0 0%
  • (reserved for other nominations)

3 2.29%

1 0.76%

1 0.76%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Eleven resorts, some with over seventy lifts within a 40 mile radius. It has to be Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs, Ste-Foy, La Plagne, Courchevel, La Tania, Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens and Valmorel.

Some of you may have to fly though.

Originally posted by bad_roo
    Eleven resorts, some with over seventy lifts within a 40 mile radius. It has to be Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs, Ste-Foy, La Plagne, Courchevel, La Tania, Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens and Valmorel.

You keen on another La Grave mini Roo? I am now almost certainly going to be there.

Edit: Actually, I think I know you are. Question is, how do we get a few more 'mericans over?

Originally posted by Mulletizer
    You keen on another La Grave mini Roo? I am now almost certainly going to be there.

Edit: Actually, I think I know you are. Question is, how do we get a few more 'mericans over?
    count me in
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Originally posted by Mulletizer

I knew there was a MiniOns. Now there's a Mini Roo too?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Blurred Elevens Guest

Thumbs up

Originally posted by bad_roo

This is a VERY GOOD point! Why not have the summit there?! I'm sure if people had it in their heads now that they were going to stay in Europe for a week next year, arrangements could be made, money saved, and jobs quit....it's got my vote!

Originally posted by Buster Highmen
    . Now there's a Mini Roo too?
    sounds like the new partner of dr. evil in the next austin powers movie
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

I was just wondering why no one brought up Europe.

Whistler is succeptible to rain at all elevations and freeze/thaw cycles (at least in my week's worth of experience). Lean snow at Taos and Telluride would be bad; but a full week of rain crust would be worse in my opinion. Would the odds of this happening to me twice in two years be slim?

The RV idea sounds pretty sweet. From SLC you could get just about anywhere in the Western US in a day's drive. You couldn't go corner to corner (a la Baker to Taos or Mammoth to Whitefish), but you could follow big storms as they traveled east.

Baker - 14.75 hrs
    Stevens Pass - 12.75 hrs
    Taos - 12.75 hrs
    Silverton - 7.25 hrs
    Tahoe - 8 hrs
    Bozeman - 6.5 hrs
    Mammoth - 10.5 hrs
    JH - 5 hrs
    Summit CO - 7 hrs
    Wolf Creek - 9 hrs
    Whitefish - 10 hrs

No love on the Massachussettes Summit idea? We can easily get a sick week out of wachussett, butternut and jiminy peak: and that's NOT even including all of Connecticut!!!

A mid-atlantic summit is another thought. Wintergreen anyone???
    You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff.

La Grave

Edit - Roo, Mullet....I'm in.
    Last edited by truth; 03-18-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Originally posted by Honc
    No love on the Massachussettes Summit idea? We can easily get a sick week out of wachussett, butternut and jiminy peak: and that's NOT even including all of Connecticut!!!

Ski Yawgoo!

Don't forget Nashoba Valley. You could spend a whole week their alone.

I think a mini-summit at Stratton or Mount Snow on President's Day weekend would be the shizzy!

Summer-summit at Tenney? Anyone?

I can not believe that people have not brought up Woodbury. And it's within driving distance of Hartford Connecticut. Come on guys!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

man that trail with the squiggly line looks tough.

I would be stoked to return to the Alps. I would vote for a Euro summit if during my spring break??? Probably too late for most. Damn.

Anyone for St. Anton around new years. I'm planning on another week there during new years. 3rd in the last 4 years spent there, and this year was in the deep Alta pow. If I had Alta pow this year and would return to St. Anton next year that must say something about the genius of the Alps.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Originally posted by grrrr
    Ski Yawgoo!
    Hehe, Rhode Island terrain is sick I tells ya, SICK!

I kinda like the Europe idea. La Grave and Cham.

B)

Whistler/Blackcomb or Europe for me.
    As much as I like JH, I couldn't stand a whole Summit based on Jackson/Targhee. Sorry.

Whistler, Southwest Colo or Interior BC.

A summit should have an exceptional draw. Something compelling, unique and sublime about it.

I always figured the key ingredient that made a summit would be plenty of obliging locals on hand to show you the goods - which is why Utah and Tahoe work so well. Otherwise you're just a tourist.

Whistler / Blackcomb

mid-atlantic summer mini-summit: rides on the alpine slides at seven springs, steelers mini-camp at st. vincent's college, tours of frank lloyd wright's fallingwater/kentuck knob and a visit to the rolling rock brewery in latrobe. this idea is already gaining momentum, no?

seriously though, a summit in europe would be awesome- maybe using geneva or innsbruck as a launching pad? think of the fondue and/or yodeling possibilities people! get those passport applications started asap.

how cool would it be to mimic that "old" article in Powder (or maybe skiing) about a N.Y. ski bum that toured all the Montana mountains. I believe they were Big Sky, Bridge, Big, Turner, Lost Powder, etc.??
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Tribute to 'Blizzard of Aahhs' in Chamonix would be the shit. Ski some crazy lines. Wear fartbags for a day. Track down Murray Ball. Side trips to Verbier/La Grave/Ste Foy for fun. Really put on a show, Euro style.

Whatever happens with "big" summits, I will (if I don't hurt myself) be in La Grave all winter and delighted to show any maggots a good time on and off the mountain. Should be in a better state to do it than I was for Roo, Monkey, Truth and Ripz in January too. Consider the invitation open.

Whistler/Blackcomb for sure.
    yeah, it can rain top or bottom or freeze-thaw, but the mountains and village are sick, there is reasonably inexpensive heli and cat ops based there, and the resort-accessed bc is simply unreal. IMHO, the pros far outweigh the cons.

In the "It would be kool but it'll never happen category" how about doing what powdermag did and tour all the little unknown ski areas in B.C.'s "north" that get like 700 inches a year, and throw in a day of last frontier heli too. Great powder and backcounty, no crowds, hard drinking locals.

-Ben

I vote for Colorado. Centrally located, bigass airport with cheap flights, cheap lift tix (if you buy them in Denver on the way up) - u could base out of Summit Co and go wherever