Page 332 of 337 FirstFirst ... 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 8413
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

And it all works until it doesn't.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I took that as pretty much his point.

So did I. I can't believe we all agree on something in TGR.

You gotta pay for the talcum powder up the hoo-hoo lawsuits some way.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This is fine. https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/fe...ol-rates-again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

...Oh, and for those wondering why the Fed did a repo, the answer is simple: it did not want to launch QE just yet. But make no mistake, once repo is insufficient, the Fed will have no choice but to escalate to the next step which is open market purchases.

Which brings us to the bigger question of how long such overnight repos will satisfy the market, and how long before the next repo rate spike prompts the Fed to do the inevitable, and restart QE.

At least president Trump will be delighted...

Thing is, Fed has a lot of options to sustain liquidity in certain markets. They can buy ES futures outright if things get really bad. From my perspective the equity markets are controlled by futures, which are controlled by rolling gamma exposure (https://twitter.com/SqueezeMetrics/with_replies). As long as gamma is positive it will collar the ES/RTY/NQ/YM futures, which will drive SPY & the overall equity complex.

Repo inversion above FFR (I think that's the calc., could be wrong) just means large financial institutions pay a tax on daily liquidity. Not something that will trigger bankruptcies overnight but just drain liquidity from those firms via losses on daily liquidity maintenance. So if the Fed takes a week or whatever but eventually sets up a standing repo facility it will largely cure that problem.

The broader issue is that, at max employment & near all time equity highs, the base infrastructure of the financial system is groaning under the weight of high leverage amid paltry liquidity/risk appetite. A core principle of the Austrians & more conservative economists out there is that sustained high leverage like we have now is a proy for exceptionally high fragility & susceptibility to Keynes' famed deflationary debt spiral. Think of it as variability in a random walk in a field (no biggie) vs at the edge of a cliff (requires obsessive risk mgmt).

some non-ZH press

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chaot...160538207.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/busin...fed/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Thing is, Fed has a lot of options to sustain liquidity in certain markets. They can buy ES futures outright if things get really bad. From my perspective the equity markets are controlled by futures, which are controlled by rolling gamma exposure (https://twitter.com/SqueezeMetrics/with_replies). As long as gamma is positive it will collar the ES/RTY/NQ/YM futures, which will drive SPY & the overall equity complex.

Repo inversion above FFR (I think that's the calc., could be wrong) just means large financial institutions pay a tax on daily liquidity. Not something that will trigger bankruptcies overnight but just drain liquidity from those firms via losses on daily liquidity maintenance. So if the Fed takes a week or whatever but eventually sets up a standing repo facility it will largely cure that problem.

The broader issue is that, at max employment & near all time equity highs, the base infrastructure of the financial system is groaning under the weight of high leverage amid paltry liquidity/risk appetite. A core principle of the Austrians & more conservative economists out there is that sustained high leverage like we have now is a proy for exceptionally high fragility & susceptibility to Keynes' famed deflationary debt spiral. Think of it as variability in a random walk in a field (no biggie) vs at the edge of a cliff (requires obsessive risk mgmt).

some non-ZH press

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chaot...160538207.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/busin...fed/index.html
    This helped me understand a lot, after I read the linked articles.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    This helped me understand a lot, after I read the linked articles.
    Try this read.

https://twitter.com/allenf32/status/...302523904?s=19

That’s it, I’m selling all of the real estate and going short on cocaine manufacturing futures.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That’s it, I’m selling all of the real estate and going short on cocaine manufacturing futures.
    I would go long CBD, and also on synthetic oxy, with a dash of fentanyl as a hedge.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Something gotta give. Typically break higher:

Last 6 days of $SPX closes since the ECB cut rates and now that the Fed has cut again:

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I would go long CBD, and also on synthetic oxy, with a dash of fentanyl as a hedge.
    Don't forget some Bitcoin! It's also part of a well balanced breakf^H^H^H^H^H^Hportfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Where would one park a ton of cash? MM? CDs? Savings?
    Fuck it, I parked it in a boat. I doubt I'll miss the $ when I'm 80 and eating pureed carrots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Something gotta give. Typically break higher:

Last 6 days of $SPX closes since the ECB cut rates and now that the Fed has cut again:

If you push the gas and get no extra vroom when you are already going vroom, then don't keep pushing.

I'm worried that if things shit the bed, there is less room to push the gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Fuck it, I parked it in a boat. I doubt I'll miss the $ when I'm 80 and eating pureed carrots.
    Attachment 294560

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't forget some Bitcoin! It's also part of a well balanced breakf^H^H^H^H^H^Hportfolio!
    Wrong thread, JONG!

Good (for me) to see rates move lower after fed meeting. It won’t take much to retest the previous lows in treasury. I don’t have an exit plan yet..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Down 8% yoy:

The Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX) is the largest actively managed mutual fund in the world, with more than $134 billion in assets under management (AUM) as of Oct.19, 2018. It is among the most widely held funds by 401(k) plans and other retirement plans.

Uh oh...this along with yield inversions is not a good sign

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1W91XJ
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Consumer is always the last to go. Good day for bonds

do what charlie says.

(notice how he is in the center, and the last to speak)

c'mon now

StokePimpin' ain't easy

I <3 Caitlin. She's sharper on the mechanics of this stuff than most hedge fund managers yet has none of the ego baggage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/caitlin.../#1f44b7087caa

The closest I’ve heard a financial regulator speak publicly of this is former CFTC Chairman Chris Giancarlo, to his credit, when he answered a question after a 2016 speech:

“At the heart of the financial crisis, perhaps the most critical element was the lack of visibility into the counterparty credit exposure of one major financial institution to another. Probably the most glaring omission that needed to be addressed was that lack of visibility, and here we are in 2016 and we still don’t have it.”

This is why the FT’s interview with Williams was so extraordinary. It’s as close as a regulator will come to admitting the reality that the system doesn’t work the way most of us think it does and that the Fed may not even understand critical things about it. Specifically, the Fed’s focus on the fed funds market is misplaced because the real action is in the much bigger, much more global repo market; the Fed shouldn’t have allowed America’s big banks to pay dividends or buy back stock when they’re so capital-constrained that they can’t even pick up an 8% “risk-free” arbitrage; the Fed’s proclamation that “the financial system remains resilient,” when it released the results of the most recent bank stress tests in June 2019, strains credulity; a staggering amount of US dollar liabilities have been issued offshore in recent decades and the Fed not only doesn’t control them but can’t measure them with any degree of accuracy; and banks’ financial statements don’t accurately reflect their financial health. No one really knows how solvent (insolvent?) the financial system is.