Page 504 of 729 FirstFirst ... 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 ... LastLast
Results 12,576 to 12,600 of 18222
    Sounds like ABNB is near IPO. Any thoughts?

Looks like they were doing ok before the virus hit, took a beating in the last nine months, but could be set for a recovery due to the virus/ or when the virus in "over" and people start to travel again.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/363684...content=link-0

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

Looks like they were doing ok before the virus hit, took a beating in the last nine months, but could be set for a recovery due to the virus/ or when the virus in "over" and people start to travel again.

They are a money maker with a massive moat. If you can get in the IPO then do it.

I wish TDA did fractional shares, I’d be in on that if I could.

Dividend from CLB today, .01/share. My hundred shares got me a buck, of which the Netherlands took .15. If I profit on the sale of it eventually will they take 15% of that as well?

Finally ditched my VISL, took a beating on that. Picked up 11 more shares of FCEL with the proceeds, feeling better about that. I watched BE and PLUG from last spring, even though none of them make a profit they moved up from 4-5ish to 19 and 22 currently. FCEL has sat around $2.50ish for most of the same time, the last five days it’s started to move up a bit. It’s probably a lot of blue sky Biden win type momentum but I do think the technology has merit and is worth the cheap play.

NKLA pumping. Some people picked up an old GM PR and thought it was new. Gently scaling into some puts. Hoping for a bear spread pending Dec 1 unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

I'd hit it. That company is going to ride the great post Covid travel revival like a 25 ft break. Nice discount right now.

Interesting to see IRM down. Have been watching it of late. Current price in the low $25 range gives a dividend just over 9%.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Interesting to see IRM down. Have been watching it of late. Current price in the low $25 range gives a dividend just over 9%.
    Having been a IRM stockholder for 9 years I'm now sitting on free shares following covered calls and dividends so bear this in mind. While I'm still happy to be a stockholder and keep on doing what I do there's more perception of them as a boomer value stock with little upside and more downside and also greater risk of a dividend cut. Recall that the bulk of their business is paper records retention. Would I buy them now if I wasn't already long? I don't know tbh

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Shoot me some ideas for penny stocks. I'm tapped but have free trading at E Trade and feel like I should be taking more advantage of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I've been putting my extra dollars after bigger trades into FCEL. Plug Power and Bloom Energy have both gone from the price FCEL is trading at to around $17.00 this year. I figure it's a good counter for my oil stocks. If Biden wins and more dollars are put into green energy I can see it rising.
    FCEL has doubled in the last four days, hopefully you bought some. I read a bit more into PLUG and their relationships with Amazon and WalMart, not sure I’ll go any deeper on them. If I run into anymore cash I’ll probably put it into BE, they seem pretty close to turning a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    FCEL has doubled in the last four days, hopefully you bought some. I read a bit more into PLUG and their relationships with Amazon and WalMart, not sure I’ll go any deeper on them. If I run into anymore cash I’ll probably put it into BE, they seem pretty close to turning a profit.
    FCEL is close to being shortable again. It's an old boomer fuel cell tech big into static standby power-sources. Biggest asset is a millenial friendly ticker symbol, Massive Robinhood and Webull influencer hype. I'd like another 10% spike on it to start scaling in.

In on FCEL short. Starter at 6.60

After months of being down on XOM and CLB they both went into the green today! Hydrogen has been doing really well since the election, I'm up 24.6% on BE, 10.1% on PLUG, and 204.7% on FCEL.
    Last edited by BobMc; 11-23-2020 at 05:21 PM. Reason: FCEL moved higher after hours, edited %

DOW hit 30K today. MAGA?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Grabbed a pair and shorted more FCEL at open in high 10s. Just covered at mid 7s - whew.

Meanwhile NKLA is squeezing hard. It has more room to run IMO unfortunately for me pending the outcome of the GM deal on Dec 3rd. Will look to short more on that

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Grabbed a pair and shorted more FCEL at open in high 10s. Just covered at mid 7s - whew.

Meanwhile NKLA is squeezing hard. It has more room to run IMO unfortunately for me pending the outcome of the GM deal on Dec 3rd. Will look to short more on that
    Re NKLA, man that is some spike? Not seeing anything to justify that increase of close to 20%. Irrational stupidity?

Re NKLA, man that is some spike? Not seeing anything to justify that increase of close to 20%. Irrational stupidity?
    Two catalysts - Dec 1st a pile of institutional investor and Trevor Milton shares unlock

Dec 3rd - drop dead date for announcement of whether or not GM and NKLA proceed with deal

Then also add in a fairly substantial EV mini bubble

DOW hit 30K today. MAGA?
    Probably because the gsa finally announced it’s beginning the transition and Biden is announcing competent people will be in government.

DOW hit 30K today. MAGA?
    He thinks so. So pathetic. He holds a special, one minute "press conference" to say so, with no questions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I can’t see paying that kind of share price with them looking at losing a big part ($25 burgers) of their revenue.

I’ve been pulling higher since the transition started moving ahead. I started this experiment last April by putting in 2k, been putting in money a thousand here fifty bucks there since then. I’m up to 12.2k of my cash into my fun, so far I’m up 4.7k.

My wife is impressed and quite happy with the results so far. Every year my Mom sends us a check for Christmas. She raised me as a single Mom working multiple jobs at all times to put food on our table. She still isn’t well off by any means but saves all she can and sends us a significant check every year. I think she does it to make up for us being so poor when I was a child, every year I tell her I don’t want it and every year it comes. I love the shit out of my Mom and wouldn’t trade the world for how I grew up.

Anyways, with the results my wife has ok’ed me to sink our latest check into the market. As I’ve put in the 12k in varying amounts it didn’t seem like real money and I’ve probably played a bit loose with it. It’s worked out for sure, but now that the Dow is up to 30k the easy pickings are getting a bit harder. Putting in the larger amount all at once has me a bit more risk adverse, not going to dump it all into BE (which I would’ve last week at $17) or FCEL, nor OPTT (which I may put leftover cash into).

Looking for something to park 10k, I keep looking at XOM still. A part of me is like that meme with the guy checking out the girl while his girlfriend watches on. I happily spent 40-52 dollars on XOM all summer long, bought 29 shares at 32-34 this month. Now a part of me can’t pay $41, heh.

Any advice? Should I toss it in some Vanguard fund or say screw it and roll with XOM. I’ve been back and forth all day, that rise in crude keeps steering me towards XOM. I’ve also thought about grabbing as many shares of AAPL I can and banking on that 5g cash sure to come.

Well done Bob. I like big old boomer dividend stocks like XOM as the cornerstone of a portfolio. Consider simply buying 100 shares and letting it sit. Every month sell a call option against it (look up covered calls).

You'll get about a 8% dividend. The call option will return another 1% per month if you're aggressive and sell call options at 10% above market price. Return will be .0.05%/month at a more conservative 20% above market price.

That still totals 18% per year. Boring af but that is how real money is made without getting too stressed

I wish my cost basis on XOM was 52. Maybe Lee will offer an online options tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Well done Bob. I like big old boomer dividend stocks like XOM as the cornerstone of a portfolio. Consider simply buying 100 shares and letting it sit. Every month sell a call option against it (look up covered calls).

You'll get about a 8% dividend. The call option will return another 1% per month if you're aggressive and sell call options at 10% above market price. Return will be .0.05%/month at a more conservative 20% above market price.

That still totals 18% per year. Boring af but that is how real money is made without getting too stressed

Thanks Lee, I like that. I’ll probably buy 107, I already own 93. December 10th will have another almost two shares depending on the share price at that time due to dividend reinvestment. For most of tonight I’ve been looking at dividend stocks, haven’t seen too many that offer the XOM yield. Granted, it’s well known the dividend has been in jeopardy but I haven’t found the yield and possible share advancement like XOM.

Been studying up on options plays but still can’t quite get my mind around it. If anyone has an online tutorial they know of I’d like to watch it.

I don't really do videos so can't offer advice. But lets take XOM.

All numbers approximate. The dividend is approx 8.5% at 40

The Dec 18th 2020 45 call (Dec 18 45C as shortform) option is trading at 0.40.

Each option represents 100 shares of XOM. Buying one Dec18 45C gives you the right to buy 100 shares of XOM at $45 from a "third party".

That contractual right has a price (also known as a premium). That trading price of 0.40 is the premium. Multiply 100 shares x 0.40 and the premium is $400. If you buy that one Dec18 45C we call that being long a call option (or long calls, or call buyer etc). You pay $ 400 to your broker and in return one Dec18 45C shows up in your account.

Selling one Dec18 45C means you're on the other side of that contractual right (ie you are the counterparty) and you become the third party. We call that shorting a call option or selling a call. A call seller has a contractual obligation to deliver 100 shares of XOM to call buyer.

What usually happens is that call options are traded for various prices just like stock. However lets take the scenario where you own 100 shares XOM at 40 (value $ 4000) and you sell one Dec18 45C at 0.40.

