Page 304 of 729 FirstFirst ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,600 of 18218
    the alternative approach they have taken is to buy all our real estate with made up money

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    the alternative approach they have taken is to buy all our real estate with made up money

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    WaPo article on that topic from a couple days ago: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.6addb7fa7874

clifs notes version: china can makes things difficult but their percentage share of production has gone from high 90's in 2010 to I think 71% now. That, coupled with difficulties they would have regulating trade in the materials, make the whole thing less likely to be a huge problem than most believe.
    thanks for the article- yea that is a lot better % than I recalled (90's+ %)

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I've never seen glengarry Glen ross but iI know it's a classic and it's one of my bestie's favorite movies so I'm putting it high on the viewing list
    skid luxury

You should. Still the best two minutes Alec Baldwin ever had in his life.

Yeah, it was a great play and a great movie.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I watched it recently after people here were raving about it in some thread. About 20 minutes into the movie my wife was like, WTF are you watching this shit? I couldn’t answer, ha. Right before she said that I was thinking how I wasted my money renting it. Frat boy shit.

Well shot, well acted: sure. Beyond that I have no idea why people like the characters.

they don't like the fucking characters.

It really isn't a movie, it's better understood as a play that was put on screen. It's a character piece, a small slice of weird situation. And yeah, you are absolutely not supposed to like anyone, there is no hero, no true main character you fall for.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

But "frat boy shit"? Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    they don't like the fucking characters.
    If I stuck with it and watched the whole thing, yeah, most likely I’d get the appeal of it all (not saying I’d actually like it though) and understand what the writer was trying to say, but I really fucking hated the first 20 minutes. I didn’t give it a chance at all. And I’m fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    It was depressing to me, kind of like Death of a Salesman in the portrayal of a futile struggle. The underbelly of capitalism.
    That's exactly what it is. Death of a Salesman is a good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But "frat boy shit"? Wut?
    Alec Baldwin's character has been taken as a template for a certain subset of finance/sales bros. Much like Gordon Gekko from Wall Street or anything from American Psycho, meant to be parody, has been taken as a template.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Alec Baldwin's character has been taken as a template for a certain subset of finance/sales bros. Much like Gordon Gekko from Wall Street or anything from American Psycho, meant to be parody, has been taken as a template.
    That makes sense, but while his 5 minutes on screen were powerful, it just seemed an odd way to characterize the movie.

France 10y bond turned negative yield intraday. First time ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Still no one with the balls to play in the beyond meat trade. I thought when it retraced from 150 or so it was lights out and the shorts would pile in, but it hit 200 today.

US TY 1.99%.

Gold & oil also up...this really is looking like the everything bubble.

Where would you put 50% of your portfolio now if you wanted to keep it safe(ish) for retirement. Or, at least safe for the next 2yrs (after election cycle). I'd like to lock up some of these gains. This is stuck in my 401k options

Bonds? - US or Global are my options
    Treasury Money Market?
    "Stable Value"?

2y notes still offer decent yield

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Where would you put 50% of your portfolio now if you wanted to keep it safe(ish) for retirement. Or, at least safe for the next 2yrs (after election cycle). I'd like to lock up some of these gains. This is stuck in my 401k options

Bonds? - US or Global are my options
    Treasury Money Market?
    "Stable Value"?
    Have you been rebalancing every year? That is probably the right compromise for locking in gains vs trying to time the market which almost always fails and leaves more money on the table.

Assuming you are 2 years to retirement, you are already probably pretty close to 60/40 stocks/bonds but you still have a 20+ year timeframe of investing to manage. I especially wouldn't try and get cute that close to retirement either.

Otherwise US treasuries would get my vote as well. I would prefer muni bonds but you are working in a 401k so no real benefit there.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Have you been rebalancing every year? That is probably the right compromise for locking in gains vs trying to time the market which almost always fails and leaves more money on the table.

Assuming you are 2 years to retirement, you are already probably pretty close to 60/40 stocks/bonds but you still have a 20+ year timeframe of investing to manage. I especially wouldn't try and get cute that close to retirement either.

Otherwise US treasuries would get my vote as well. I would prefer muni bonds but you are working in a 401k so no real benefit there.
    54yrs old - could retire once I figure medical out - but enjoy the job and the benefits
    Have been on top of it, so re-balancing as needed. Currently have 30% in company stock (big bank, flat lined price, but good dividends) and only 5% in bonds (safety net only), rest is a small mix of various market funds (S&P, NASDAQ, International, etc.)

Thinking of going 20% in company stock - 50% in US Treasuries and 30% in general market mix

Is the stock market going to tank?

“Treasury” is a broad spectrum. With inverted yield curve and your stated need (two years) I don’t see any benefit to owning the long end for you.

My opinion is that short rates are going to fall, perhaps a lot, so a two year note might provide a pretty decent return.

https://money.usnews.com/funds/etfs/...ort-government

Im heavy in bond fund with duration at 5 and 7 years which is relatively long. I’m sticking with them but would go shorter with any substantial new money.

I'm personally pretty wary of putting 20-30% in one company, but the dividend play on a blue chip is probably the best way to do it if you do.
    Live Free or Die

There is no way I would ever have 20% of my portfolio tied up in a single company, especially the company that I work for. It's pretty much the worst thing you can do, especially that close to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    There is no way I would ever have 20% of my portfolio tied up in a single company, especially the company that I work for. It's pretty much the worst thing you can do, especially that close to retirement.
    This X2. I also would not go 95/5 stock/bond allocation.

YMMV obviously.

For those planning on retirement soon, you may consider the "bond tent" theory - Google it - which is basically to start with a higher than generally-recommended bond allocation (eg maybe 25/75 stock/bond), and gradually reallocate over 10 years or so, to a generally recommended allocation (eg maybe 50/50). Theory is to try to avoid a bad sequence of returns early in retirement.

No guarantees in any investment strategy obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.