Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Gravity dropper, how to decide

Well, I decided today. A gravity dropper it is. (yes GT, you were right I did need one)

While on my typical 8.5 mile loop with about 2K in climbing, I thought out the intricacies of how a GD might help my game. Sure, it would help a lot in Super D races, but what about everyday trail riding? So, during the ride, I thought about how many times I would have had to stop to lower my seat if I so desired, to accomplish this in a menataly punishing manner I lowered my seat 3" and rode the 5 miles back to the car with it down. This way, the suffering would be noted in my head of how many times I wish I stopped to raise it, all the while enjoying the fruits of having it down. (shrall was right, as usual) I have gotten so use to riding high on the seat post and letting my riding style accomidate for techical obstacles without lower the seat. This ride, a familiar ride, I knew the trail and where I could or couldn't air over rocks. Needless to say, my descent time was 5 minutes faster, at least. I was able to air rock sections that previously I rolled, easier to corner with speed, with less stand over height over the seat.

So, I counted, cause I am crazy like that and need numbers to back up purchase decisions. 10, is the number of times, I wish I had stopped to raise my seat over 5 miles of up and generally down riding. The downside, add 1 pound to the bike, it doesn't detract from the huge upside, make descending that much more fun and faster.

edit: so if you are looking to decide and you are the kind of person that earns your descent, but only as a means to get your dh funk on, go ahead, count
    Last edited by Crinkle; 04-30-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

interesting experiment... interesting results too.

at least you ran it alot faster, and hopefully had a little more fun in the meantime.

let me know whenever you are ready to spend the money

ps: i am strongly thinking about getting one too. thoughts on the b-bar remote? i sorta feel like its required...
    Last edited by marshalolson; 04-30-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Talking

On some rides I only use it once, and other trails I'll use it over a dozen times in one hour. I'd reccomend the one with the handle bar switch. I like the switch on the left, but you can buy it either right or left.

I have had to epoxy mine twice, and make minor adjustments, but no big deal. My first GD post is a 1-3 post (adjusts down 1 or 3 inches) my second one is a 4" for freeriding. It doesn't take long to not even notice when you change the seat height.

It is money well spent. I know other maggots have them too.
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

I have a pretty low end dual qr seatpost that works just as well for those of us who cannot afford gravity droppers. Check them out, they work just as good, except for the fact that you have to stop and lower the post.

Damn you Crinkle and your good ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I have a pretty low end dual qr seatpost that works just as well for those of us who cannot afford gravity droppers. Check them out, they work just as good, except for the fact that you have to stop and lower the post.
    did i miss something? isn't that what we already have?

I definitely want to get the GD with the remote, its "required" if you are going to this length IMO

shrall, it was WAY more fun, that was how I made my mind up in only one ride, probably re-experiment on thurs with a measured 4" so i know which one to get. I could still pedal, but barely at what i considered a 3" drop in eye measurements, but if you can pop it back up, why not go with the 4" for more clearance.

gt, why did you have to epoxy yours? damage in a crash?
    I just couldn't justify the cost for the longest time, despite your insistance on my need for one. Some leftover birthday cash has found its target.

i've got one on the hardtail, and the squish bike. the non-remote version. hate more crap cluttering up my bars. there have only been a few instances when i've wanted the remote; not enough to swap to it. the full-1"-4" post is the shit. both of mine see much use. best "upgrade" since suspension, disc brakes, and sticky rubber, IMO.

I've got the 4" with HB remote. Use it constantly. I like the middle position while on level ground. It is a big help with Bad knees. I'm in to much pain to drop the seat and leave it down for any length of time.
    Don't make me come get you....

Check out the All-Mountain Post before buying the gravity dropper. I haven't ridden one, or even seen one in person, but it seems like a more durable mechanism to me. Same price as the GD. Read this thread from mtbr for a little more info.
    Last edited by Big Blue; 04-30-2007 at 09:33 PM.

I've got two, both with remote. I really use it a lot, like Rotor says to save on the knees as much as ride aggressively with the seat down. I guess being more DH oriented I like my seat low for anything other than pure climbing. There really is no way to ride fun stuff aggressively with a seat post stuck up your ass, I don't care who you are (I personaly don't play for the team that prefers to have large metal rod's stuck up my ass while recreating). Like everyone else who uses one now, money well spent.

I don't know if you know Rotney but the folks around here can attest to his "competitiveness". The first ride I had one, we rode UPS, etc.. He bought one the next day at full retail in Moab after trying to keep up, even on the climbs. They work.

Oh yeah, GD's warranty is life time. The first set of post's were a little weak but they replaced them within a week (based out of CO as well, good for you; new magnets and the slider has changed a bit, all for the better). I've had them overnight me parts with just a phone call, great customer service. This fact alone makes me want to stand by them as well.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

I bent my handelbar lever in a crash. Beat it against rocks hard enough, it can break.