-$ 400 shows up in your account. That's 1% of the value of your current holding of XOM. Dec 18th rolls around. XOM trades like molasses. Lets say XOM finishes up on end of day at Dec 18th at 42. Call buyer does nothing. Why would they? They have a contractual right to buy XOM at 45 but they can buy XOM on the open market at 42. So the call buyer surrenders the premium and you keep it. That represents a 1% return

Lets say XOM finishes up on end of day at Dec 18th at 47. Now call buyer has an option that's worth something. We call that in-the-money. Call buyer either exercises the option or some computer program matches your sold call to a call option that is in the money (we call that assignment(. You now have an obligation to deliver 100 shares of XOM to someone. But consider

- You're up $ 5 on XOM. A trade is executed where your shares are sold at 45 (even though XOM is trading at 47 remember you entered into a contract to sell 100 shares of XOM to someone at 45). The shares become someone elses' property. That someone is the call buyer who owns XOM at 45 even though XOM is trading at 47.
    - You still keep the $ 400 premium.
    - If you still like XOM you can re-purchase XOM on the open market. Maybe you do that at 47. Maybe you wait a bit till XOM dips to 45. Your choice
    - You're out capital gains taxes and commissions. This is a NICE problem to have.

There's lots of things you can do if you think your short call option is going to end up in the money and you want to keep your shares (maybe tax reasons etc). You can close out your short call by purchasing a long call which would probably mean you lose your premium and are probably out some money.

Bottom line is that, as long as you own enough shares of the underlying stock to satisfy the contractual demands of being short a call option you have limited downside and you get to generate some income from your underlying stock. That income is on top of your dividend

Next up - going long stock with cash secured puts

Btw, this is how I’ve rolled so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE8B035C-5D0D-4249-81C3-FA17B0E15E98.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	806.1 KB 
ID:	349794

TEUM=Stupid buy, had money left over from larger trade and bought on movement news. Didn’t do much research, spur of the moment.

T=Bought a share a few months ago because I had that much cash left over from a larger share price trade. Bought it because of the dividend, don’t figure it’ll rise a lot, steady stuff.

Plug=Bought one share at what seems to be an overvalued company with a chance on a renewable boom.

CMPS=I was rather bullish on this when I found it, but now I’m having concerns of other businesses with non synthetic versions and possible low price treatments.

BE=I should’ve listened to what I read and could find out. I think they have one of the best chances to break out.

SABR=Pretty happy with this, did due diligence, travel stock with little overhead and a steady price pre-pandemic. It hasn’t given a lot of profit yet but I feel it’ll be back soon.

CLB=This one had me shitting my pants all summer. It was the biggest buy I made all year, 100 shares at $23.28. I did a lot of research and figured they had one of the best chances to weather the low oil price storm. I was close to $1000 down on this at one point.

MRO=One of my early buys, probably a bit of hype and Robinhood on this buy. I originally started a Robinhood account and my bank didn’t cooperate, ended up on TDameritrade. I still have a share of MRO on robinhood at about $3. I bought more on the dip in the fall, still feel pretty good on it and will keep for a while.

FCEL=Started buying that in early Oct after reading about it a bit. Scored up on cheap shares, torn between setting a $10 trigger and letting it ride. Will not buy more at this price.

XOM=Enough said.

CCL=On-board credit with the chance of profits.

AIR=Another score, I saw this stock as a fleet of mechanics, I knew we would win. I have a good feeling about this one, as CLB it isn’t a company that relies on a lot of material assets.

ACCD=This one I chose because I know the CEO, although rather Kevin Bacon. Friend of a friend, seems to have worked out so far.

BBBY=Probably don’t need to get into great detail, as mentioned upthread I liked the management overhaul.

Thanks for the info Lee. Been reading and watching some videos the last couple days. It seems with these tactics one can make money no matter which way things go. Apparently the key is to already have the cash and keep multiple stashes of 100 share tranches.

I picked up 207 shares of XOM this morning (giving me 300), it abruptly moved downwards just after I bought. I set the order last night, bought it at opener with a market buy, didn’t pay attention to the bid/ask. I’ve been doing pretty well with the choosing of stocks but I think I get a bit excited at times and miss out on the little things.

I’m gonna do a bit more research on this option thing before I move onto that, I’m guessing paying attention to trends on this subject can only make my financial decisions better.

I think I’m going to pick up 100 shares of GE with some of my remaining cash. They’re another company with new management that is diversified and seems to be moving aggressively into renewables. I may throw the rest into OPTT, another renewable that is a bit risky.