Page 406 of 729 FirstFirst ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,150 of 18222
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    In 2009-2010 300 banks went bankrupt. It was almost a daily event. I have to think retail and restaurants will have the same fate. When the dominoes start falling it will happen fast. They were already weak from getting Amazon'd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...3present)#2008
    Four Seasons near me closed, laid off 300 people. No date to return.

Some incredibly bad things happening.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty much every restaurant and hotel in town is closed (big tourist town). Those guys are toast if this goes 2 months. We are going to see a bunch of Bk's and deaths from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

i would imagine all tourism/travel related industries are toast for the rest of the year, entertainment (sports, shows, concerts), amusement parks, and movie theatre's. who's going to want to travel internationally anywhere this year, much less to the USA aka the global epicentre, or be in any kind of crowded space. hell, would nations even let their citizens travel to the US this summer? i would think at a minimum they would probably require a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return, who's going to sign up for that? even restaurants and bars are going to take a huge prolonged hit. i probably do all of those things more than the average person, and on average spend 20+ days a year in the states as a tourist.. i've mentally written off the entire year as far as travel/entertainment.

but who knows, this post may age very poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    i would imagine all tourism/travel related industries are toast for the rest of the year, entertainment (sports, shows, concerts), amusement parks, and movie theatre's. who's going to want to travel internationally anywhere this year, much less to the USA aka the global epicentre, or be in any kind of crowded space. hell, would nations even let their citizens travel to the US this summer? i would think at a minimum they would probably require a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return,
    And they should probably be subject to a 14-day quarantine upon *entering* - so no sightseeing for 14-days, then a 14-day quarantine when returning to the home country. I'd wager NOBODY is going to sign up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pretty much every restaurant and hotel in town is closed (big tourist town). Those guys are toast if this goes 2 months. We are going to see a bunch of Bk's and deaths from this.
    NYT "Restaurant analysts and operators have been quoting an estimate that 75 percent of the independent restaurants that have been closed to protect Americans from the coronavirus won’t make it."

That would just leave Blimpie's Subs in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Oh yeah, good chance we're heading to all time high small biz BK filings. Some small biz LLCs and corps w/o principal personal guaranties will forego BK and just close their doors, but that opportunity will occur less than in the past because after 2008, nearly all creditors, suppliers and landlords have been routinely requiring personal guaranties. Many brick & mortar retail landlords will go down. Urban and small town landscapes will change. Amazon will increase market share. My semi-retirement plan was to avoid court appearances, but I got a feeling my future will include plenty o' appearances in BK court the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And they should probably be subject to a 14-day quarantine upon *entering* - so no sightseeing for 14-days, then a 14-day quarantine when returning to the home country. I'd wager NOBODY is going to sign up for that.
    i just assumed trump would be dumb enough to not make that a requirement

i would imagine all tourism/travel related industries are toast for the rest of the year, entertainment (sports, shows, concerts), amusement parks, and movie theatre's. who's going to want to travel internationally anywhere this year, much less to the USA aka the global epicentre, or be in any kind of crowded space. hell, would nations even let their citizens travel to the US this summer? i would think at a minimum they would probably require a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return, who's going to sign up for that? even restaurants and bars are going to take a huge prolonged hit. i probably do all of those things more than the average person, and on average spend 20+ days a year in the states as a tourist.. i've mentally written off the entire year as far as travel/entertainment.

but who knows, this post may age very poorly.
    You're probably right because of the timing. My kids are out of school until a minimum of 5/15. I am not planning on a "summer vacation" just yet, because I have no idea if A) they will have to go back to school for some extended time into mid-june and B) Despite my job needing to travel, I am not exposing my family.
    We have already shelved two ski trips. I had a friend say that demand is gone and not able to come back because it's like a haircut. If i have to skip this month, I won't get two haircuts next month. The barber has lost that revenue forever.
    Now it's not quite that inelastic, but even if I go to SLC in july, I am not going to spend nearly the money to fish or hike as I would have skiing. So my dollars are gone.
    I suspect people may spend their money closer to home but would you wan't to rent an airbnb in a month or two?

I posted a few days ago about a symptomatic physician in my wife's group being tested last Saturday. Today is day seven and still no result. A physician, who could be seeing patients, cannot get a test result in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I posted a few days ago about a symptomatic physician in my wife's group being tested last Saturday. Today is day seven and still no result. A physician, who could be seeing patients, cannot get a test result in a week.
    That is fucked. HC workers in regular contact with patients should be the highest priority for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Don't forget..Trump is not responsible.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Shit. Posted in wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    Don't forget..Trump is not responsible.
    The buck stops...anywhere but here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

i just assumed trump would be dumb enough to not make that a requirement
    nah, he's smart when it comes to xenophobia. That's probably the one area where his self-assessment lines up with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by the propagandist formerly monikered brostoyevski View Post
    You might like this guy's stuff.

Watched the video and read his report. I like his stuff, but have no idea how to execute the long term volatility aspect of his portfolio. Sounds like that's a very active strategy that involves options trading up/down from current market positions at any given time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to buy a mutual fund or ETF that accounts for the long vol portion of his dragon portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by the propagandist formerly monikered brostoyevski View Post
    As far as I know you're right. There are volatility ETFs that can be really effective for short periods but the expense ratio likely erodes the benefit. He did reinforce the notion of a 20% gold position by saying it's a volatility hedge on its own. You could ask him directly though, there're many in similar positions.
    Here is what it says in his report-
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 2.11.25 PM.png
Views: 374
Size:  40.1 KB

I really wish those indices were available as ETFs. I can't find them with the research I've done so far.

Is the stock market going to tank?

The Global Pandemic risk factor.

I thought the airlines got hit hard after 911, but just look at them, and so many other businesses now.

I can’t help feel like this won’t change the rest of our lives.

What are the new longs?

Barbed wire and tasers?

Drone carrying lazers. Pew, pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

What are the new longs?
    Ecolab- or anything cleaning and sanitizing related
    Medical grade PPE of any type. Probably lots of new developing technology coming down the pike for this. Dental offices and other medical offices will not be able to function without a new paradigm in sanitization. Even nail salons, barber shops, the airlines, restaurants, public places will need to be stepping up cleaning protocols to give the public comfort in knowing that they are sanitary.

Bootstraps

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Drone carrying lazers.
    Call me crazy but I think they'd work better the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Oh yeah, good chance we're heading to all time high small biz BK filings. Some small biz LLCs and corps w/o principal personal guaranties will forego BK and just close their doors, but that opportunity will occur less than in the past because after 2008, nearly all creditors, suppliers and landlords have been routinely requiring personal guaranties. Many brick & mortar retail landlords will go down. Urban and small town landscapes will change. Amazon will increase market share. My semi-retirement plan was to avoid court appearances, but I got a feeling my future will include plenty o' appearances in BK court the next 3 years.
    I remember reading a piece about the guys that were unraveling Lehman after the crash, and one of them said that he had a job for ten years, it was so big and complex. That's a nice chunk of one's career. Well, just after the ten years is up, lookey here, a new vein in the gold mine, and it's a big one. Ten years more!

I like that Ecolab idea, let's talk about the "next thing" some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    The Global Pandemic risk factor.

I thought the airlines got hit hard after 911, but just look at them, and so many other businesses now.

What are the new longs?

bull bear tracker site has the doom calls up:

"SCPA’s April forecasts:
    100%- relief rally will peak by April 8, 2020
    100%- 2020 low will be breached by April 30, 2020
    SCPA’s long term forecast is for all eight of the global indices to bottom between September and November of 2022. At the bottom the minimum decline will be 79% below the 2020 highs."

now that 79% is just throwing something up and seeing if it sticks, but hard to argue that we will not hit new lows by april 30, the fed and congress have shot their wads now and governors are still talking about keeping things shut until may.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !