Page 456 of 729 FirstFirst ... 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 18222
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    As a very green investor (only started in late March)... this is not how the market typically behaves right? There is usually pretty good rhyme and reason, and correlation to the economy? I cashed out of most everything earlier this week, except for some energy stocks i bought in early April, because things just stopped making sense.
    You're in a thread titled "Is the stock market going to tank?". Negativity and fear is in the title, LMAO
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

californiagrown - markets are driven by buyers and sellers and their respective aggression levels. They don't have to make sense or be rational since the market actors themselves don't make sense or are rational. Different people employ different tactics to try to achieve understanding and get an edge.

IMO the best thing you can do is to find your own method to dealing with the madness.

2 words

indexed funds
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    You're in a thread titled "Is the stock market going to tank?". Negativity and fear is in the title, LMAO
    Check the date on the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That’s good stuff! I think the last one might be better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

COVID scams appear to be petering out. On to the next new scam fashions
    XSPA is a COVID scam that's rearing its head. It's not a scam per se but just a nanocap that has periodic pumps of hype. Failed to find borrows so just watching for now.

Spitballing, but a bet against movie theaters in the medium and longer terms seems reasonable on the surface: AMC, RGC, CNK. The Universal movies direct to stream thing. Disney+. Regal taking the opportunity to permanently close some theaters. But, then there is rumored Amazon interest in AMC.

All of the soon to be abandoned shopping malls and other large retail centers would be cheap and easy to convert to drive-in theaters. It would be neat to see a revival of the drive-in. Going to see a movie in a theater has always extremely unappealing to me. Why the hell would I want to sit in a sticky seat that's been drenched in ass sweat from 50,000 other people, while listening to mouthbreathers make more noise eating and drinking than barnyard animals? I'll pass, thanks.

And getting shot.

I'm joking of course (well, sort of), but I haven't set foot in a mainstream movie theater in I don't even know how many years.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    All of the soon to be abandoned shopping malls and other large retail centers would be cheap and easy to convert to drive-in theaters. It would be neat to see a revival of the drive-in. Going to see a movie in a theater has always extremely unappealing to me. Why the hell would I want to sit in a sticky seat that's been drenched in ass sweat from 50,000 other people, while listening to mouthbreathers make more noise eating and drinking than barnyard animals? I'll pass, thanks.
    And why would I sit in my car in a parking lot while I can watch movies from the comfort of my couch?

Movie theaters made sense when people had crappy TVs, but with pretty much everyone having large flat screen HD TVs and the ability to stream in 1080p or 4k I see no reason that movie theaters are better. I don't want to deal with people kicking my seat, needing to walk past me, talking throughout the movie, eating food loudly, etc. The movie theater experience is way worse than the at home experience IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    And why would I sit in my car in a parking lot while I can watch movies from the comfort of my couch?

Movie theaters made sense when people had crappy TVs, but with pretty much everyone having large flat screen HD TVs and the ability to stream in 1080p or 4k I see no reason that movie theaters are better. I don't want to deal with people kicking my seat, needing to walk past me, talking throughout the movie, eating food loudly, etc. The movie theater experience is way worse than the at home experience IMO.

My truck has a pretty good sound system. I used to live next to a drive in in WA. I could watch the movies from the parking lot and get the sound through the radio.

We got tickets to see a drive in movie next week. I figure it is just something different. Doubt that it'll become a regular thing for us but it'll be fun every once in a while. Don't remember the last time I went to a movie theatre either.

my last two movie theatre experiences were awesome

leather recliner seats, micro brew beers on tap, the only person in the theater was me, watched "Dunkirk" and "1917" both of which were great on the big screen with the killer sound system.

Is it a business model that will survive? Probably not.

Would I go again post covid? Absolutely - especially if mid week to a movie that's been out for awhile.

but no I would not invest.....

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    my last two movie theatre experiences were awesome

leather recliner seats, micro brew beers on tap, the only person in the theater was me, watched "Dunkirk" and "1917" both of which were great on the big screen with the killer sound system.

Is it a business model that will survive? Probably not.

Would I go again post covid? Absolutely - especially if mid week to a movie that's been out for awhile.

but no I would not invest.....
    “the only person in the theatre was me” suggests the model wasn’t working before. The problem with luxury theatres is, IMO, the diminishing stream of theatrical releases of interest to those beyond their 20s.

Oh I'm not saying it was working....just adding in some thread drift about not swearing off watching movies in theaters prior to the business model collapsing - this may be the best time to go!

Sound. Watching Dunkirk in a IMAX theater was god damn awesome. The scenes with the Stuka Dive bombers and wailing sirens were soooo loud, my ears were ringing.

Anyways, movie theaters experience is different from home viewing. Some people, including myself, love going to the movies.

Sound. Watching Dunkirk in a IMAX theater was god damn awesome. The scenes with the Stuka Dive bombers and wailing sirens were soooo loud, my ears were ringing.

Anyways, movie theaters experience is different from home viewing. Some people, including myself, love going to the movies.
    Guess I'm an outlier. I really don't like loud theaters or concerts. I'm genetically predisposed towards hearing loss so I'm paranoid about things being too loud.

I did have a good experience at Alamo Draft House. They solve for most of my complaints.

Guess I'm an outlier. I really don't like loud theaters or concerts. I'm genetically predisposed towards hearing loss so I'm paranoid about things being too loud.

I did have a good experience at Alamo Draft House. They solve for most of my complaints.
    Seattle has a 21+, reserve seating theater. Not as fancy as Alamo Draft House, but simply serving booze and removing kids is a game changer, imo.

That sounds like a living hell. Loud anything is a nightmare for me.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That sounds like a living hell. Loud anything is a nightmare for me.
    You would not have been a Hendrix fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Ha!

How many Vietnam vets does it take to replace a lightbulb?
    That's right, you don't know. YOU WEREN'T THERE!

Will there be any big market moves after the Earnings reports come out this next few weeks?

X

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Will there be any big market moves after the Earnings reports come out this next few weeks?
    many are predicting that but I seriously doubt it.

in the past month it's been a daily parade of companies going bankrupt, terrible economic reports and each week another 3 million jobless(or more), yet the s+p hovers between 2800 and 3000 like magic(or the fed having poured trillions in).

very doubtful anyone's one day terrible earnings report changes that. best bet imo is the next gdp report. even though the predictions are already historically bad and any beating them will be taken as good news; when you see a 25% drop in gdp for a quarter; that's going to be a bucket of cold water.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Is the stock market going to tank?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    June quarterly expiration is the front month now and it’s a long month with 20 trading days left. Recall that the March fireworks were almost entirely on quarterly expiration week regardless of news. Volatility premium is still high considering where the indexes are.

Risk is coming back to currency. Yuen/$ is near its multi year low so there could be trouble with EM currency and the HK dollar peg.