A SOLO TR: Coon Hill Mission

Well I got the day off from work today and I feel worthless sitting around so I had to get out. I was debating between climbing and snowboarding, both solo. The rain didn't sound fun to climb in, even aid climbing would be cold, wet and miserable, like usual . So I decided snowboarding what the way to go. I didn't know where to go though, I didn't want to repeat st. marys like last week especially because the other lines I have my eye on I would like other people around for. I got to thinking and I had a line in mind so I decided to give it my best shot.

I have seen this line for a while and have been intensely debating riding it all year. I have ridden other lines instead up untill today....

I started hiking late at about 12:30 or 1 (not sure didn't check). and I thought I might get some pow with the late start and atleast some solid snow.

I kept sinking in to my knees which indicated to me that down low it was still not frozen, and there was no new snow at all.

The view from across the valley indicated that things have been warm:

I worked my way up higher and occasionally found some firm snow, when I got above the trees and started climbing the steepeer face things started to firm up a little. Eventually I was kicking steps in really hard snow and my board was not penetrating the snow when I was moving it above me. I worked up untill I was higher then I expected I needed to be but I wasn't quite sure where I was. Due to the really hard snow I took it slow strapping in, and got my ice axe out considering I was on a face that rolled over pretty steeply into a cliff band. I rode switch across the face traversing on my toe edge, untill I encountered a slot that I thought might be my entrance. I was having a problem judging the size of my landmarks and I was off. I could tell, it just felt wrong so I got on some rocks for a view and sorted things out.

Here is some pics of the line:

The red is where I went, the blue is where I wanted to go. I got a bit disoriented while climbing and almost rode into a chute with 2 cliffed out setions. I got on some rocks and got oriented and slowly worked my way down the line.

The snow was nice up top once I got above the line, some nice corn.

You can see my jump turns above the chute comming into it:

Once I got to the choke (which was only as wide as my board is long 161 cm) I had some more difficulties. I got through it no problem, however there was a wet release that happened earlier this week or day or whatever. It left a runnel that was rock hard ice for the remainder of the chute. Needless to say it was not alot of fun, However I am glad that I finally did it. I will have to go back an hit it with pow sometime.....

Due to being solo and bad light and variable weather I didn't get alot of pics, however I feel I should unload more of this area from earlier this year to redeam the TR.

Here is a line that I did earlier this year really near the one today:

One of my favorites from this year:

The same chute after I rode it (it is the one on the right in the shadow):

The same chute from on top, looking into the tight blind choke:

Viewing another line in that area:

Slaying that line:

I pointed it from there, through the choke and alot of wind crust.

Not too shabby for an afternoon session.
    Tomorrow (or Sunday) might be better with the snow.

looks fun, solid day

Yea I got my fingers crossed for sunday. I hope I can find something to ride that is worth my time.

Solid day mang!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"