Page 439 of 729 FirstFirst ... 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,975 of 18222
    In my opinion awakening from secular stagnation will determine how this plays out. The good thing about (evil) wars is they tend to spur innovation. For example, The pandemic is liberating firms to experiment with radical new ideas.

If the economist is paywalled there's fixing, just as an example, ossified systems as a way forward, People are dying from coronavirus because we’re not fast enough at clinical research:

"What would the system look like if we fixed it? It would make it easier to study drugs for heart disease, where studies are so large and expensive that many companies don’t test their medicines. It would ease studies for rare cancers, which are currently problematic because the right patients are hard to find. And it could create a medical information superhighway that would power health care through the next century."

Rich folks with large amounts of US dollar denominated fiat currency don't want to see it devalued. Or if they have concerns their fiat currency is going to lose value through hyper-inflation, they will start dumping it into things that generally hold value.

Who knows if cash really will be king in a year from now. I don't see BTC as the answer. Or any other cyrpto currency.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Sold half my July QM flat. Covered half USO sold from earlier the week. Will look back at it when USO is slated to rotate its future contracts on May 5 to 7th.

There's been a bounce in dumpster oil companies WLL (ch 11), OAS and CHK. All have borrows

Edit CHK borrows now gone. And high rate to borrow!
    CHK has underperformed as predicted. Out of USO and July QMs with a nice little take.

Total, cvx, xom, bp, rdsb have great dividends, and are reasonably low on price.
    With the exception of xom, dividend is safe.

Buy half of what you'd like to own, then sell puts out of money. You either get a nice return if the stock goes up or you buy it at a really good price if it goes down.

The return is calculated on the cash you have to hold, which is highly the strike price of the put times the quantity.

Sold puts today, average return is over 10 percent. And i still have a chance to buy it at a lower price.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Unless Woods steps down (or is ousted) xom's dividend is likely safe (for this year at least)

It’s not like XOM needs the money for capital investment. They can easily cut costs.

Jinkies! MTN is up about 11%!? WTH!? Okay, they sort of stepped up to the plate on 20/21 season passes but that's no reason for stock jump like that.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Bizarre.

This is bubble mentality. Total denial. Beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Jinkies! MTN is up about 11%!? WTH!? Okay, they sort of stepped up to the plate on 20/21 season passes but that's no reason for stock jump like that.
    MTN up CCL up. Some inexplicable moves for companies that have poor outlooks

I am restricted from commenting. Really, I am
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Carnival is taking advantage of oil producers paying them to fuel their fleet, so I get that

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Stonks only go up
    Unless I buy them

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This is bubble mentality. Total denial. Beware.
    If the February Highs were rooted in unbridled optimism, this recovery is the definition of wishing and hoping. This is extremely weird.
    Looks like another big day up. I think anyone should be using this opportunity to sell into these rallies. Completely detached from reality.

But, nobody will sell now. This is a gift from heaven for all those that were losing sleep a few weeks ago. Of course, they'll wait until it goes even higher! And sell at the bottom of the next drop.

There was a bumper sticker in Texas back in the oil crash of the early eighties. " Please Lord, just give me one more boom." But, of course, most just borrowed into bigger houses and multiple pickup trucks when that happened, instead of being smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    But, nobody will sell now. This is a gift from heaven for all those that were losing sleep a few weeks ago. Of course, they'll wait until it goes even higher! And sell at the bottom of the next drop.

There was a bumper sticker in Texas back in the oil crash of the early eighties. " Please Lord, just give me one more boom." But, of course, most just borrowed into bigger houses and multiple pickup trucks when that happened, instead of being smart.
    second. how people, cities and states just kept on piling on debt after 2008 still perplexes me and it's going to make this period much worse for it.

in the meantime, new all time highs with 20% unemployment coming soon; thanks Jerome Powell !
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Jerome Powell? Nah. Trump knows a thing or four about bankruptcies. This might be the biggest one yet. A gift for all future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    in the meantime, new all time highs with 20% unemployment coming soon; thanks Jerome Powell !
    If this whole thing doesn't go to shit, and I'm in the camp that far more suffering is coming, it will be because Powell and his cohorts expanded the Fed's role and pulled out miracles. He's quietly leading the Fed into unchartered territory (e.g., the WSJ reported that the Fed previously was buying $85 billion in mortgage securities per month but is now doing $80 billion per day) -- I can't say I'm a fan of that or showering him in praise (more accurately, I'm agnostic), but I definitely wouldn't place the blame for runaway unemployment at his feet. Meanwhile, our disinfectant-peddling moron-in-chief is teaching the leadership course on how not to lead during a crisis.

Makes zero sense. Completely discordant with airline capacity projections (no return to normal till 21), an older client base that will be more risk-averse returning to normal travel, and the fact that ski resorts are some of the best mediums for COVID transmit-ability.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newy...the-nation/amp

Not to mention supply side headwinds of increasing chance of poor winters and seasonal workers typically being housed in barracks that preclude social distancing. Another good irrationality measure is EWZ - Brazilian ETF. Up over 10% last days and flat over month even though they are poorly addressing the virus and are seeing death rates rise. Tack on a political crisis with corruption involving the President’s sons and resignation of the most popular minister over said corruption, there is no thesis that should send capital their way.

Quote Originally Posted by the propagandist formerly monikered brostoyevski View Post
    "Through no fault of their own"
    “A rising toilet bowl will lift all turds”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

To the Moon & Beyond. Crazy GDP contraction, massive unemployment true structural damage to workforce. Let get to rallying more.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    true structural damage to workforce.
    Allows companies to easily restructure staffing and cut costs. When the economy is doing well workforce reduction is a bad sign. GOOGL has a hiring freeze for example. They would have never done that in a competitive workforce environment. Layoffs en masse will happen later this year or next.

"Google is slashing its marketing budget by as much as half for the second half of 2020. It also has implemented a hiring freeze in certain areas of the company"

What makes the market move lower at this point? Tapered Fed intervention? Resurgent numbers of infected?

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    To the Moon & Beyond. Crazy GDP contraction, massive unemployment true structural damage to workforce. Let get to rallying more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	money-brrrr.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	326835

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What makes the market move lower at this point? Tapered Fed intervention? Resurgent numbers of infected?
    when things start opening up and people find no jobs and the us economy is 25-50% of what it was it'll rollover, so many are still expecting a V recovery
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !