Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Overcome by Fear

Today my worst fear came true, again. Yet another round of treatment has failed to get control of the melanoma in my lungs. Naturally, I am extremely upset right now. It is becoming much more difficult to try and maintain a positive outlook on things.

The news today was much worse than previous visits. It seems that the progression this time was more severe than it had been in the past. Even though the doctors are telling me that things are relatively small, it is not comforting news to me.

Right now I am in shock and incredibly angry. Angry at a lot of things. This news is just incredibly painful to accept. Plans that I had made are yet again being pushed away, the future yet again filed with uncertainness. I just want my fucking life back. I want to move forward, not be stuck in a holding pattern. I’ve been dealing with this for a year now, trying anything and everything. Yet there are still no fucking answers, just more questions.

It’s going to be a rough couple of weeks. I was feeling kind of depressed as it was. I had a few things I was looking forward to and planning, but now a lot of that will have to be put on hold. Like this triathlon I had been training for in a few weeks. It looks like next week I will probably be back in the hospital on Interleukin II again. A week of that will pretty much negate any training that I have done. There is pretty much no way that I will be able to swim 1000 meters, bike 29 miles, and run a ten K a week after I get out. I have also been thinking strongly about moving back to New York City and concentrating on my career. I’m not so sure about that now. Hell, moving anywhere. I’m stuck back at my parents’ house, living in the town I never liked living in. I don’t really have any friends here anymore, nobody to talk to or go out with or just to do things with to take my mind off of all of this shit.

I haven’t been this scared in a long time, if ever. Hearing the bad news doesn’t get easier, it gets harder. The more times you hear it, the less hope you have. You try to ignore the statistics and the negative facts, but you can’t. I can’t help but wonder what is going to happen to me.

I can not rationalize any of this. This doesn’t make sense to me. Just about everything I think of is pissing me off. There is a lot of rage in me right now, as well as a deep sadness. I’m too sad to even cry. I don’t want to do anything. There’s nothing to say. Nothing anyone can say to me. I feel emotionally numb. I’m trying to get excited about something. Anything. I can’t think of anything at the moment. I don’t even want to listen to the new Dinosaur Jr. album- the first one with the original lineup in nearly two decades- that I downloaded last night, hours after its release.

It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. If it was a nice day, I might go out for a long bike ride to take my mind off of things. But if I wake up tomorrow to the sound of raindrops pelting my window, I probably won’t even want to get out of bed. I’m not looking forward to waking up tomorrow. I just want to stay in my dreams, where none of this shit will be there to bother me. Actually, I hope I don’t have any dreams tonight. If I dream, than I only get to wake up to disappointment. I’ve had enough of that, I don’t need anymore.

Fuck, how the hell am I supposed to cope with this? I don’t have any fucking clue. I just wish I could go back in time and change things. Can’t help but think if only I had caught this sooner I wouldn’t be in this situation. I would have gone on with my life and been doing whatever it is people do with their lives. I’d still have worries, like car payments and global warming, but I wouldn’t be questioning how much time I might have before I die. That’s a pretty damn tough thing to have to think about. Nobody has given me any sort of timetable (and that’s good), but it doesn’t stop me from worrying. I mean, I’m not talking about a broken bone or a torn ACL, I’m dealing with fucking cancer.

I’m trying hard to be positive, I really am. But it’s not easy. The fear is overwhelming, nearly paralyzing. I feel like I’m looking out into a void, wondering what is out there. I’m looking for some light, but for now all I see is darkness out there. Even if there is light at the end of this tunnel, I know it is going to be a rough road. The IL2 treatment beats the shit out of you. If it works this time, I’m certainly willing to take it. A few days in hell is a small price to pay to get this shit out of my body. And it showed signs of working the last time. And in conjunction with the last round of therapy, it might be just the combination I need to defeat this once and for all.

I should know what is going to happen next in a few days. My doctor has to make a few calls, talk to a few people, before coming up with a game plan. But until then, it’s going to be a rough week of waiting. At least when I’m in treatment, I feel like I’m fighting, being proactive. Right now I just want to hide away, though. Disappear. Disconnect from reality. I wish I knew what to say to make me feel better, but I don’t. I haven’t felt this bad in a long time. I just want it to go away.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Angry

1st: I am praying for you. We all are. You have an incredible amount of love behind you and with you, always.

2nd: You need to stand up and continue to own this bitch. This thing isn't going to go away on it's own. Get the fuck up and fight this whore like you know you want to. It might get harder to maintain your resolve when the news continues to be bad, but you know what you want to do. Now get up again and fucking crush it.

3rd: See 1st.

Mucho love,

R
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    DAMN mang, i wish there was something i could do to ease your pain, to make the cancer just disappear. DON'T give up hope, DON'T stop fighting, i know it sounds cliche, but it rings so true. if there is ANYTHING can do help, drop me a line, i will do what i can. if you just need someone to talk to, let me know.

++++++++vibes going your way. hang in there.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

This is some tough shit man. I'm truly sorry. Yes, I want to tell you to keep kicking, and please do, but what I really want to tell you now is that it's perfectly ok to be scared, pissed, sad, mad, and disappointed. You're going through a lot and all those emotions are your feeling are to be expected. We all deeply admire the positivity you've mantained and you've handled things way better than anyone could possibly imagine.

You've put up with more than any ten men deserve. Don't give up, we're all pulling for you.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Unhappy

Fuck shit fuck.. at a loss for words right now
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

hang in there Nils, your going to lick this thing! try to think past this shit and envision yourself on a kick ass ski trip back in whistler next year. stay strong buddy.

Shitty dude. I don't have any words of wisdom other than hang in there & try to keep a positive outlook.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I know what I wanted to say Nils....

that Dinosaur Junior album sucks

Hey, Nils,

I fukkin Love You, Man

All my thoughts and prayers are with, Brother.

Visualize the cure.

Nils, just keep fighting. You CAN overcome this. Try try try to keep maintaining a positive outlook. That's the ONLY thing you can do right now.... We are all here for you too....
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Don't give up. Keep on plugging away and beat this thing. You are a strong person.

Think positive, stay positive, beat this shit.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

You are right, there is nothing for us to say, but we are pulling for you bro. Hang in there, stay positive, beat this little fucker.

I couldn't think of any better way of handling this than what you've been doing..

You didn't sign up for one of those "other" bike tours did you, cause you know what that guy said..

check your pm's. i need to talk to you.

...and I really don't have much to add other than keep doing what you're doing. I wish I knew the right things to say to you, but I just don't, at least not right now.
    you sketchy character, you

Nils, I was just saying to Trayc and Sprite last night how sorry I was that you didn't come to the Mammoth Mini (I know you were thinking about it), and they were telling me all about how great you are, how much they love you -- basically, all really super amazing things that made me want to meet you more.

I personally know miracle stories, make yours another. I'm praying and rooting for you.

That hard news man. I'm sorry I missed you when you were out here but I know you'll be back.
    Keep on fighting, Stay strong.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

hang in there. From what I could gather while riding with you while you were shooting the Bodhi's segment for you film, you really came off as a stand up guy, and a true inspiration. you know that the maggots are really pulling for you to come out and Kick the shit out of cancer.

Keep skiing, Keep having fun, and keep enjoying life. Your a great inspiration.
    "commas are overrated...probably the only thing you learned." - Anonymous

"It's a fucking apostrophe, you fucking moron."- Darkside

What you need, boy, is to get up tomorow rain or shine and get some jalapeno poppers...you know that shit works.

I know I really don't know you, and haven't been around here long, but I just want to offer my words of encouragement.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to stay positive in a situation such as yours, and clearly it is becoming more difficult, but you need to stay strong and continue to kick this things ass. If you think you can, you can, and will.

I'm praying for you, hang tough.

Fuck fear. Kick Cancer's Ass from here to hell and back.
    Living vicariously through myself.

And what's wrong with a ride in the rain?? Just keep going. You could be like Forrest Gump.

Nils, thinking about you bud. I'll send positive vibes your way. How can anyone give advice with something like this especially when they've never been through it. But there has to be something along with ILII. The more I read, the more testimonials I hear I have started to to subscribe to: truly thinking, visualizing, convicing yourself, believing and feeling that you've rid yourself of the cancer.