Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiDork View Post
    You're too deep for me HS. I give.

After all, I'm just a Dork. How could I ever see a big picture?

If you're the Dork, then by definition, you're missing something in your overall POV that would cause you to not get it. Not an attack, just stating the obvious.

no way it was big k. just not his style. that idiot kbubba would be the more likely culprit. he is arrogant and a pompous ass and i could def see him doing that. it's the only power he has to wield so he weilds it. just ask arlene. he is a pompous prick and the most know it all person ever to walk the earth. he needs to get over himself. what an ass. kbubba that is.

kbubba=total douchebag

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    SEE?

And I even tried to hook you up with a female friend of mine.....not that I was doing you a favor, she's quite a handful......hahaha!
    ha...yea, that was much appreciated...and when she suddenly split, i appreciated even more your closing comments.
    helped me let go and focus my depleted brain power on the drive home!

if you're around, a bunch of us will be meeting up at SS/bay1 10am sat. to hike K...

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    Let me tell you a story:

There was once a boy who was a great skier and a fun guy to chill with.

The only problem was that he liked to go on to internet message boards and act like a complete douchebag.

Before long, the people on those message boards, who had to endure his banality and didn't know what a great skier and fun guy he was in real life, came to loathe him.

The end.
    Hey, life imitates art.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Skier View Post
    no way it was big k. just not his style. that idiot kbubba would be the more likely culprit. he is arrogant and a pompous ass and i could def see him doing that. it's the only power he has to wield so he weilds it. just ask arlene. he is a pompous prick and the most know it all person ever to walk the earth. he needs to get over himself. what an ass. kbubba that is.

kbubba=total douchebag
    Hum......in all seriousness, Bubba and I had a PM conversation about my antics several months ago. He knows what I'm doing.....it brings traffic and visablity to the board if there's something entertaining going on. Thus, we had a bit of an informal agreement about it. While he may have just snapped and decided to pull the plug on me, I think he would have just told me to tone it down a notch or two.

Kahuna was the one who actively dislikes me the most, and warned me "three stikes and you're out" on thursday when I was posting 1000's of smilies in response to some of humpty's posts. I stopped in that instance, but did it again in one of my own threads, on the second page. That's why I suspect that he's the one who did it. Real good moderation, huh???

quality control if you will

Hum......in all seriousness, Bubba and I had a PM conversation about my antics several months ago. He knows what I'm doing.....it brings traffic and visablity to the board if there's something entertaining going on. Thus, we had a bit of an informal agreement about it. While he may have just snapped and decided to pull the plug on me, I think he would have just told me to tone it down a notch or two.

Kahuna was the one who actively dislikes me the most, and warned me "three stikes and you're out" on thursday when I was posting 1000's of smilies in response to some of humpty's posts. I stopped in that instance, but did it again in one of my own threads, on the second page. That's why I suspect that he's the one who did it. Real good moderation, huh???

nope. kbubba was the dbag that did you in. he doesn't like it that you know more than he does. he's a moronic pompous asswipe.

HS, no offense, but you did deserve banning considering the smilies and other things you've done (4000 Ski-off threads).

this gets my vote for worst thread of the year.

ha, looks like HS/DS is increasing traffic/new registrations here too.

so to all the new posters here:
    welcome to TGR, JONGS

let's all try to play nice

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    HS, no offense, but you did deserve banning considering the smilies and other things you've done (4000 Ski-off threads).
    Actually, no. I was playing by the rules. If they want to allow flame wars on the forum, and allow other people to go around attacking other people......I will meet the fight, and finish it. Did you ever notice that I'm not the one doing the attacking? I'm the one responding....with overkill. Nothing wrong with that, on a unmoderated board. I keep it real, and play hardball....but I play by the rules.

While I might be persistant and annoying, that doesn't make me bad or wrong. It means I want to talk about certain things, and keep talking about them until I am tired of it. If you don't like what I post, and don't want to talk to me, put me on ignore.....it really is that easy.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 05-09-2007 at 03:17 PM.

I'll admit that, although DM/HS does spout quite frequently, I'm not sure that he needs to be banned. Unless someone is threatening bodily harm or posting someone else's personal information, I think they have the right to stay and spout whatever they want. I think it's stated in one of those pesky amendments on that old US document.

Personally, I think he's entertaining and I really only read about 1/20th of his posts. I've skied with the guy a couple times and he's pretty down to earth. I'll admit that I don't like jumping off shit, so I only ski a few runs with him and move on.

JMHO.

