TR: Some things change, some things stay the same (May 5-6, 07)

In more ways than one, it's been a bit of an abnormal ski season on this end of the internet. Weather and life conspired to keep things interesting and the end result was a relatively mellow five months on the snow. However, to restore a touch of order and familiarity, the annual season-ending trip to Tuckerman was back on after a one-year hiatus.

A leisurely start to the Montreal morning saw us hit the bridge out of town somewhere around 10:00 and the Pinkham Notch parking lot sometime after 14:30. Food was ate and the plan formulated. An exploratory mission up the Gulf of Slides was in order. We agreed on no expectations and a 17:00 turn-around time.

After a few odd looks and concerned questions from the half-dozen or so people we crossed on the path, we arrived at what we could only assume was the base of the Central Gully.

I guess we'll ski here.

I guess we'll ski those some other time.

The sun was off the slope and things were firming up so we skedaddled up the bootpack as quick as our little legs would take us - which, it turns out, is not that quick.

Mit setting the pace.

I have no idea why this place is called Gulf of Slides.

Given the time and changing conditions, we reached a point that we deemed to be a fine balance between macho manliness and common sense. We doffed the packs and got set for the descent.

Mit managing the steep snow.

Following the path in the shadow of greatness.

Things got a touch tighter towards the end but we soldiered on.

Mit heading down the rabbit hole.

Snow became scarse, yet we remained undaunted.

Mit likes ribbons and pretty bows.

A touch of route-finding and a sense of humour are essential.

"I think it still goes..."

After a few streams and much grass, we finally admitted defeat and got set to walk the rest of the way out.

Yes, we somehow skied to this point.

We got back to the car before 19:00 and headed back to our previously staked out campground. After a fine meal of warm ravioli and spicy italian sausages (whose after-effects would be felt at the end of the next day), we stared at fire for a bit before calling it a night.

Fire good.

Sunday morning dawning and, after the usual grumblings about cold weather, sore bodies, and faulty campstoves, we hit the Tuckerman trail. The crowds were bearable, despite some pretentious art talk from one couple who expressed surprise that anyone other than themselves would have an opinion.

Arriving at Hermit Lake, we eyed our modest goal.

The usual Hillman's Highway to Lower Snowfields will do nicely.

A power up on bagels, granola bars and sun and then we were off to the final slog.

Mit at one of the many "half-hour left" points.

At the top of the "choke," a curious melt pattern has exposed a rock field seperating us from the final 50 meters of snow. Having come this far, we opted to get our money's worth and go the distance.

Head down, one foot in front of the other.

Curiously, no one else made the final effort and so we enjoyed a quiet lunch under blue skies before stiching together our final descent of the year.

Mit making one of half-a-dozen turns on the upper snow patch.

Mit heading down the not-so-choked choke.

I'd say this is a happy camper.

We then crossed over to the Lower Snowfields where the corn was in fine shape and the lack of traffic allowed for wide open turns to the bottom. Grins abounded and legs burned.

The Sherbourne trail was open to about the halfway point, but seemed to be losing snow by the second. Burnt legs, grabby snow, and occasional grass steeze made for a less than stylish finale, but all was good as we took off the ski boots for the final time this season.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and still here),
    d.
    Last edited by gincognito; 05-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Cant see shit
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I can only see little crosses, D.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
    Sick and ashamed,
    d.
    As you should be, what with all those rexes. We all know you're better at the interweb than that.

Sick and ashamed and mostly disappointed at what could have been an excellent TR.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

You were missed this year at the Mammoth Mini.And by the way,can`t see shitJust had to say it,sorry,heh.

Laziness doesn't always work.
    Pics should work now...

SaAaH (and out of touch),
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Is that Wildcat in the background? Is that hikeable?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Is that Wildcat in the background? Is that hikeable?
    I skied Wildcat Sat and there is still plenty of snow on some of the trails. There were increasingly widening gaps in some spots, but overall, a lift service day well spent.

There were less than 100 cars in the parking lot and looked to be about 400 at Pinkham. No italian sausage, but many, many turns.
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

Go west young man...go west...forget about all that silly terrain in the NE...

was up there too w/family on Saturday and was SAD SO SAD to have not brought skis...

but it looks like this weekend could work. Snow holding...

p.s. REALLY REALLY FUN RIDE down to HoJo's on my butt... holy shit what a blast. No sled necessary!!!
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Hey Gin,

Sorry it took so long to post my photos.... I was really tempted to go back this weekend

Day 1 Gulf of Slides

Finally the first signs of snow

Some late afternoon turns in the shade

Lot's of snow left

Day 2 Tuckerman's / Hillman's

Hojo's

Looking into Tuckerman's Ravine

A minor roadblock

Last turns of the year in the lower snowfields

That's hot.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Awesome weekend to be on Mt. Washington. Sunday was basically perfect, maybe a tad bit cold, but still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mit View Post
    Cool pic. That's really funky. Never seen anything like that on Mt. Wash. Must be the groomer line.

Go west young man...go west...forget about all that silly terrain in the NE...
    Yep it is silly:

Nice TR. Tuckermans is something I missed while being back east.

Nice pics, Mit. Even though I do seem to have a serious hand-dropping problem. C'est la vie. Something to work on next year...
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Thumbs up

I heart Tux. Thanks for the EC stoke. Glad you could round out your season nicely.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Cool pix, thanks. Bad title.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Nice pics, I was over at Tux on 5/5/07 and skied LG from nearly the top. The top is melted out on LG like Hillman's, amde for a funny transition, but good coverage.