Page 425 of 462 FirstFirst ... 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 11529
  1. #10601
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Loci
    Posts
    3,486
    First one wobbling: Norweigian airlines applies for restructuring.
    In other rumours, Lufthansa needs a hudge bailout from German state..

    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

  2. #10602
    Quote Originally Posted by the propagandist formerly monikered brostoyevski View Post
    I sent some money to a brokerage today to place some hedging trades against stonks. ORCL, ACN, GOOGL air gaps on the longer term charts. May expiry.
    Ended up focusing on ADBE, with a little ORCL. Now have May, June expiries. I think ADBE touches 160 by July barring Fed stonk purchases (if that happens trade dies).

    S&P futures today +2.6%
    Nasdaq futures today2 +2.09%
    ADBE today + 0.4%

    Could just be rotation from tech into value I suppose.

  3. #10603
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    7,344
    Sold HPQ, HPE.

  4. #10604
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    9,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Talked to a buddy that runs a hedge fund that specializes in the energy sector. He has had a net short position on the US/Canadian oil industry for 16 months. He is absolutely crushing it right now.

    He said now that he has cashed in on his oil company shorts he's shorting the entire Canadian economy via ETFs. He thinks Canada is screwed.
    Doesn’t sound very hedged.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #10605
    The author is a legit brainchair.

    https://archive.is/gFfPg

    Name:  das.png
Views: 352
Size:  146.6 KB

  6. #10606
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    7,344
    Here's the update. Around 17MM new claims in three weeks.


  7. #10607
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    744
    In a ZIRP world jobs don't really matter. Stawks are the only game in town.

  8. #10608
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    In a ZIRP world jobs don't really matter. Stawks are the only game in town.
    The Fed is now effectively the market maker for debt and stocks... And seems to have no limits to what it is willing to do to help the bullish case.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

  9. #10609
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Here's the update. Around 17MM new claims in three weeks.

    That is roughly 11% of the employed workforce filing for claims in 3 weeks. Prior to this the record was 685k in 08 or so. This is unbelievable.

  10. #10610
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5,860
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    That is roughly 11% of the employed workforce filing for claims in 3 weeks. Prior to this the record was 685k in 08 or so. This is unbelievable.

    Right? The market's going to skyrocket on this stellar bit of news!

    This is the closest we are likely to come to a general strike in the United States, and I think it's high time the working people use that leverage.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  11. #10611
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,202
    Companies can continue to pay dividends and interest payments because they don't have to worry about default risk.

  12. #10612
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,202
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is the closest we are likely to come to a general strike in the United States, and I think it's high time the working people use that leverage.
    Start it off. Walk out of your job today. What are you waiting for?

  13. #10613
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,409
    ^^Improperly installed wax rings will be leaking human waste if he does that.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  14. #10614
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    funland
    Posts
    4,646
    I just want to point out that new jobless claim dropped by 300,000 this week. Obama never had a one week drop this big!! #KAG

  15. #10615
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    40,985
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Right? The market's going to skyrocket on this stellar bit of news!

    This is the closest we are likely to come to a general strike in the United States, and I think it's high time the working people use that leverage.
    Oh, you mean, vote? Half don't. How else can you "leverage"?

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  16. #10616
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I just want to point out that new jobless claim dropped by 300,000 this week. Obama never had a one week drop this big!! #KAG
    I like your optimism. Markets to the Moon!
    I went almost all cash mid February. I was starting to dribble back in DCA averaging, but this has me entirely confused. I may sit on cash for a while and 1)miss out on gains, but I don't care at this point 2) sit on my cash and purchase potentially heavily distressed commercial properties in the coming months.

  17. #10617
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I like your optimism. Markets to the Moon!
    I went almost all cash mid February. I was starting to dribble back in DCA averaging, but this has me entirely confused. I may sit on cash for a while and 1)miss out on gains, but I don't care at this point 2) sit on my cash and purchase potentially heavily distressed commercial properties in the coming months.
    A few more shoes yet to fall on this i think.

