Page 681 of 688 FirstFirst ... 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,025 of 17186
  1. #17001
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    Good to see the dollar getting hit the day before a holiday and a long weekend. It enforces the trend lower. Same with crude oil.

  2. #17002
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    The dollar is a bit weaker bouncing around a four month low. Another momentum move takes DXY to 100 which is a long term pivot. Thatís bullish
    For stocks and bonds.

  3. #17003
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    3,051
    Anyone have experience with something called "Supplemental Benefit Group Retirement Plan" as part of the 401k plan? Wife started new job and they have an option to exceed the annual personal contribution limit by taking a fixed amount of pay and putting it in the 401k. They decide the amount and it goes up a little each year. Can not ever opt out and unlikely to have options to join later. She only works 50%, so amount is about 10% of pay, significant hit but seems like a good opportunity. I suppose she could reduce elective contribution by that amount and after seeing we are still on track for other goals(and not living on rice and beans), go back to maxing yearly elective contribution.

  4. #17004
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    10y note back to the June high.

  5. #17005
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    4,598
    My account has been mostly sideways the last month or so, little bit of a bump from J Powell’s comments yesterday.

    Hoping those beaten down tech/growth stuff I’ve bought in the last month or so come to fruition. AMD has been one of my winners, wish I’d bought more than 20 shares at $58.12. I hope Summit bought a fair amount of RIO, my 14 shares bought when he recommended them have done well.

    I’m up to $403.29/month in dividends now. Set an order to sell a put on O for Jan 20 @$57.50 for .55, if filled that should bump me up to $429/month. If not, I’ll keep the $55.

  6. #17006
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    20,681
    Glad the RIO is working! I bought a whole bunch of it in the 50s. I grabbed a small amount of GOOG and AMZN around 90, thank you on that.

    Whoever suggested FLNG a ways back, thank you, that's been doing great.

    I wish my INTC wasn't doing so badly... but at least I didn't dump it in the mid 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  7. #17007
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    10y and DXY both closed at 6 month lows and on the lows of the week.

    Well done BobMc. Keep those dividends rolling. $5k a year now!

  8. #17008
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    DJIA is unch yoy. Down 5% ytd. Could easily close plus on the year.

  9. #17009
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    20 month low in gasoline futures.

  10. #17010
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    3,051
    Up we go! I'm thinking S&P low for year was in Oct. Seeing lots of mountain bike stuff on sale, so obviously inflation is done :-)

  11. #17011
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    20 month low in gasoline futures.
    Do you like MRO now?

  12. #17012
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Do you like MRO now?
    Itís not the kind of stock I buy and donít have an opinion. I liked oil stocks in general when crude was $30 because with dividends you got all your money back in less than years.

  13. #17013
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347
    Quarterly expiration this week

  14. #17014
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It’s not the kind of stock I buy and don’t have an opinion. I liked oil stocks in general when crude was $30 because with dividends you got all your money back in less than years.
    Noted

  15. #17015
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,730
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Do you like MRO now?
    MRO will get bought. Iím still long
    Decisions Decisions

  16. #17016
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    4,598
    MRO was one of the first stocks I bought when I started investing in April 2020. Iíd bought 100 shares of CWH at $7.22 and sold them for $13.30 three weeks later. Bought 100 shares of MRO at $5.60 with the profit, bought 22 more shares over the next couple months and then stopped buying other than DRIP.

    I wish Iíd bought more while crude was still struggling. Iíve made $125.70 selling calls and puts on my shares the last couple years. The last time I tried to buy more was last July when I sold a put with a strike of $22, I took the easy way out and made $40 without being assigned.

    If it gets to $30 again I plan on selling another call on it. I still want out of it to move the money into something with more yield.

    Attachment 438188

    The sector is highly susceptible to the cyclical nature of the price of oil, if you want to invest in E&P companies you probably want to do a lot of reading on sites like oilprice.com. Different companies have different strategies on where to invest, MRO is big in Texas, and internationally in Equatorial Guinea. It all boils down to the cost per barrel, some places obviously are better than others. Personally if I was looking into a E&P company right now Iíd side with XOM or CVX, both offer a better yield and better propects.

    The main reason I want out of MRO is that I want to take some profits on an equity Iím long and paying no taxes on capital gains and then move that money into a midstream to enhance dividend/distribution income.

  17. #17017
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In Full Compliance
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks for this discussion. I am divested from fossil fuels IRL for individual stocks but of course they are in the mutuals I still own. For my fictional portfolio I think MRO is a buy

  18. #17018
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,730
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    MRO was one of the first stocks I bought when I started investing in April 2020. Iíd bought 100 shares of CWH at $7.22 and sold them for $13.30 three weeks later. Bought 100 shares of MRO at $5.60 with the profit, bought 22 more shares over the next couple months and then stopped buying other than DRIP.

    I wish Iíd bought more while crude was still struggling. Iíve made $125.70 selling calls and puts on my shares the last couple years. The last time I tried to buy more was last July when I sold a put with a strike of $22, I took the easy way out and made $40 without being assigned.

    If it gets to $30 again I plan on selling another call on it. I still want out of it to move the money into something with more yield.

    Attachment 438188

    The sector is highly susceptible to the cyclical nature of the price of oil, if you want to invest in E&P companies you probably want to do a lot of reading on sites like oilprice.com. Different companies have different strategies on where to invest, MRO is big in Texas, and internationally in Equatorial Guinea. It all boils down to the cost per barrel, some places obviously are better than others. Personally if I was looking into a E&P company right now Iíd side with XOM or CVX, both offer a better yield and better propects.

    The main reason I want out of MRO is that I want to take some profits on an equity Iím long and paying no taxes on capital gains and then move that money into a midstream to enhance dividend/distribution income.
    Bmc. You donít need midstream for income anymore. Just something to think about.
    Decisions Decisions

  19. #17019
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,495
    Picked up some Eni a while back and itís been nice. Currently a 6+% dividend plus as one of the original investors they are (or were) the largest owner of commonwealth fusion.

  20. #17020
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    12,081
    Top of the bracket again.

  21. #17021
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Bmc. You donít need midstream for income anymore. Just something to think about.
    Sorry, i don't understand what you're saying

    Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

  22. #17022
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,795
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Sorry, i don't understand what you're saying
    He's saying if you sell your Gazprom you can buy other income yielding investments that don't carry the same downside risks. Because interest rates have gone up.

  23. #17023
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,347

    Is the stock market going to tank?

    2yn yield getting smashed. Doesnít believe Fed.

    Or, perhaps they do believe the Fed and the economy gonna get choked to submission.
    Last edited by 4matic; 12-16-2022 at 12:49 PM.

  24. #17024
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,730

    Is the stock market going to tank?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Or, perhaps they do believe the Fed and the economy gonna get choked to submission.
    this

    I gave my year end 2023 guesstimates on wedsÖfed funds 3.5, IG spreads 168, 2-10 -110.
    Decisions Decisions

  25. #17025
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    12,081
    Going to bottom of bracket again

Similar Threads

  1. Who voted for Bush/Cheney in '00 or '04?
    By Bud Green in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 12:44 AM
  2. Risotto Recipes - What you got?
    By skiaholik in forum The Padded Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM
  3. Did American Ski Company get delisted from the stock market?
    By Free Range Lobster in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 07:13 AM
  4. Bear Activists Killed and Eaten by Bears in Katmai
    By Lane Meyer in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •