Page 319 of 326 FirstFirst ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,975 of 8144
    US in better shape than EU or Asia imo. Others here much better than I at bond selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Where would you put 50% of your portfolio now if you wanted to keep it safe(ish) for retirement. Or, at least safe for the next 2yrs (after election cycle). I'd like to lock up some of these gains. This is stuck in my 401k options

Bonds? - US or Global are my options
    Treasury Money Market?
    "Stable Value"?
    Have you been rebalancing every year? That is probably the right compromise for locking in gains vs trying to time the market which almost always fails and leaves more money on the table.

Assuming you are 2 years to retirement, you are already probably pretty close to 60/40 stocks/bonds but you still have a 20+ year timeframe of investing to manage. I especially wouldn't try and get cute that close to retirement either.

Otherwise US treasuries would get my vote as well. I would prefer muni bonds but you are working in a 401k so no real benefit there.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Gold & oil also up...this really is looking like the everything bubble.
    Microsoft at it again

Name:  msft.png
Views: 513
Size:  66.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Have you been rebalancing every year? That is probably the right compromise for locking in gains vs trying to time the market which almost always fails and leaves more money on the table.

Assuming you are 2 years to retirement, you are already probably pretty close to 60/40 stocks/bonds but you still have a 20+ year timeframe of investing to manage. I especially wouldn't try and get cute that close to retirement either.

Otherwise US treasuries would get my vote as well. I would prefer muni bonds but you are working in a 401k so no real benefit there.
    54yrs old - could retire once I figure medical out - but enjoy the job and the benefits
    Have been on top of it, so re-balancing as needed. Currently have 30% in company stock (big bank, flat lined price, but good dividends) and only 5% in bonds (safety net only), rest is a small mix of various market funds (S&P, NASDAQ, International, etc.)

Thinking of going 20% in company stock - 50% in US Treasuries and 30% in general market mix

Is the stock market going to tank?

ďTreasuryĒ is a broad spectrum. With inverted yield curve and your stated need (two years) I donít see any benefit to owning the long end for you.

My opinion is that short rates are going to fall, perhaps a lot, so a two year note might provide a pretty decent return.

https://money.usnews.com/funds/etfs/...ort-government

Im heavy in bond fund with duration at 5 and 7 years which is relatively long. Iím sticking with them but would go shorter with any substantial new money.

I'm personally pretty wary of putting 20-30% in one company, but the dividend play on a blue chip is probably the best way to do it if you do.
    Live Free or Die

There is no way I would ever have 20% of my portfolio tied up in a single company, especially the company that I work for. It's pretty much the worst thing you can do, especially that close to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    There is no way I would ever have 20% of my portfolio tied up in a single company, especially the company that I work for. It's pretty much the worst thing you can do, especially that close to retirement.
    This X2. I also would not go 95/5 stock/bond allocation.

YMMV obviously.

For those planning on retirement soon, you may consider the "bond tent" theory - Google it - which is basically to start with a higher than generally-recommended bond allocation (eg maybe 25/75 stock/bond), and gradually reallocate over 10 years or so, to a generally recommended allocation (eg maybe 50/50). Theory is to try to avoid a bad sequence of returns early in retirement.

No guarantees in any investment strategy obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    2y notes still offer decent yield

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My parents said they just received an offer of %4 on a savings account, $50k maximum from their local credit union. Seems too good to be true, Iíll check it out more but how can they be offering that much over treasury?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    My parents said they just received an offer of %4 on a savings account, $50k maximum from their local credit union. Seems too good to be true, Iíll check it out more but how can they be offering that much over treasury?
    Money market acct? Iím getting 3.14 at Merrill which thought was pretty good. Acts like checking acct.
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 06-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.

My parents said they just received an offer of %4 on a savings account, $50k maximum from their local credit union. Seems too good to be true, I’ll check it out more but how can they be offering that much over treasury?
    What credit union? I've heard of rewards checking accounts offering high yields, but you have to make X number of debit card purchases per month and have direct deposit.

A Colorado judgement lien on real estate will net 8% a year. Granted you need to foreclose, or wait for a sale, but that's easy and can't be beat. I'm just waiting for all the evil cunts who haven't paid me to cry when they or their family goes to sell, or I decide to get feisty.

Sounds like a brokerage deal, no?

I dumped some cash into Wealthfronts savings plan. It just bumped up to 2.51. I'm holding it there to pay college stuff.

France 10Y turned negative yield today. US back below 2%.

Jeff Bezos has made $17.4 million dollars a day, everyday, for the last 25 years.

So what is "the" gauge for Mutual Funds these days? is it still morningstar ratings? are there other metrics for finding good funds?
    "Can't you see..."

WSJ:

"In America, older workers have been responsible for just about all of the net employment expansion over the last recovery. From 2007 to 2018, the number of prime-age employees has grown by a mere 300,000--that is, by +0.3%."

Geezers rejoining the work force

WSJ:

"In America, older workers have been responsible for just about all of the net employment expansion over the last recovery. From 2007 to 2018, the number of prime-age employees has grown by a mere 300,000--that is, by +0.3%."

Geezers rejoining the work force
    Or maybe people 54-60 who got pink slipped.

Netflix moving after hours

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    So what is "the" gauge for Mutual Funds these days? is it still morningstar ratings? are there other metrics for finding good funds?
    Haven't you heard? No one is buying mutual funds anymore. It's been proven countless times that it is impossible to beat the market consistently, so index funds and low cost ETFs have taken over. VTSAX is a great option if you are looking for exposure to US equities. VBTLX for US bond market and VTWSX for international equities.

WeWork Co-Founder Has Cashed Out at Least $700 Million Via Sales, Loans - WSJ

God bless. Shouldíve pulled twice that amount out.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

groupon 2.0

PNTV coming back from the dead.. ran from just under .02 a month ago up to close at .0574 today. 52 week high is .083. All with a stop sign and no big official news. But they finally outsourced grow ops to some dudes who actually know what they are doing, and are posting IG pics of the early build stages in Argentina.

France 10Y turned negative yield today. US back below 2%.
    How does that even work? You invest $110 to get $100 back? That can't be a good sign.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    How does that even work? You invest $110 to get $100 back? That can't be a good sign.
    Quantitative easing: you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.