems kind of a no brainer to use their money to make money? (Minus interest and what not.)
    Yeah what could possibly go wrong.

Margin is ok if want to short term trade with some leverage to maintain long term positions for tax reasons, short against a long term holding etc. you just have to have a risk plan and stick to it.

Two words: “margin call”

They will liquidate you before you go debit. So there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Switch to IB if you're going to trade on margin. Tough to make money paying 9% interest

Yeah, that definitely looks better.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=44427
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bob, are you doing this with play money? (Which is kind of the spirit of a lot of this thread.)
    Isn’t it all play money? In essence yes, I started with cash my wife let me use. For the last cramped up corona time I’ve been taking all the cash I’d usually spend on fishing/guns/ammo and pilfering it into my account.

Hoping to pay for a cruise next year and keep my original cash. I’ve still got my 100 shares of Carnival and get $100 on board credit for having them, which was the original impetus into this foray. Saw shares trading for $12 that were $50 in January. Carnival has been diluted a lot by debt, but trust me people are dying (heh) to cruise and they’ll be back. The CDC put on the no sail order last april for 100 days, 8 days before it expired they extended it to September 30th. It expires Wednesday, no word on an extension. The cruise industry submitted new guidelines a few weeks ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if the order is allowed to expire.

I personally wouldn’t get on a ship right now and I’m happy my sailing is deep into next year. But, like I’ve said in the past I read cruise message boards and groups, and there are plenty of people itching to fill staterooms.

It’s pretty funny I’m the person Benny was complaining about upthread. It is like gambling, and just like gambling there are ways to increase your odds of success.