B)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
    I'll admit that, although DM/HS does spout quite frequently, I'm not sure that he needs to be banned. Unless someone is threatening bodily harm or posting someone else's personal information, I think they have the right to stay and spout whatever they want. I think it's stated in one of those pesky amendments on that old US document.

Personally, I think he's entertaining and I really only read about 1/20th of his posts. I've skied with the guy a couple times and he's pretty down to earth. I'll admit that I don't like jumping off shit, so I only ski a few runs with him and move on.

JMHO.

B)
    B, thanks for sticking up for me and everyone else who has too....

PsyOps pwnage rocks.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but I can't post there!!!!!
    i was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not highway star. that was obviously a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    PsyOps pwnage rocks.
    Play on, Player......

Ooooooo.............post #666.........!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    i was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not highway star. that was obviously a mistake.
    Evidently, you're not keeping up with your memo reading Steve........

........hummm, What's happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around nine, that would be great. Mmmm'k? Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Ahhh... I'm gonna also need you to come in on Sunday too. We, ummm, lost some people this week and uhhh... we need to sorta play catch up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Range Lobster View Post
    Troll
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see troll (disambiguation).

Trolls with an abducted princess (John Bauer, 1915).
    Trolls with an abducted princess (John Bauer, 1915).

A troll is a fearsome member of a mythical anthropomorph race from Scandinavia. Their role ranges from fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of England (also called Trolls at times, see Troller's Gill) – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings.

Nordic literature, art and music from the romantic era and onwards has adapted trolls in various manners – often in the form of an aboriginal race, endowed with oversized ears and noses. From here, as well as from Scandinavian fairy tales such as Three Billy Goats Gruff, trolls have achieved international recognition, and in modern fantasy literature and role-playing games, trolls are featured to the extent of being stock characters.
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Scandinavian folklore
    o 1.1 Fairytales and legends
    * 2 Origin of the myth
    * 3 Nordic art, music and literature
    o 3.1 Gallery
    * 4 Trolls in America
    * 5 Modern Fiction
    * 6 References
    * 7 See also
    * 8 External links

[edit] Scandinavian folklore
    This article or section is not written in the formal tone expected of an encyclopedia article.
    Please improve it or discuss changes on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions.
    A troll woman meets a man in the forest. She looks like a young farmer woman, but her tail is peeking out under her skirt. From Svenska folksägner (1882).
    A troll woman meets a man in the forest. She looks like a young farmer woman, but her tail is peeking out under her skirt. From Svenska folksägner (1882).
    Stones with roughly man-like features could be explained by folklore as trolls petrified by sunlight or curses. This one can be seen on Hamarøy, Norway.
    Stones with roughly man-like features could be explained by folklore as trolls petrified by sunlight or curses. This one can be seen on Hamarøy, Norway.

The meaning of the word troll is uncertain. It might have had the original meaning of supernatural or magical with an overlay of malignant and perilous. Another likely suggestion is that it means "someone who behaves violently". In old Swedish law, trolleri was a particular kind of magic intended to do harm. It should be noted that North Germanic terms such as trolldom (witchcraft) and trolla/trylle (perform magic tricks) in modern Scandinavian languages does not imply any connection with the mythical beings. Moreover, in the sources for Norse mythology, troll can signify any uncanny being, including but not restricted to the Norse giants (jötnar).

In Skáldskaparmál, the poet Bragi Boddason encounters a troll-woman who hails him with this verse (in Old Norse):

Troll kalla mik
    tungl sjötrungnis,
    auðsug jötuns,
    élsólar böl,
    vilsinn völu,
    vörð náfjarðar,
    hvélsvelg himins –
    hvat's troll nema þat? [1]

They call me Troll;
    Gnawer of the Moon,
    Giant of the Gale-blasts,
    Curse of the rain-hall,
    Companion of the Sibyl,
    Nightroaming hag,
    Swallower of the loaf of heaven.
    What is a Troll but that? [2]

The ambiguous original sense of the word troll appears to have lived on for some time after the Old Norse literature was documented. This can be seen in terms such as sjötrollet (the sea troll) as a synonym for havsmannen (the sea man) – a protective spirit of the sea and a sort of male counterpart to the female sjörå (see huldra).

There are many places in Scandinavia that are named after trolls, such as the Swedish town Trollhättan (Troll's bonnet) and the legendary mountain Trollkyrka (Troll church). The most famous in Norway are Trollfjorden, Trollheimen, Trollhetta, Trollstigen, Trolltindan and Trollveggen.

