Page 666 of 729 FirstFirst ... 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 ... LastLast
Results 16,626 to 16,650 of 18218
    My entire portfolio is hedged with puts.

Most of my stocks have good dividends, so I'll collect them while I'm somewhat protected if the stocks go down.

The idea of that they once in a while i sell dune puts and buy more of the stocks i have, at lower prices. So when the dividends go down, as they will, i might be able to keep the total amount i collect the same, because i will have more shares

We'll see.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    How many of you guys have gone to cash? Is that a wise thing to do if you're a passive investor?
    No. It is not.

How many of you guys have gone to cash? Is that a wise thing to do if you're a passive investor?
    I'm putting everything I can spare into the stock market right now. tough to watch it drop week over week but I'm not retiring for ~15 years.

One thing I started doing differently though is i have a small portion of my paycheck that buys bonds. I'm realizing when this happens again my funds aren't allocated very well if I am close to retirement or retired, so starting to build up that bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by pogs4ever View Post
    I'm putting everything I can spare into the stock market right now. tough to watch it drop week over week but I'm not retiring for ~15 years.
    I’m being a bit aggressive myself today in regards to buying more of my dividend stocks.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by pogs4ever View Post
    One thing I started doing differently though is i have a small portion of my paycheck that buys bonds. I'm realizing when this happens again my funds aren't allocated very well if I am close to retirement or retired, so starting to build up that bucket.
    REITs have have been pretty hammered lately. I have a small part of my portfolio with Vangaurds offering. Helps me sleep better for some reason.. Also nice to have it if I want some money to jump into the market with. Or at least in theory. Doesn't work so well when rates are skyrocketing!

VGSLX which has a 10 year return of 7.51% but ytd down a whopping 18.83.

I won't talk about a tiny bit of money I have in a GNMA except to say it has stayed tiny.

Maybe a buying opportunity for someone looking to diversify away from the market a bit BUT with much more short term downside risk for sure as rates rise and real estate demand softens.

If you are going to cash to time the market, you aren't a passive investor fwiw. I think inflation favors staying long, just have to ignore the shirt term bruisers.

I dunno. Times like these are fucked. Unless you want get into complex investments (I refuse) the math seems to suck for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    REITs have have been pretty hammered lately. I have a small part of my portfolio with Vangaurds offering. Helps me sleep better for some reason.. Also nice to have it if I want some money to jump into the market with. Or at least in theory. Doesn't work so well when rates are skyrocketing!

VGSLX which has a 10 year return of 7.51% but ytd down a whopping 18.83.

I won't talk about a tiny bit of money I have in a GNMA except to say it has stayed tiny.

Maybe a buying opportunity for someone looking to diversify away from the market a bit BUT with much more short term downside risk for sure as rates rise and real estate demand softens.

If you are going to cash to time the market, you aren't a passive investor fwiw. I think inflation favors staying long, just have to ignore the shirt term bruisers.

I dunno. Times like these are fucked. Unless you want get into complex investments (I refuse) the math seems to suck for everything.
    Depends on what you consider complex... But even now there are certain sectors that are doing well.. But.. Those sectors are not what I consider good investments for passive investors.. I am much more passive now than in the past.. Sometimes its emotionally difficult to think of an idea..then not invest.. Then watch that idea work well while my passive investments decline in value....but the discipline of doing nothing is usually less stressful day to day... I expect more increased volatility ahead....
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    Depends on what you consider complex... But even now there are certain sectors that are doing well.. But.. Those sectors are not what I consider good investments for passive investors.. I am much more passive now than in the past.. Sometimes its emotionally difficult to think of an idea..then not invest.. Then watch that idea work well while my passive investments decline in value....but the discipline of doing nothing is usually less stressful day to day... I expect more increased volatility ahead....
    To me complex is something I can understand but forget how it works within a couple days. For people smarter than me this will be different for sure.

Sectors doing well now are priced higher, so that negates the advantage of buying them right now.

You speak much truth though, and more or less describe my investment evolution as well

November 2021 would have been a great time to go to cash for anyone with a crystal ball.

I kinda hope Cono Este is correct. For anyone not retiring in the immediate future another 25% drop would be great so long as you can keep your job and keep contributing.

Market up on the news that JPow is sticking with 75 basis points. Real interest rate is -5.25%. Wish I had the conviction to buy calls today.

Sure seems like we're choosing to let inflation run rampant. The fed is not being aggressive.

I'm meeting with a financial advisor for the first time Friday. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

I'm meeting with a financial advisor for the first time Friday. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
    You should research expense ratios and load fees to understand what you're getting into before meeting with a "financial advisor". That industry is rampant with seedy bullshit.

Make sure to stay away from whole life insurance as well.

Met with our financial advisor this morning. Good to have one. But definitely ask how they are paid.

Always make sure your financial person is a fiduciary.

https://www.investopedia.com/updates...iduciary-rule/

Yes, thank you all. They are a fiduciary and I guess they're kind of the local gurus and have a selective client base. Dartmouth folks, so not idiots. That is a good and potentially bad thing. Idk. I've always been skeptical of these guys based on absolutely nothing, so here I go. Give it a shot and see.

Crazy up and down moves today. Huge volatility.

Re: financial advisors. Flat fee fiduciary is the absolute gold standard if you can find it.

Lots of people claim to be fiduciaries without being willing to sign a fiduciary contract. My parents were swindled by a Raymond James CFP who had them in high expense ratio bullshit and had a 50 basis point per year "advising fee" on top of the high expense ratios.

I found them a flat fee fiduciary CFP/CFA/RICP Stanford MBA and their total yearly fees inclusive of expense rarios are about 1/3 of what my parents were paying to the RJ hack.

My parents are saving tens of thousands per year and their fiduciary is incredibly valuable. He and his team earn every penny of their flat fee ensuring everything is tax advantaged, doing asset allocation and setting up a detailed budget for retirement income.

It's not rocket science but my parents need a go to "person" so it's worth paying for them.

RJ hack told my parents she was a fiduciary but wouldn't sign paperwork saying so. I wanted to strangle her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Crazy up and down moves today. Huge volatility.

Re: financial advisors. Flat fee fiduciary is the absolute gold standard if you can find it.

Lots of people claim to be fiduciaries without being willing to sign a fiduciary contract. My parents were swindled by a Raymond James CFP who had them in high expense ratio bullshit and had a 50 basis point per year "advising fee" on top of the high expense ratios.

I found them a flat fee fiduciary CFP/CFA/RICP Stanford MBA and their total yearly fees inclusive of expense rarios are about 1/3 of what my parents were paying to the RJ hack.

My parents are saving tens of thousands per year and their fiduciary is incredibly valuable. He and his team earn every penny of their flat fee ensuring everything is tax advantaged, doing asset allocation and setting up a detailed budget for retirement income.

It's not rocket science but my parents need a go to "person" so it's worth paying for them.

RJ hack told my parents she was a fiduciary but wouldn't sign paperwork saying so. I wanted to strangle her.
    thank you

Markets down down
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thank you for the timely update

lol

Predicting future returns on the current trailing real rate is stupid

I'm waiting for the dead cat to stop bouncing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead Cat Bounce.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	427108
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

As much would have it I haven't been able to put anything into retirement this year due to a job switch. Planning on doing a bulk purchase at the end of the year. Small difference in the grand scheme but hey, if that dead cat stops bouncing by the end of the year, it could be a happy accident.

Need to define what you mean by a passive investor. Going to cash is an active move.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Predicting future returns on the current trailing real rate is stupid
    Fact
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Need to define what you mean by a passive investor. Going to cash is an active move.
    “Sell the dip”!