Page 325 of 729 FirstFirst ... 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,125 of 18218
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You stated you do not want to "lose money" in the HSA - I assume you mean short term? i.e., you want to have the HSA money available to pay med bills in the next couple of months/years?
    Low risk tolerance, minimize principal losses if the market crashes. For now, I just want it to earn enough interest that the current value isn't being slowly eaten away by inflation. I'm going to max out contributions this year, but that's all going to go towards my wife's upcoming knee replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Low risk tolerance, minimize principal losses if the market crashes. For now, I just want it to earn enough interest that the current value isn't being slowly eaten away by inflation. I'm going to max out contributions this year, but that's all going to go towards my wife's upcoming knee replacement.
    If you're going to spend the HSA money in the short term (planned knee surgery), then you probably just want to keep it in a money market account. Inflation is around 2% currently, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There's a no-interest payment plan set up for the surgery, which is going to cost us a little under $7k. Contributions will go in, payments will go out, and the current balance should remain basically unchanged throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's a no-interest payment plan set up for the surgery, which is going to cost us a little under $7k. Contributions will go in, payments will go out, and the current balance should remain basically unchanged throughout the year.
    But to clarify - you want to be able to pull from the full balance if need be?

If I'm interpreting your want/need for this correctly, you should avoid equities for this money.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But to clarify - you want to be able to pull from the full balance if need be?
    Yes, separate individual/family deductibles, so if me and/or the kid get mangled in a car wreck or something I want to have access to the money that's currently there.

I would go money market then as others have stated.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by mf45e0 View Post
    You can get 8.6% on GUSD or USDC (digital USD stablecoins) on blockfi deposits. They pay 6.2% on BTC deposits up to 10BTC as well. Probably not an option for funds specific to HSA but there are decent yield options for cash.

fwiw I use em & have had good service. They're a mid-age startup based in NYC.
    May I suggest instead investing with Wu Tang Financial?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	780.7 KB 
ID:	311833
    skid luxury

Is the stock market going to tank?

10y low XOM

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    10y low XOM
    You sure about that? Not from what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by mcove View Post
    You sure about that? Not from what I see.
    Previous monthly low in 2010

Is the stock market going to tank?

Test of the breakout at SP 3000 is nothing. Might not get there. AAPL earnings tomorrow will likely provide a pivot either way. Lots of large cap stocks are breaking down so the indexes badly need the four horseman to carry the load.

Edit: I suppose there could be another rotational correction with the switch to value finally happening.
    Last edited by 4matic; 01-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.

If a person had around 20k to move from an employer into a private fund what you people smarter than I suggest. The only thing is they want it to be almost immediately available to draw from if necessary but would like a nice chance at return.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    If a person had around 20k to move from an employer into a private fund what you people smarter than I suggest. The only thing is they want it to be almost immediately available to draw from if necessary but would like a nice chance at return.
    IME, ultra-low fee broad market funds outperform (net costs and fees) everything else in the long term, unless you get lucky with a flyer. Re immediate withdrawal, that's a tax issue. General rule is that a penalty applies if you withdraw from a qualified plan or IRA before age 59-1/2 -- so, the question is "move to where?"

Not clear. What is the time frame for withdrawal? If less than five years brokerage are now offering high cash value accounts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bar...de-51565291732

Rules:

Define your time frame
    Define your risk.

Switching timeframe and risk profile is one if the biggest mistakes investors make.

Are we talking Employer Sponsored plan (Qualified assets)? Or some other deferred comp arrangement?

Your ability to move into private fund or immediately withdraw depends on these factors, assuming you don't want to pay taxes/penalties.

If you might need to immediately withdraw all of the the funds you should probably stick with a money market. Gains in a volatile market rely on your ability tonride out the ups and downs. Any discount brokerage should do if you are moving from a 401k to a IRA but you didn't say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The 20k is after the tax hit and plan to use it as an emergency fund...that’s why the ability to reasonably quickly withdraw is a must.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

The 20k is after the tax hit and plan to use it as an emergency fund...that’s why the ability to reasonably quickly withdraw is a must.
    Yeah... emergency funds should be cash or cash-equivalent stuff.

Perhaps Bitcoin?

Any way you can talk them into NOT taking the tax hit, rolling it into an IRA and *properly* funding an emergency fund with saved cash?

Maybe check out the capital one 360 performance savings account. 1.7% currently and you can make up to 6 withdrawals a month without penalty.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Avoid investment hubris. Look what it did to TSLA shorts. There is no holy grail.

more droppage coming me thinks, bat/rat virus hasn't been resolved yet; 3200 s+p is my guess.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by m376brkyaip View Post
    Timestamp it...

no asset will match the risk/return profile of BTC.

step 1: deposit $20k on Gemini, buy BTC @ 0.25% fee
    step 2: open Blockfi account
    step 3: send BTC to Blockfi interest bearing account @ 6.2%/yr (paid monthly in BTC)
    step 4: compound both BTC terms and USD value

^^this trade or similar is something that could be part of the unwind of short yen trade. Think about it, yen is repatriated to flee deteriorating high yield bonds, funneled into BTC for both the interest carry & prospective appreciation.
    1) What happened to "not your keys, not your bitcoin"?
    2) "Your Crypto Interest Account is not a checking or savings account, and it is not covered by insurance against losses. We will lend, sell, pledge, rehypothecate, assign, invest, use, commingle or otherwise dispose of funds and cryptocurrency assets to counterparties, and we will use our commercial best efforts to prevent losses. In certain jurisdictions, cryptocurrency is not legal tender, and is not backed by the government. Accounts and value balances are not subject to Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or Securities Investor Protection Corporation protections. Legislative and regulatory changes or actions at the state, federal, or international level may adversely affect the use, transfer, exchange, and value of cryptocurrency. Transactions in cryptocurrency may be irreversible, and, accordingly, losses due to fraudulent or accidental transactions may not be recoverable. "

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    more droppage coming me thinks, bat/rat virus hasn't been resolved yet; 3200 s+p is my guess.
    I don't get it why is this bat flue whatever such a big deal that it effects the stock market
    thousands of people die from the flu every year in the country