Gradually, forming of two main traditions regarding the use of troll can be discerned. In the first tradition, the troll is large, brutish and a direct descendant from the Norse jötnar. They are often described as ugly or having beastly features like tusks or cyclopic eyes. This is the tradition which has come to dominate fairy tales and legends (see below), but it is also the prominent concept of troll in Norway. As a rule of thumb, what would be called a "troll" in Norway would in Denmark and Sweden be a "giant" (jætte or jätte, derived from jötunn).

In some Norwegian accounts, such as the middle age ballade Åsmund Frægdegjevar [3], the trolls live in a far northern land called Trollebotten – the concept and location of which seems to coincide with the Old Norse Jötunheimr.

The second tradition is most prominent in southern Scandinavia. Reversely, what would be called trolls in southern Sweden and Denmark would be called huldrefolk in Norway and vitterfolk in northern Sweden (see wight). The south-Scandinavian term probably originate in a generalization of the terms haugtrold (mound-troll) or bergtroll (mountain-troll), as trolls in this tradition are residents of the underground.

These trolls are very human-like in appearance. Sometimes they had a tail hidden in their clothing, but even that is not a definite. Many of these trolls had a single lock of hair that no human could comb, whereas the rest was generally messy. A frequent way of telling a human-looking troll in folklore is to look at what it is wearing: Troll women in particular were often too elegantly dressed to be human women moving around in the forest. They could attract human males to do their bidding, or simply as mates or pets. Later these would be found wandering, decades later, with no memory of what had happened to them in a troll woman's care.

More often than not, though, the trolls kept themselves invisible, and then they could travel on the winds, such as the wind-troll Ysätters-Kajsa, or sneak into human homes. Sometimes you could only hear them speak, shout and make noise, or the sound of their cattle. Similarly, if you were out in the forest and smelled food cooking, you knew you were near a troll dwelling. The trolls were also great shapeshifters, taking shapes of objects like fallen logs or animals like cats and dogs. A fairly frequent notion is that the trolls liked to appear as rolling balls of yarn.

Whereas the large, ogrish trolls often appear as a solitary being, the "small" trolls were thought to be social beings who lived together, much like humans except out in the forest. They kept animals, cooked and baked, were excellent at crafts and held great feasts. Like many other species in Scandinavian folklore, they were said to reside in underground complexes, accessible from underneath large boulders in the forests or in the mountains. These boulders could be raised upon pillars of gold. In their living quarters, they hoard gold and treasures. Opinion varied as to whether or not the trolls were thoroughly bad or not, but often they treated people as they were treated. Trolls could cause great harm if vindictive or playful, though, and regardless of other things they were always heathen. Trolls were also great thieves, and liked to steal from the food that the farmers had stored. They could enter the homes invisibly during feasts and eat from the plates so that there was not enough food, or spoil the making of beer and bread so that it failed or did not end up plentiful enough.

The trolls sometimes abducted people to live as slaves or at least prisoners among them. These poor souls were known as bergtagna ("those taken to/by the mountain"), which also is the Scandinavian word for having been spirited away. To be bergtagen does not only refer to the disappearance of the person, but also that upon returning, he or she has been struck with insanity or apathy caused by the trolls. Anyone could be taken by the trolls, even cattle, but at the greatest risk were women who had given birth but not yet been taken back to the church.

Occasionally, the trolls would even steal a new-born baby, leaving their own offspring – a (bort)byting ("changeling") – in return.

To ward off the trolls you could always trust in Christianity: Church bells, a cross or even words like "Jesus" or "Christ" would work against them. Like other Scandinavian folklore creatures they also feared steel. Apart from that they were hunted by Thor, one of the last remnants of the old Norse mythology, who threw Mjolnir, his hammer, causing lightning bolts to kill them. Though Mjolnir was supposed to return to Thor after throwing, these hammers could later be found in the earth (actually Stone Age axes) and be used as protective talismans.

Can I get the readers digest large print version of this?

Thank you muffin.
    Last edited by Andy_B; 05-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

After reading this HS/DS, I think I have headache, but I've locked my keys in the car and left my lights on, so that could explain it. Before I go correct that, I'm going to give you credit.. I'm not sure for what, just yet.. but credit is due.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Andy B = Asshat who does NOT get the joke!!!!

You know I very rarely ski on those lifted stocklis.....

Further thrunting.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    After reading this HS/DS, I think I have headache, but I've locked my keys in the car and left my lights on, so that could explain it. Before I go correct that, I'm going to give you credit.. I'm not sure for what, just yet.. but credit is due.
    Though you worry me slightly......thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

dankhucker Guest
    yep plastic is the shizzle mang

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Sorry dude, but for someone who spends so much time on here, you really do not get it either. But keep cunting away, you seem to like it.