Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A CO TR:A Long day on 2 classic lines.

I met with 2 guys from fort colins at about 4:50am at the bakersville exit on saturday.
    We pormptly raced upto the top of loveland pass and started hiking at about 5:20. The views from the trail as the sun came up.

Things were going well and we weren't very tired by the time we reached the summit of our first destination.
    The summit of Grizzly:

The views were also pretty nice from the summit, there is alot of nice looking lines that drop into montezuma. I need to learn more about access to that area.

I got a couple of shots of the first line of the day (the east couloir on Grizzly) but not any action shots because no one else in my group was really fired up to shoot in the couloir(because my Cannon XTI is too big and diging it out of a pack is a hassle).

From on top of the line:

More shots of the line from a different perspective (from the bottom of our second line):

The cornice on top of the line was really small and the snow up top was really fresh, it was sloughing pretty good for the first guy in our group. I dropped second and it was still really fresh, I ripped it up the whole way!
    What a sick line!

If that wasn't enough to be happy with we all asked each other how we felt and all agreed that we were up for the next challange.

So we booted over to the north face of Torreys. Wow, I have tried to summit this bitch with snow on it 3 times prior to this and have always fallen short . 2 times from stevens gulch and once from loveland pass (got to grizzly but had no ski gear so we bailed) . I felt really confident about this attempt however.

If you have never climbed the north face on torreys before let me tell you it is somewhat of a challange compared to the other routes (kelso ridge is less daunting to me). About 3/4 of the way up the north face I had hit the wall, I was pretty spent, and had to stop for some more food, and break into my last bottle of water. After a short break I pushed on and the next thing I knew I was on the west ridge near the summit! Success is within grasp finally!

A summit shot:

At this point in time it was already 1pm so the dead dog was looking really scary with alot of fresh sun baked pow, one of the members in our group had already rode that line anyway and didn't want to do it again. So we all decided it was alot safer and smarter to save the DD for another day (possibly early season next year when access is still possible from stevens gulch) and we all rode the long north face.

some shots from in the line:

Some shots from back at the highway at bakersville:

We rode the middle finger if you couldn't tell.
    What a great long day!
    Last edited by forum8fox; 04-30-2007 at 09:17 AM.

!

FUCKIN NICE DAY OUT!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Look out behind you! Me on top of Sniktauh about the same time...our ski down was amazing, then we hit the bushwhack out and, well that was a sufferfest.

was this saturday? We saw a boot track heading towards the top of your first line. Thats a decent amount of climbing in one day, looks like you were rewarded well. Spring lines are going down in the front range

We were contemplating of hitting that line on Saturday as well.
    However we were a bit tired still from shredding all that pow on Wednesday.
    So we did something a little easier. (Square Top Mountain)

Looks really good.
    That's some strong work there fellas!

Could you guys ski the Torrey's North Chute all the way from the top, or was some hiking required?
    From the pics it looks like it went through all the way.

(Nice shots by the way)
    Last edited by IridePow; 04-30-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Positive vibes bro.

Thanks for all the positive vibes everyone!
    We rode from the top of both summits.
    for sure was one of my best days yet, alot of epic hiking, climbing, and riding.

Hopefully next weekend will be this good, got my eye on something in the tem mile, 13,950, 60 degrees, and tight..........

Any one know what the conditions are like on that peak now?

Bump..... no reason to be on page 2.

this is a fucking awesome TR. only 8 responses all day???? quality pics and writeup-- first time I've wondered if maybe too many maggots are paying lip service to particular people instead of particularly good TRs.

Sorry for being a a slacking lurker. I've been digesting this awesome TR, so close to home, so over the top. Great job guys. That's 2 good days of skiing for me.

Nice work. that's a pretty big day!
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

sick, most definitely a very long, very solid day for u guys. looks like the skiing really sucked

really cool stoke
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc View Post
    Positive vibes bro.
    I laughed

Nicely done!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Thanks again for all the responses! The skiing was the worst I have ever had in my entire life BTW

Ps. Does anyone know what pacific peak is looking like this week?

ISKIBC, what is that north couloir like to ski? I have a feeling it doesn't get skiied much. Sounds like a challanging day.

OH HELL YES!

Sweet cutty!

Nice TR too. Awesome lines!
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Hell Yeah

Missed this yesterday, so back to the top!

Great job, The first line you skied is called "The Grizzly Death Chute" and the second line you skied off of torreys is a modified version of "The Diamond". Just skier right of your entrance is the true entrance to "The Diamond". A very exposed line!

Oh yeah. Solid outing with solid lines. SOLID!

Nice I like the name of the one on grizzly (I did a coulior at st. marys that I call the hourglass of death). I was a little bummed when I realized that the better line was skiers right of where we dropped on torreys, it looked like a bit more technical through a choke section. Oh well it was still alot of fun.

How do you know the names of the lines by the way?

Very sweet TR!

Yet another tr that futher deepens my lust for moving west.

Thanks for the May Day stoke.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Nice work...long day indeed, 2 really sweet lines.

I agree...some fun shots there dropping toward zuma. I can tell where the first shot is at, given the Basin lifts...but where is this one, in relation to the first:

That shot is on the back side of the ridge that connects grizzly to I think black mountain(to the west)?

CAW!!!!

CAW!! CAW!!!!
    CAW!