That said - go-ride sent it in and had a new replacement back for me in 3 days. If you do manage to break one, they've got awesome customer service.

It's one of those upgrades that really is worth the money.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Yep, worth the money no doubt. Got one for my trail bike and the remote action is so simple and quick, I can't tell you how many times it gets dropped then back up in a ride. Prolly 30 at least. Just the perfect tool to make your bike more fun. I got a couple of friends with the Maverick 8Ball (edit: I meant Speedball) and they love them too. Kabuki, just said it made his VP Free the ultimate all mountain bike. I would agree they complete the new generation of trail bikes.

For those that don't know. Check em out, they will change your life.
    Last edited by fondigley; 04-30-2007 at 10:27 PM.
    A gay-rage full of toys. You can guess em.

The Maverick Speedball is available with a handlebar mount this year, but I wanna hear some comparos. I really like the idea of infinite adjustability over the GD.

Either way, it's not a matter of if, but when.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 04-30-2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm interested in the Speedball too but they only make it in 2 sizes. Do they not offer shims like GD does?

speedballs are only really big size compatible. 30.9 and 31.6 i think. the GD is 27.2 + a shim.

Yeah, the Speedball is definitely limited by the large diameter post. Fortunately the Heckler is a 30.9.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

i can get you a good deal on one of those too

I just picked up the Speedball for my 6.6. Should be interesting, I've never lowered my saddle before. Maybe I'll be able to clean some shit?
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Quote Originally Posted by bauerbrian View Post
    I just picked up the Speedball for my 6.6. Should be interesting, I've never lowered my saddle before. Maybe I'll be able to clean some shit?
    I hope for your wallet's sake you first realized that you can lower your saddle even when you do not have a Speedball or Gravity Dropper seatpost. My friends and I have been raising and lowering saddles while riding off-road for years. We find it pretty easy without a 1.5 lbs "special" seatpost that adds gew-gaws and trinkets to our bikes.

and here is uncle crud, to grumpy up a thread.

bauebrian, it probably won't help you clean anything going up, but going down, it will give you a lot more room to maneuver the bike without getting a seat pounding in the ass, or having to hang waaaay out the back to roll steeper more technical

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    I hope for your wallet's sake you first realized that you can lower your saddle even when you do not have a Speedball or Gravity Dropper seatpost. My friends and I have been raising and lowering saddles while riding off-road for years. We find it pretty easy without a 1.5 lbs "special" seatpost that adds gew-gaws and trinkets to our bikes.
    Your friends and you are fucking pioneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    and here is uncle crud, to grumpy up a thread.
    Don't be unfair.

bauerbrian's post said that he'd never lowered his saddle before, but now that he has the Speedball on the way, he will.

I was making the obvious point that one doesn't need a Speedball or Gravity Dropper to lower one's saddle.

It's not about being "a pioneer," depite what Dickless Supreme homerjay says above.

It's about determining whether you need a crutch, or have the ability to get by without one. I have said here in Sprocket Rockets and on other forums that I would use a GD if I raced Super D or if I rode hilly terrain. I do not. I ride long climbs to long descents. A QR seat collar is all I need. That's the point which homerjay the emasculated one seems to miss. My friends and I ride terrain that makes it silly to use a GD or Speedball.
    Last edited by uncle crud; 05-01-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    Don't be unfair.

bauerbrian's post said that he'd never lowered his saddle before, but now that he has the Speedball on the way, he will.

I was making the obvious point that one doesn't need a Speedball or Gravity Dropper to lower one's saddle.

It's not about being "a pioneer," depite what Dickless Supreme homerjay says above.

It's about determining whether you need a crutch, or have the ability to get by without one. I have said here in Sprocket Rockets and on other forums that I would use a GD if I raced Super D or if I rode hilly terrain. I do not. I ride long climbs to long descents. A QR seat collar is all I need. That's the point which homerjay the emasculated one seems to miss. My friends and I ride terrain that makes it silly to use a GD or Speedball.
    Maybe if you added some information beforehand saying "yeah, I don't really need one due to the terrain I ride," I wouldn't have posted my remark. Instead, you proceed to shit on the speedball/gd concept in an elitist, grumpy way that makes me (and everyone else) think you're an asshole. Prove me wrong, crud.

kisses,
    dickless supreme

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    did i miss something? isn't that what we already have?
    No, its a dual QR design, a main post that goes into your seat tube, set that at a pre-set hight, then another qr on that post with a smalled diameter post inside that, to allow for more adjustment,
    great for bikes like my Enduro which you can run into issues of seatpost into shock if you have too much seatpost.