Exclamation Multiple Avy Burial!!!!!!!!!!!

I took two weeks of thought and contemplation as to whether I should post this or not. But for the learning of all, I decided to do so.

The day started out with a good vibe. A fun dusk patrol lap with 6-12" of new snow in late April. What could be more fun than a little evening pow?

Well, the day would take a tragic turn. Near the end of our April pow run, we encountered a scenario that would have us frantically digging for the lives of three, precariously buried and chilling, under the cold snows of an April avalanche.

Vid is 58mb-Windows HDV-1:30 running length.

Mission Impossible

Commanderbaker, pictured with the three 'victims'.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 05-05-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Ha!!!

good stuff...reminds me of when me and fieldysnuts buried the beer with a beacon at the 2005 mini so we wouldn't lose it.

Phew, that was a close one.

Good to see the victims came out alright.

i like the orange stickers on the bottles...

sick light on the skiing. very entertaining, the best mission impossible yet.

That high def is $$$$$ and nice work on the plot!
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Sweet...success.
    Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

I hope that wasn't in a wilderness area. Your beer sponsors would have a fit!

++++vibes++++ hope they were ok after all was said and done

nice peips ad

bwa!! good job; pretty funny!!

now, the rest of the story:

TH bails on going skiing yesterday cause of menstrual pains and then confesses to me that he left his beacon up there buried in the snow from almost 2 weeks ago and says that he thinks it is gone. Being the good friend that I am, I take a swing by the WP parking lot yesterday morning to have a looksy. Upon arrival, I can't remember the "exact" spot that we put it in. So, I trounce around a little and come up with nothing due to the new snowfall. We protected his beacon in a white Smiths bag so that isn't really helping matters at all. I even take a quick glance toward the trash can thinking someone mistakingly thought it was trash and pitched it in there.

I almost bailed under the assumption that someone snagged a free beacon and that I wasn't going to dig through the trash can looking for it, when I had an idea. So, I go grab my beacon and immediately upon turning it on, I get a signal. Initially it points to the trash can, but then led me right to the spot that I thought he'd left it. Turns out as the snow melted over the last 2 weeks it pushed the beacon down under some of the branches and thus didn't get "found" by anyone else. The whole time I was searching, I just kept saying to myself ... no friggin' way, no friggin' way. TH is the luckiest man alive today for sure!!!

Just another classic TH twitcher story for the archives
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

2 weeks? I thought most beacons could only transmit for ~200 hrs
    either way, thats sick

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    2 weeks? I thought most beacons could only transmit for ~200 hrs
    either way, thats sick
    Yeah, two weeks. The batteries started out the day at 79&#37;, and read 18% on retrieval.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    bwa!! good job; pretty funny!!

now, the rest of the story:

TH bails on going skiing yesterday cause of menstrual pains and then confesses to me that he left his beacon up there buried in the snow from almost 2 weeks ago and says that he thinks it is gone. Being the good friend that I am, I take a swing by the WP parking lot yesterday morning to have a looksy. Upon arrival, I can't remember the "exact" spot that we put it in. So, I trounce around a little and come up with nothing due to the new snowfall. We protected his beacon in a white Smiths bag so that isn't really helping matters at all. I even take a quick glance toward the trash can thinking someone mistakingly thought it was trash and pitched it in there.

I almost bailed under the assumption that someone snagged a free beacon and that I wasn't going to dig through the trash can looking for it, when I had an idea. So, I go grab my beacon and immediately upon turning it on, I get a signal. Initially it points to the trash can, but then led me right to the spot that I thought he'd left it. Turns out as the snow melted over the last 2 weeks it pushed the beacon down under some of the branches and thus didn't get "found" by anyone else. The whole time I was searching, I just kept saying to myself ... no friggin' way, no friggin' way. TH is the luckiest man alive today for sure!!!

Just another classic TH twitcher story for the archives
    Haha! I came for the film, and stayed for the beacon buried in a white bag story.
    Very entertaining thread.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Whoa! Thank god everybody was ok.

PS - I love the tight focus shots at the beginning.

Definitely the highlight of my weekend so far...I just can't believe that Beacon. Makes me rethink the brand of beacon I'll buy. As always, great work with the HD TH, the shots with the evergreens in the beginning are awesome
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

TH-
    In all seriousness, your skills on the video front are progressing nicely and the quality of the images is amazing.

kudos.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn