Page 495 of 729 FirstFirst ... 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 ... LastLast
Results 12,351 to 12,375 of 18222
    Long-Term McCapital. Risky.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

It’s pretty funny I’m the person Benny was complaining about upthread. It is like gambling, and just like gambling there are ways to increase your odds of success.
    In gambling aren’t “odds” always the same? J/k...semantics. The reason the market is different is you make your own rules for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    In gambling aren’t “odds” always the same? J/k...semantics. The reason the market is different is you make your own rules for the game.
    I like that, when I wrote that thought I did think about gambling in it’s purest form is percentages. Like you say, they don’t change on a basic level, the market is entirely different.

If you are prepared to lose it all, using leverage is one way to do that. You increase the potential money you might win on a trade, that’s true. But you also amplify what you can lose.

The problem is, you can win for several days and feel great about it, so there’s no way you’ll stop and pull your money out. And then all it takes is one sharp downturn to wipe you out.

Don’t get me wrong, sharp people make lots of money using leverage and trading options. But beginners almost always lose trying to play that game.

Bob fwiw the majority ( 90%) of my portfolio is a cash account which I effectively don't trade except for rebalancing).

10% is margin and for these more exotic play ideas I post as thought and real life experiments.

Margin is nice until it isn't. My margin account is at IB per what 4matic said

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Bro. Just.... No.
    I will echo this sentiment...

I like that, when I wrote that thought I did think about gambling in it’s purest form is percentages. Like you say, they don’t change on a basic level, the market is entirely different.
    It depends on if you’re gambling on cards or horses.
    U.P.: up

Camping World's earnings report came out looking good after hours yesterday. Bought it 4/13 at $7.22, sold it last night after hours for $13.30, score! Picked up Bed Bath and Beyond this morning, hoping for a score on that as well.
    Glad I bought BBBY, it's the only thing holding my portfolio up!

I've dug my heels in on CVX and XOM. To the abyss!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I know that feeling, I'm holding XOM, MRO, and CLB. All way off...

Still you're getting paid a nice dividend to wait

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Ha! Same here, but it's a long play, and they're paying you to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Still you're getting paid a nice dividend to wait

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Let's hope they continue to pay it...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Glad I bought BBBY, it's the only thing holding my portfolio up!
    That’s a sweet score. I’d sell quickly at that price.

I bought CHEF right after it dropped 14% on 9/21. Another bump or two like today, please. If they want to keep teasing the stimulus deal another week, that’s fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    That’s a sweet score. I’d sell quickly at that price.

My original intention was to sell at $16.40, I bought in at $6.40. I’m now thinking a bit longer. They’ve done nothing but made good moves since this all began, hiring a lot of new management, and even this week moving to provide same day shipping. I made a mistake taking profit on CWH at $13.30 and then watched it move to $30+. Gonna hang out for another quarterly and see how it goes.

My original intention was to sell at $16.40, I bought in at $6.40. I’m now thinking a bit longer. They’ve done nothing but made good moves since this all began, hiring a lot of new management, and even this week moving to provide same day shipping. I made a mistake taking profit on CWH at $13.30 and then watched it move to $30+. Gonna hang out for another quarterly and see how it goes.
    Yeah, I always sell too soon. Although I used to have the opposite problem of riding stocks into the ground. Come to think of it, I still do both of those things. Sell my winners too early and ride my losers all the way down.

Well, shit, looks like Trump testing positive is likely going to foil my carefully laid plans. Dow futures down 450 points on the news. Not sure why it matters, since it appeared like the market had accepted a likely Biden win, anyway, based on the debate results (which Biden clearly won).

Ah, well, guess I’ll have to ride it out. A stimulus package or vaccine will surely come in the next few months.

Trump getting the 'ronna is going to send the markets into a panic. Futures are already down.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Two fears: if he gets sick we move toward lockdown, and if he doesn't get sick we move toward herd mentality with lower compliance and more contentiousness. Seems like most people are afraid of one of these possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Trump getting the 'ronna is going to send the markets into a panic. Futures are already down.
    Meh, the market will absorb the news and move on.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

.... or ...... the megalodon of scavengers will wreak havoc.

Could go either way.

Wow, what a wild ride. My portfolio was down 5% at the open. Now it’s actually up 0.5%. All my food service stocks (SYY, USFD, PFGC, CHEF) have turned green. Maybe getting a little closer to a stimulus deal?

I don't think we will get a stimulus deal. GOP has to choose if they want the Supreme Court seat now or a stimulus plan. They won't get both IMHO. Right now everybody is positioning themselves so that they can plausibly blame the other party for whatever happens between now and election day.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Wow, what a wild ride. My portfolio was down 5% at the open. Now it’s actually up 0.5%. All my food service stocks (SYY, USFD, PFGC, CHEF) have turned green. Maybe getting a little closer to a stimulus deal?
    Same here, dip and now I'm up 3.2%. Even all my energy stocks are moving up, after days of downward movement.

Pelosi put out a statement that probably triggered the turnaround.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Same here, dip and now I'm up 3.2%. Even all my energy stocks are moving up, after days of downward movement.
    Speaking of energy stocks, I noticed LONE was down something like 12% yesterday to -0.207. So on an impulse I bought 1000 shares. Later in the day I decided I really didn’t want to be invested in penny stocks so I sold it (and actually made a dollar or so). Today it is up 65%.