Page 517 of 729 FirstFirst ... 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,925 of 18218
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I had a personal finance class in college. It was valuable. Of course that was when I was “going back to college” in my 30s. Ugh. Before that I barely even had a bank account.
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Finance 101 was a pre-req class in my engineering school. Basically the importance of compound interest was pounded into our heads for a a semester.
    I never had anything like that (and it's not like I had an objectively shoddy education, quite the opposite). Thankfully, I was always naturally good at finance/numbers, and I bounced one check in college and that was all it took for me to make sure that never happened again. But kids should be learning this stuff BEFORE they are independent adults. I know a lot of people who got buried in credit card debt in their 20s because they didn't understand what they were doing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had several friends get hooked on credit cards in college. Always thought it was predatory the way they tried to manipulate kids with zero real world experience into shitty ass cards with like a 600 dollar limit and 20+% interest.
    Live Free or Die

Kevin Hart has a really good program where he educates inner city kids about personal finances. He partnered with a fairly major bank to do that. He said it was life-changing for the kids to see a wealthy black guy make it. The bankers who participate in the program rave about it. It seems like a really good thing to do.

Financial education doesn't have to complex or esoteric or whatever.... it can just be about the sheer power of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I never had anything like that (and it's not like I had an objectively shoddy education, quite the opposite).
    Same on both counts. It's nuts in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I had several friends get hooked on credit cards in college. Always thought it was predatory the way they tried to manipulate kids with zero real world experience into shitty ass cards with like a 600 dollar limit and 20+% interest.
    I remember there always being booths set up on campus where you could sign up for CC's. If you signed up for several at once you could get stupid free shit like a pair of knock-off Oakleys. It's so clearly predatory that it's hard to believe it was (still is?) legal.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Kevin Hart has a really good program where he educates inner city kids about personal finances. He partnered with a fairly major bank to do that. He said it was life-changing for the kids to see a wealthy black guy make it. The bankers who participate in the program rave about it. It seems like a really good thing to do.

Financial education doesn't have to complex or esoteric or whatever.... it can just be about the sheer power of numbers.
    Some real basic fundamentals will get you a long way.

Finacial education is really needed before kids start picking colleges. A little cost/benefit anaylsis goes a long way to avoid serious mistakes for both student and families.

I'd sit w my pre-teen kid watching Dave Ramsey as his guests cut up their CC after wallowing in debt screaming - "I'm debt free!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Target funds are great start, a simple three fund etf portfolio will outperform almost everything else out there (outside of the stuff LeeLau does, but that requires a lot more knowledge and time).
    This is what she has. I'm not a fan of International Stocks or Bonds. What would you do differently?

Vanguard 2060 Fund Exp ratio .15

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares 54.10%
    Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares 36.50%
    Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares† 6.80%
    Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares 2.60%
    100.00%

What kind of platform is she investing on? What are the other options in terms of target date or other investment options you can piece together.
    Decisions Decisions

Just started a Robinhood acct this morning w/ $100 today. Gonna play around and see how it goes. Invest $100 a month till I feel comfortable stepping it up. Pretty fun so far. Spread that $100 across a bunch of different stocks and cryptos.
    Have fun! I started with $2k last April and now have a lot more than that into it, it’s an addiction. The scrap guy came by the shop yesterday, $81 apiece to me and my employees. Mine went into the market, of course.

I bought 3 more shares of EPD, now have 78 of them, my midstream was off today just as the majority of the energy sector, coulda bought em for less than I paid. But, I still feel good about the sector and where I’m at in it.

What’d ya buy?

Just started a Robinhood acct this morning w/ $100 today. Gonna play around and see how it goes. Invest $100 a month till I feel comfortable stepping it up. Pretty fun so far. Spread that $100 across a bunch of different stocks and cryptos.
    Am i an idiot? (dont answer that). You can buy crypto through a normal brokerage like RH or Etrade? I thought buying crypto was a totally separate deal with crypto wallets, separate exchanges, etc? Or are you just talking about some random crypto tracking ETF or something?

I sold GME 60C expiring today with the assumption I would keep the money as they would expire ootm. AppearsI may be wrong and may be forced to take more profits

Lee, what's your take on value guys crying foul with respect to the Fed muddying the market? Sour grapes over an inability to adjust to a market that is permanently changed or another example of prescience for what is around the corner?

I sold GME 60C expiring today with the assumption I would keep the money as they would expire ootm. AppearsI may be wrong and may be forced to take more profits
    C’mon GME. Drop a fat secondary right now.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    C’mon GME. Drop a fat secondary right now.
    Was so tempted to sell there

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Lee, what's your take on value guys crying foul with respect to the Fed muddying the market? Sour grapes over an inability to adjust to a market that is permanently changed or another example of prescience for what is around the corner?
    Cry all one wants. I'm not fighting trillions of dollars. My BTC and RIOT bet is predicated on the Fed further debasing the USD

Halted up 69%. Nice.

Cry all one wants. I'm not fighting trillions of dollars. My BTC and RIOT bet is predicated on the Fed further debasing the USD
    Their quarrel makes sense to me but seems a bit Sysiphean given market tail winds from seemingly every direction.

Maybe it's a distinction without a difference when it comes to debasing but the Fed has officially adopted “flexible average inflation targeting.” Meaning the Fed will do what it takes to average 2% inflation long term, including tightening should the need arise. Using TIPS spread as an inflation forecast the policy seems to be working:

5 years: 2.20%
    10 years: 2.12%
    30 years: 2.1%

Long Term Average: 2.03%

GME gets halted, so the merry band heads over to $AMC. What a market.

WoohooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210122_101419.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	359128

Holding strong with 420 (actually 422, should sell 2) shares of GME! Will take principal out at $100/share, maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CovertM; 01-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.

GME activity response:

EV Go (EVGO) and Chargepoint SPACs are coming soon. How do you get in on that early?

i love the mockery of the markets with GME, elephant in the room

Nutso these days. I can just picture tens of thousands, maybe even more of RobinHood types on their computers like they were playing Vegas slot machines.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch