TR: Dragontail Couloir RMNP 4-28-07

Those involved= DRT (mag in training), non-mags Chad, The Gina, Trip, Joe and Carl

Location= Dragontail Couloir, Flattop Mountain Rocky Mountain National Park

Saturday the six of us headed into Rocky Mountain National Park to ski Flattop Mountain. We headed out from the Bear Lake trailhead around 6:15am. We made good time on the easy skin up to the base of the couloir.

The line beginning to show itself

Chad getting his first look

It was really heating up when it was time to drop the skins and start up the couloir.

Booting up the lower section before the couloir splits

Three of us had skied route proper up the climber's left side of the split and decided to try the climber's right side while the other three headed up the standard route.

Looking down the climber's right side

Gino dropped 1st and I completely missed getting any shots of the initial drop in (which was fairly steep). I dropped next and then shot Chad coming down to the main portion of the couloir.

We met the other three where the upper forks meet and continued on down the mellower lower stretch.

Looking back up at the line

Time for BEER!

There we have it. A nice short TR about a perfect, fairly short day in RMNP...

Nice line!
    Lot's of lines were getting skied this past weekend.
    Last edited by IridePow; 05-01-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: deleted a dumb comment

I love it.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

One of my favorite lines in the park. It's got some nice pitch up top and a fun choke in the middle. Nice work.

That's a really fun line. How does the rock stop look right now? Did you climb above it and top out or stop just below it? Could you ski around it on the descent?
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

It did get awfully hot on Saturday. Most of the snow activity you see in the pics was from the day before. We had some snow rolling with us on the top portion of the climber's right side but everything held firm once we were off the steeper section...

JT,

I skied the other side from the rock step/choke section so I didn't get a good look at it first hand. The three that skied the climber's left side with the rock step said it was really filled in. They skied it from the top. I skied that side last year about two weeks earlier. There was less snow at the time and getting through the choke on skis wasn't pretty (at least for me). That shot gets so much sun I bet Sunday made it look completely different than it did on Saturday morning...

Looks good guys!

Quote Originally Posted by drt View Post
    JT,

I skied the other side from the rock step/choke section so I didn't get a good look at it first hand. The three that skied the climber's left side with the rock step said it was really filled in. They skied it from the top. I skied that side last year about two weeks earlier. There was less snow at the time and getting through the choke on skis wasn't pretty (at least for me). That shot gets so much sun I bet Sunday made it look completely different than it did on Saturday morning...
    Nice. Was just thinking about that line. In other TR's, I've often seen others using a rope to get up the rock step...but, yeah...looks really well filled in, in your shots. As you said, though, the sun hits it hard...so it may be a different story after this week...

That was one of my most favorite lines I skied last year! Nice job! Looks good right now!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

love this "looking down the elevator shaft" shot

...and jealous.
    nice work and nice pics!

i'm just curious...of all the TR's i've read on this line, everyone climbs up the couloir. Access seems much easier (you never have to take off your skins) up the flattop trail. Is there a reason you guys went the emerald lake route?

nice work and thanks for the beta---i finish up with exams soon and was going to head up to the park on wednesday and thursday with a few guys. if your gonna be around in a week and want to go back and do somethin up in there PM me.
    did you get a chance to look over to tyndell at all, wondering how thats looking this time of year...

XGnzo,

It's easier to take the Flattop trail for sure. Even though it's a short distance from the trailhead and skied often, it's steep enough for me to always want to climb it 1st to see how things are before decending. This year on the way up, well before the couloir divides, there were several hollow spots that were at least 15' deep and fairly hard to see...

Sweet Pic's, looks like fun, how late into the season does it normally hold good snow?

CAW!!!!

CAW!! CAW!!!
    CAW!

backcountry1pr,
    It's mostly south facing and tops out at about 12,000' so it's usually done sometime in early-to-mid May...

Thumbs up

looks like fun
    thanks

bump