Page 297 of 729 FirstFirst ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,425 of 18222
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    For all the champagne liberals believing in LYFT or Uber, all they're doing is propagating the myth of workers hustling for a buck without no corporate stewardship or responsibility to its workers. They don't pay benefits of any kind that I'm aware of, the maintenance, insurance and car costs are carried by the driver and at the end of the day, I'd argue most drivers are not making anything resembling a living wage. Sure there must be outliers, but like a good old fashioned mormon MLM, 95% of those who enter aren't making anything resembling a living wage. Aside from flexibility, at least working at Starbucks gets you benefits and a paycheck.
    Poliass comments aside, I agree. But that's everything. The big lie is that anyone can get rich in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    If enough people were good at math, nobody would drive for them.
    If I had to come up with a common theme for uber drivers I've ridden with, it would be that they're lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm just here to add that I have yet to take an Uber/Lyft ride where the driver has not launched into a seriously racist or bigoted (anti gay) rant within 60 seconds of me getting into the car. I don't know if I give off a "sympathetic to bigots" vibe, or what, but it's happened a dozen or so times in multiple cities.
    It's the Sankapu.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The big lie is that anyone can get rich in this country.
    that's what the Powerball and MegaMillions are for.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    that's what the Powerball and MegaMillions are for.
    And taxes. Poor people that don't want the tax rates on the rich to go up because some day they will be rich

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You are either a massive statistical outlier or you dress like a skinhead, because I have never had that happen in the 15-20 Uber/Lyft rides I have taken. And have not heard that complaint from others.
    Oh I definitely know that I'm an outlier with my experience. I shared it purely as an anecdote, and not in an attempt to disparage folks who drive for Uber or Lyft and have made it out of the 19th century. I'm not accusing Uber and Lyft of recruiting from 4Chan, but that doesn't change the fact that my experiences listening to Uber and Lyft drivers represents a significant percentage of the "hate speech" I have had the displeasure of hearing in my life.

On two occasions, one in Seattle, one in Portland, my girlfriend was uncomfortable with the vitriol of the driver to the point that she insisted we had made a last minute change of plans and needed to be dropped of ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's the Sankapu.
    Nah, I was baked for all of the aforementioned rides, otherwise I would have been driving.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    And taxes. Poor people that don't want the tax rates on the rich to go up because some day they will be rich
    That's the fukking lie.

I’ve done lost income claims for a number of Uber drivers. Some make $40 a day going to work and on their way home. Others make $200-300 net after cost of driving. Uber has insurance, the drivers can supplement it but the main liability and other insurance is through Uber.

The main thing Uber drivers have told me when I did their calculations or on the hundreds of rides I’ve taken is you can make money if you are willing to work when rates are high. If you are willing to do the bar runs from 10pm to closing in any major city Thurs - Sat that is typically worth close to $100 an hour gross. Also tips have significantly helped them out.

I typically pay $40-50 without tip for a 40 mile 40 minute ride from the airport to my house. Driver gets 75% of that. Their cost per mile if they have a good car is usually around $.20.

it’s prime time drunk rides and airport/long commute runs in seattle. one run from the airport/dt up north on the way home can be huge. i think i paid > $50 for my last early morning airport run of 15-20mins over 10 miles of empty freeway.

i uber/lyft ~5x a week and can’t remember anyone too wretched; plenty of idiots and bad drivers. i’m riding this bitch til the real costs catch up and i have to buy a second car again (cost of parking a car in this city is cray).

“Making money” and positive net income at the very bottom of the income statement are not the same thing.

Look at Amazon for about 15 straight years. And at any given time Amazon could throw in a negative income quarter. Are they not making any money? For these growth companies (growing double digits annually, not just because they took an extra percent from drivers) look at gross profit growth and debt levels. Net income is the wrong metric.
    Decisions Decisions

Tesla should be interesting at the open. More interesting will be spreads on that debt
    Decisions Decisions

Deliver half of the cars in ten days? Totally normal.

Just like predicating unicorn growth on Amazon, which makes hundreds of millions off those unicorns, is totally normal.

Eh, tech is the fastest to scale as a type of company with the lowest required overhead.
    With how much capital is just hanging out there looking for returns, any company with their shit together is going to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Tesla should be interesting at the open. More interesting will be spreads on that debt
    Down over 8% on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    in seattle. bad drivers.
    I refuse to use Uber or Lyft.

Uber drivers in Seattle are appallingly bad.

Can't drive a block downtown without some crazy Mogadishu stunt being pulled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

my standards may be excessively low when it comes to judging the general public these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I refuse to use Uber or Lyft.

Uber drivers in Seattle are appallingly bad.

Can't drive a block downtown without some crazy Mogadishu stunt being pulled.
    I'm sure there's laws. Maybe doing what you can do to hold the people in charge of enforcing the laws accountable would be a good idea.

Not saying you aren't, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm sure there's laws. Maybe doing what you can do to hold the people in charge of enforcing the laws accountable would be a good idea.

Not saying you aren't, I have no idea.
    Who's this you? This is, to quote Matt Levine, the golden age for legal realism. What the fuck you going to do about it? Nobody cares about laws anymore, break them if you offer a service to yuppies (Uber) and they'll protect you.

As for the upthread "tech". Tech's a sell side bullshit term that doesn't mean fuckall. Tesla? WeWork? High-overhead companys. Tesla's actually higher overhead then their car making peers. Tech's just a term for company's that want to sell a software growth narrative irrespective of reality. That's not my stupid cynicism, Netflix refers to themselves as a media company that uses tech but the dumbass shills still call them a tech company. Now - how about those Russian pirate streaming sites?

Netflix is referred to as a tech company as that's how they started and they've created a lot of the modern ways to do infrastructure in the cloud era.
    WeWork and Tesla will be bankrupt in a year or two unless they make serious changes to their models. Investors are wising up to the tech unicorn farts without appropriate rigor,but in this capital environment, the old PT Barnum saying applies.

TSLA held its previous low last month of $259. It's positive that a low on SEC news held on subsequent poor fundamental news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I didn’t realize Matson was publicly traded... hum... do I double dip in the shipping industry

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gonna be some carnage in the cable space tomorrow. Disney playing for keeps.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

APC making me some $$$$$ today. God damn that took a few years to play out
    Decisions Decisions

Good read regarding Uber

Fuck them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Like a kidney stone.

Just gonna leave this here. Attachment 279114

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app