    RE values (outside of stuff like data centers/cell towers) are going to get hit hard.

    Jobs should rebound pretty strongly by the fall, but I would guess we don't ever (next 20 years at least) get back to where we were in terms of unemployment rate.

    I haven't heard many people talking about the impending state and muni impact as retail tax streams dry up - maybe not a big deal, but that's a problem extending into next year.

    A few large companies (eg WeWork, JCP, JCrew) going to be dragged behind the wood shed in the next few months.

  18. #10618
    Fed is monetizing US Govt debt, investment grade corporate debt & now high yield corporate debt (junk bonds).

    And Nasdaq still negative this morning.

  19. #10619
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    New Haven Line heading north
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I like your optimism. Markets to the Moon!
    I went almost all cash mid February. I was starting to dribble back in DCA averaging, but this has me entirely confused. I may sit on cash for a while and 1)miss out on gains, but I don't care at this point 2) sit on my cash and purchase potentially heavily distressed commercial properties in the coming months.
    Ford bonds are up 30% today. It would be nice if the Fed didn't make it so obvious.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

  20. #10620
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,265
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    That is roughly 11% of the employed workforce filing for claims in 3 weeks. Prior to this the record was 685k in 08 or so. This is unbelievable.
    I wonder what % of claims have even been filed. Reports of completely overwhelmed state systems with applicants unable to get through the process are widespread.

  21. #10621
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh, you mean, vote? Half don't. How else can you "leverage"?

    Well it's not realistic because collective action has never been our strong suit in this country, among other reasons. But if a large portion of the population nationwide that is currently not working or working in a reduced capacity refused to return to work until there were programs in place guaranteeing every American worker had paid sick leave and vacation time, or maybe get the federal minimum wage up to where it's half of the living wage instead of a quarter of it, or maybe some programs ensure access to healthcare without the specter of bankruptcy looming, etc.

    As I said, unrealistic and ugly, but there is hypothetical leverage that could be exerted.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  22. #10622
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,409
    I think those used to be called unions?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  23. #10623
    Minimum wage pressures are really a roundabout way of trying to contest inflationary monetary policy. Unionization has some valid role to play, but the fundamental problem is the uphill battle of competing with 6% YoY M1/M2 increases in an environment where authorities advertise a 2% CPI figure AND capital controls the legislature via backdoor lobbying. Minimum wage is a spear thrown at a battleship.

    How to move the needle:
    - Defund the political establishment that favors capital at the expense of labor
    - Stop legitimizing the spectacle with voting & political participation
    - Opt-out of the 'misadventures on the risk curve' Fed-sponsored ponzi

  24. #10624
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    9,462
    Fake Market, very Fake


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #10625
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    40,985
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Well it's not realistic because collective action has never been our strong suit in this country, among other reasons. But if a large portion of the population nationwide that is currently not working or working in a reduced capacity refused to return to work until there were programs in place guaranteeing every American worker had paid sick leave and vacation time, or maybe get the federal minimum wage up to where it's half of the living wage instead of a quarter of it, or maybe some programs ensure access to healthcare without the specter of bankruptcy looming, etc.

    As I said, unrealistic and ugly, but there is hypothetical leverage that could be exerted.
    Dude, half of Americans just decided that the best candidate to compete with Trump is a nearly 80 year old cognitively damaged machine politician who has stated more than once that he will veto a universal health care bill passed by both houses. He still sees no need for M4All during a pandemic. You're going to have to wait at least ten years for the Boomers to die off so younger people can straighten out this mess.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Similar Threads

  1. Who voted for Bush/Cheney in '00 or '04?
    By Bud Green in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 11:44 PM
  2. Risotto Recipes - What you got?
    By skiaholik in forum The Padded Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
  3. Did American Ski Company get delisted from the stock market?
    By Free Range Lobster in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:13 AM
  4. Bear Activists Killed and Eaten by Bears in Katmai
    By Lane Meyer in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •