Page 640 of 729 FirstFirst ... 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 ... LastLast
Results 15,976 to 16,000 of 18218
    After spending a summer goofing off between Monterey and Santa Cruz like a goof off, I will never forget riding my bike to yoga and watching the workers bent over handpicking my strawberries (and yours). Every single strawberry judged and plucked by hand. Now here I am 10,000 feet eating 2 lbs of strawberries for $4. Gorging on strawberries basically for free.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    After spending a summer goofing off between Monterey and Santa Cruz like a goof off, I will never forget riding my bike to yoga and watching the workers bent over handpicking my strawberries (and yours). Every single strawberry judged and plucked by hand. Now here I am 10,000 feet eating 2 lbs of strawberries for $4. Gorging on strawberries basically for free.
    It's basically a modern Grapes of Wrath, but using immigrants from Mexico/Central America instead of Okies.

yup

So personally, I think it's fine if they put their kids in school and those kids can go to US college and get a green card and all that. What is that, dreamers? I think everything we can do to promote good relations with the Mexican people is in all our favor.

Sorry, this is politics right? Sorry.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Most Americans are sadly ignorant of just how much their lives have been improved by immigrants. The scientific / medical / technological discoveries and advances. The businesses (large and national as well as small and local.) The caretakers. The food that ends up on your table. The cultural / food / musical influence. Immigrants are the best people in this country and let us cheat on the demographic decline plaguing the rest of the west.
    I think the fact that so many talented immigrants want to move to America is one of it’s biggest competitive advantages; much more so than the dollar being the ‘reserve currency’. We should be taking advantage of that much more than we do.

I think everything we can do to promote good relations with the Mexican people is in all our favor.
    Especially since we are largely responsible for destroying their country. First by the War on Drugs creating a hugely lucrative black market which led to the rise of the cartels, which now operate with impunity in what is essentially a Narco state, corrupt from the very bottom to the very top and ripped apart by violence that affects all aspects of life for Mexicans now. And second by manufacturing most the guns and other weapons that the cartels need, and not taking responsibility for stopping the smuggling of guns across the border. I'd like to see the gun manufacturers held accountable since they know where their guns end up, but yeah that'll never happen in 'Merica.

Yeah, um, I was just thinking it would be good to have free trade and open borders and a laissez faire approach, not a wall. And promote manufacturing in Mexico and all that good stuff. Mexico used to have the biggest middle class in Latin America, maybe that's not true anymore...
    Henry David Thoreau

I spent several years working with an extended group of family/friends from Ecuador in a restaurant setting. At least a third of them had to leave during the pandemic because they were all here on overstayed visas and could not financially ride out lockdowns.

They all worked 2, 3+ jobs, the men all working blue color jobs during the day and then were food runners/porters at night supporting large, extended families back home that they hadn't seen in years. I know this isn't new information but I try to say it every time the topic of immigrants is brought up. These people had great values, worked harder and faster than anyone I've ever met, and our government was actively trying to remove them from the country. Unbelievable. The locals that have replace this workforce in restaurants are not an improvement, I would imagine it is similar in the manual labor jobs they worked as well. We did ourselves no favor by not supporting our brothers from the south.

Layoff tracker getting busier but nothing big yet

https://layoffs.fyi/

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I watch that Canada immigration show when I’m drinking, and between that and the UK one where they card immigrants on the street, I’ve decided we are way lenient.
    You’re a fucking piece of shit brown shirt for thinking that anyone walking down the street that isn’t white enough for your liking needs to be stopped and asked for their papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    You’re a fucking piece of shit brown shirt for thinking that anyone walking down the street that isn’t white enough for your liking needs to be stopped and asked for their papers.
    Umm. Tell that to the UK immigration police. I only watch the show.

Reading is hard for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

yup

So personally, I think it's fine if they put their kids in school and those kids can go to US college and get a green card and all that. What is that, dreamers? I think everything we can do to promote good relations with the Mexican people is in all our favor.

Sorry, this is politics right? Sorry.
    It is, and this is too, but you'll appreciate it (hard to believe the change in a few decades):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmgPp_nlok

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Layoff tracker getting busier but nothing big yet

https://layoffs.fyi/
    Let me know when companies start saying "All our employees who moved to Montana to work remotely are now laid off."

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Let me know when companies start saying "All our employees who moved to Montana to work remotely are now laid off."
    Not gonna happen. As someone hiring for remote, I got 650 resumes in 3 days. Talented people can live where they want. I think the bigger tangle is people wanting to live internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Not gonna happen. As someone hiring for remote, I got 650 resumes in 3 days. Talented people can live where they want. I think the bigger tangle is people wanting to live internationally.
    They want to play and pretend they're working. Don't fall for that shit.

Get over it.

I moved From MD to CA over a decade ago. My employer knew I was moving regardless, so they brought up the offer for me to work remote themselves. Still working for the same company, and they’re still happy with the work I’m doing.

As opposed to drive an hour each way to sit in the office and pretend to be working?

Gasoline futures are down 5% tonight. June delivery. Demand not there with refineries geared up for driving season. If oil breaks gasoline prices can fall quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Gasoline futures are down 5% tonight. June delivery. Demand not there with refineries geared up for driving season. If oil breaks gasoline prices can fall quite a bit.
    Sold a June 10 $97 XOM call for $107 first thing this morning, set it to buy back at $95 for my free lunch. Ballooned immediately, went up to $187 at one point. Hoping I get my free lunch tomorrow…

If it moons I’ll be fine with a $98.06 out. I may move some of it into BTI or MO, strong yields with a different exposure than energy or REITs. The world is addicted to energy and tobacco, don’t see that changing for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It is, and this is too, but you'll appreciate it (hard to believe the change in a few decades):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmgPp_nlok
    Oh so nostalgic, thank you for that.

Clearly I am naive, but I've been blindsided by the change. Disheartening.
    Last edited by shera; 05-23-2022 at 11:57 PM.
    Henry David Thoreau

Some remote workers will end up getting canned but most won't so the trend will remain.

I'm sure you'll be excited to hear that Montana is trying to lure me back. I received a pretty slick brochure in the mail a few weeks ago extolling the virtues of living in Montana juxtaposed with remote working. They must have got my address from msu. Honestly I was a bit surprised as it seems they're getting plenty of new arrivals in already.

lets see who can we blame
    remote workers assholes pricks with big paychecks who like to recreate and buy shit
    retirees boomer dooshbags who pulled themselves up by the bootstraps to make millions and retire and tell everyone how to live in a mtn town or anywhere for that fact
    short term rentals they gobble up all the affordable housing and rent it to gapers and make tons of money
    investors who care nothing about the mountain town they invest in other than making money off it
    trust funders who pretend to be cool and down to earth normal

Make Mountain Towns Great Again kick everyone out and you have to prove your dirt bag worthiness once you fill out all the paper work have multiple interviews with old timers and are accepted you will be given affordable housing and the keys to the kingdom to be the badass you think you are all others will be admited for short five day stay to live the life then you have to leave thats all you get man

No they aren't?
    I work in a F100 and >90% of our technical staff primarily works remote now. Work still gets done and they're a lot happier not having open office bullshit to deal with so they can focus on code or time shift for folks in Europe or apac.

If that's your take on remote work - just retire already as you're a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Some remote workers will end up getting canned but most won't so the trend will remain.

I'm sure you'll be excited to hear that Montana is trying to lure me back. I received a pretty slick brochure in the mail a few weeks ago extolling the virtues of living in Montana juxtaposed with remote working. They must have got my address from msu. Honestly I was a bit surprised as it seems they're getting plenty of new arrivals in already.
    That's the governor's Come Home to Montana initiative (or something like that). Launched a couple years ago before shit hit the fan. He is getting a ton of heat about it now due to lack of affordable housing, and the fact that he stupidly vetoed a BIPARTISAN housing bill in the last legislative session. Aside from newspaper articles about how inappropriate the push is right now, Habitat for Humanity has been taking out full page ads in the paper decrying the fact that he is still trying to bring people back and attract new ones to "grow the economy" when in fact that is the opposite of what we need now. So he is two years behind and apparently not aware of what's going on. Of course he's a tech bro at heart, New Jersey billionnaire and all that, so he may be happy with working class people being forced out of the state. Oh and did you know birds have only existed for six thousand years? According to our brilliant gov.

In 2020 a teacher firefighter etc. could buy a house in Helena for a payment of about 30 percent of their income, which is considered affordable. No longer, prices are up 60 percent since then. So he needs to put the brakes on his pet program and get with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    No they aren't?
    I work in a F100 and >90% of our technical staff primarily works remote now. Work still gets done and they're a lot happier not having open office bullshit to deal with so they can focus on code or time shift for folks in Europe or apac.

If that's your take on remote work - just retire already as you're a dinosaur.
    I'm just kidding dork.

New home sales collapse. 9 month supply.