How to catch Snook- Day and Night (an ongoing TR)

The following is a two day TR. Last Thursday night and this Sunday.

The key to getting big snook is mostly timing. If you like to fish at night, then the Snook is your friend. They are night predators. They are also very lazy hunters. They like to ambush stuff from around structure in short bursts. They don't like to work too hard. Therefore, we like to fish them on the outgoing tide, when all the good stuff is swept off the flats on its way back to the sea. Incoming tide works well too, but I have more luck on the ebb.

First thing you do, is you get you a boat. Preferably someone else's. Gas money is much easier to pay for.

Wouldn't mind taking that one with the trip. 275s for a spin.

Next you scope future spots while you burn the little bit of daylight left.

Start heading to the spot when the sun is dipping below the horizon.
    No Wake zones don't look so bad when the draw-bridge is up. Don't worry- we waved to them as we went by.

I hate it when our secret spots get so crowded.

Once the sun goes down, set up within casting distance of a dock like this.

Those lights are called Snook lights, and yes- it is cheating. I don't care.

FYI- It was a bad night to try out the "Black Widow" for the first time.

Damn thing was like trying to cast a feather duster. I have since figured it out a bit better.

Here is a pic of the fish we caught.

That's fishin'.
    Last edited by warthog; 04-23-2007 at 04:25 PM.

night fly fishing for snook is arguably my most favorite thing to do

ive generally had great luck with a shiny shrimp pattern
    as soon as it hits the water, strip it super fast in short little bursts just like when the shrimp jump accross the water.

f'in ownerage.

Part 2- Sunday

Daytime Snook are a bit tougher. Same tide rule, but they just don't bite as much.

We decided to use live bait today.

Here is my buddy Vince scoping the bait, and ready to throw.

Here is a nice toss, that netted us, well, not much. But it was a nice toss.

We fished some docks for a while, got a small flounder and some ladyfish. Fun, but not why we were there. We got suspicious of our choice of spots when these guys showed up.

Fishing Gapers with guide.

Like in skiing, the outfits give you away. Guide with baseball cap on is obviously gonna earn his money today.

We left that scene, and went out to a small wreck at the mouth of the bay. Dropped to the bottom for some grouper. Got some small ones.

I think the bait he ate was half his size.

This guy was a little more respectable, but still under.

That was it. Nice day on the water, as usual.

I'll keep updating this all season. The pics and the fish should get better and better.

Tight Lines.

I'm coming to your house.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Sweet I'll get the spare room set up.

That's a ton of traffic on the bayway, the draw span must have been up. It's nice to see the mangroves with the Don in the background. Daisy Banks used to hold lots of fish on the falling tides....so fun when the stray tarpon or cobia would stop by to pick a fight......
    "It's only a flesh wound"

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    so am i........
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Awesomeness, the first fishing TR! Thanks for the stoke, I hope to be providing some soon................7 months with no "good" day, I'm starting to go nuts. Callibaetis season is upon us
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Awesomeness, the first fishing TR! Thanks for the stoke, I hope to be providing some soon................7 months with no "good" day, I'm starting to go nuts. Callibaetis season is upon us
    Just glad I can finally provide some TRs. Glad you guys found it interesting, even with the lack of fishyness. I'll keep adding to it throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Callibaetis season is upon us
    Ummmm, Callibeatis.
    This is the worst pain EVER!